1983 Carnival Capers-Mardi Gras

Disfan5

I though you might enjoy this really old Carnival Capers. It was the first cruise my husbands family went on. Although I didn't go on this cruise, I do note that they do have somethings that aren't offered anymore....golf driving off the aft deck and skeet shooting. They also had a midnight buffet.

12251410041.jpg

1225141004a.jpg

The wife and I went on the Mardi Gras in 1981 for our honeymoon. It was 5 star for 7 days. Boy oh boy have things changed over the last 30 some years .Midnight buffet was fabulous, then there was a late, late night buffet at 1.30 AM:eek: Everyone wore a suit to dinner every night.

Really enjoy this post, thanks.

1st and 2nd seating breakfast. It's vacation, don't want to miss breakfast at 7:45AM!! Ouch!

It is REALLY incredible to read through and go "They don't do that anymore, or that, or that, or that, or that..." If they still did all that stuff every post on the forum would say OMG BOOKING ANOTHER!!!!!

Edited by LMaxwell

I'll probably show my geeky side by saying this, but that newsletter looks like it's been printed on a dot matrix printer, or even typed out on a typewriter and photocopied. Granted, it's less colorful that today's Fun Times, but I wish I could have experienced the cruising when Mardi Gras was around.

This is great- thanks for sharing! I went on a cruise back in 1986 on Commodore Line's MS Boheme, and this is very similar to the daily bulletins we had on that ship. I still have them- I always mean to scan them and post to Cruise Critic, but I never get around to it.

I'll probably show my geeky side by saying this, but that newsletter looks like it's been printed on a dot matrix printer, or even typed out on a typewriter and photocopied. Granted, it's less colorful that today's Fun Times, but I wish I could have experienced the cruising when Mardi Gras was around.

If you blow up the photo, you can tell it's from a dot matrix printer. Of course the younger generation probably has no clue what a dot matrix printer is, or a typewriter for that matter......

This is great- thanks for sharing! I went on a cruise back in 1986 on Commodore Line's MS Boheme, and this is very similar to the daily bulletins we had on that ship. I still have them- I always mean to scan them and post to Cruise Critic, but I never get around to it.

No time like the present that would be fun to see

I've posted several of these before, but since the topic is the 'activities' on the older Carnival ships, I thought I'd share these pictures from 1984 on the Mardi Gras...

The Men's Nightgown Contest...

MensNightgownContest.jpg

The beer drinking contest...

BeerContest.jpg

Mardi Gras at Cozumel...

MardiGras3-1.jpg

and lastly, the skeet-shooting...

SkeetShooting.jpg

Dot Matrix and Mimeograph. The Nightgown Flyer is almost definitely mimeographed.

One big improvement is the Sail and Sign card. No lugging cash or CC around the ship.

Cruise director Kenny Day...I remember him! I think I had him on my first cruise on the Carnivale in 1985. My sister & I talked my brother into doing the male nightgown contest once. HYSTERICAL! I miss that. They also used to have hairy chest, beer chugging (men vs women) Pillow fights (sit on a big blue padded pole & try & knock your competitor off using a pillow) It was much "wilder" back in the 80's. I would have been in for the TV's "Match Game" competition!

I'd forgotten they used to have different sittings at breakfast and lunch. I'm glad they did away with that!

I did too! I vaguely remember having lunch on my first cruise on the Holiday and we were at our assigned table with our dinner server in a mostly empty dining room. That was in 2000 and it must of changed not much after that cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for posting! Brings back memories of our 1986 Mardi Gras cruise. Yes, I remember wearing suits & gowns to dinner. Whole different ballgame today. I kinda miss the elegance of cruising years ago.

So do I. People that started cruising after about 2000 have no idea what they're missing.

Irene