1983 Carnival Capers-Mardi Gras

Disfan5

There was another thread from October 2014 where the "Male Nightgown Contest" was brought up. We were on Carnival Festivale for our honeymoon (first cruise) in 1992 on a southern itinerary out of San Juan. We went to see the "Male Nightgown Contest" (sorry, no pics, but do have it on video) and it was hilarious. I posted the "Carnival Capers", with mention of the "Male Nightgown Contest" and a few other blasts from the past to the thread. Others submitted pictures. I'll attach the link to that thread for anyone interested: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101773

This is great- thanks for sharing! I went on a cruise back in 1986 on Commodore Line's MS Boheme, and this is very similar to the daily bulletins we had on that ship. I still have them- I always mean to scan them and post to Cruise Critic, but I never get around to it.

My first ever cruise was on Commodore's MS Caribe "The Happy Ship" about 35 years ago. My first Carnival cruise was on the Mardi Gras in 1984.

Really enjoy this post, thanks.

1st and 2nd seating breakfast. It's vacation, don't want to miss breakfast at 7:45AM!! Ouch!

It is REALLY incredible to read through and go "They don't do that anymore, or that, or that, or that, or that..." If they still did all that stuff every post on the forum would say OMG BOOKING ANOTHER!!!!!

There's a reason that some things have disappeared or been scaled down on Carnival since then. As I noted above, my first Carnival cruise was on the Mardi Gras in 1984 and I remember paying $599/pp for a tiny (and I mean tiny!) inside cabin.

Not only was that much more than similar cabins are going for these days as a straight dollar-for-dollar comparison, but using the Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator, $599 in 1984 dollars is equivalent to $1,372.29 in 2014 dollars.

That's $1,372 per person for a tiny inside cabin on a tiny (by today's standards) ship with few amenities for a 7-day Caribbean cruise. I wonder if all of the people who normally complain about Carnival's cutbacks over the years would be willing to pay almost $3k for two people in a small inside cabin on a lower deck in order to get those services and items reinstated?