Premium drink package

Ksimpson76

I did the premium and will not purchase it for our next cruise. I want to compare and see if it's worth the cost. I took two bottles of wine onboard that I didn't touch. I also missed out on many shows and activities, as I spent much of my day at the swimming pool bar.

It was fun, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I missed out on a lot of what the ship has to offer. I won't do that again.

Yes, thousands upon thousands have purchased Premium package and enjoyed it. We've had it several times and Ultimate several times. We enjoy both. If at any point during your sailing you decide you'd rather have to ultimate, go to guest services and upgrade. No problem

Most times, premium is perfectly fine for us. We have seen no difference in our cruise habits or drinking habits having the package or not - we don't find ourselves missing activities currently cuz we're by the bar trying to get our money's worth or anything like that - we still drink like we normally would, it's just added convenience. Premium and Ultimate include exactly the same booze wine options, the only difference is specialty coffees, fresh squeezed OJ and sparkling water (and fruit smoothies at Vitality Cafe, and bottles of powerade). On some cruises that has mattered to us, on others it hasn't

You can always upgrade after a day or two or three If you find the Ultimate is a better fit.

2 questions.

1. Has anyone done the premium drink package and wished they did the ultimate package instead? If so, why?

2. I read that you can use the drink packages on the private stops like Labadee, is this correct?

I've done the premium package twice and never had an inkling to upgrade. Know that you can (and should) ask for "top shelf" offerings. We sat next to a couple on our 3rd night of sailing that thought they could only have "well" liquors with the package. Upon my advice at dinner, they enjoyed the higher end offering for the rest of the trip. Man a Grey Goose Bloody Mary with a float of Absolut Pepper on top sounds good right now.

And as has been stated, Yes on Labadee (ad Coco Cay too). To "maximize" your experience on Labadee, I recommend Columbus Cove. Two bars a short walk away; never busy. Plus, they serve the lunch over there which I found far less busy than the main area closer to the ship.

Yes, thousands upon thousands have purchased Premium package and enjoyed it. We've had it several times and Ultimate several times. We enjoy both. If at any point during your sailing you decide you'd rather have to ultimate, go to guest services and upgrade. No problem

Most times, premium is perfectly fine for us. We have seen no difference in our cruise habits or drinking habits having the package or not - we don't find ourselves missing activities currently cuz we're by the bar trying to get our money's worth or anything like that - we still drink like we normally would, it's just added convenience. Premium and Ultimate include exactly the same booze wine options, the only difference is specialty coffees, fresh squeezed OJ and sparkling water (and fruit smoothies at Vitality Cafe, and bottles of powerade). On some cruises that has mattered to us, on others it hasn't

You can always upgrade after a day or two or three If you find the Ultimate is a better fit.

Never said we were trying to get our money's worth. Did we enjoy it? Yes! The only convenience is paying up front as opposed to the end of our trip. I was sharing my experience. I may even purchase it in the future, I just would like to compare before I purchase again.

Hmmm...now I'm confused...my Son in LAW is a scotch/votka drinker as well as beer...I thought the "hard liquor " was only available on the more expensive of the two ?

Someone clarify please...me. "Bill Wilson" and I just go for the soda and no booze drink packages..so I'm just clueless to help him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Hmmm...now I'm confused...my Son in LAW is a scotch/votka drinker as well as beer...I thought the "hard liquor " was only available on the more expensive of the two ?

Someone clarify please...me. "Bill Wilson" and I just go for the soda and no booze drink packages..so I'm just clueless to help him

Here is a flyer with a description of the packages:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

The alcohol for the Premium package and the Ultimate are exactly the same, even the dollar amt. per drink. The ultimate package then adds in premium coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice and sparking water.

If your son in law doesnt drink the extra items then I would just get the premium package.

So if I understand correctly gartuities and taxes are not included. (taxes while sitting in port at the Skybar waiting to set sail).

So on top of say the $35.00 select package each $5.25 beer I got would have an additional $.78 in gratuity, and if bought while still in port another $36 in tax? Do they give you a receipt showing the total with the 5.25 subtracted but the gratuity still being charged?

Thinking a day at sea around the pool one could probably drink 6 to 8 beers throughout the day so that would be an additional $6.24 for the day on top of the 35.00.

I have made the mistake of buying a bucket of beer while still in port waiting to sail and getting hit with the tax. Better off to just buy 1 or two then wait till out to sea to buy the bucket i guess.

DH just loved the Premium package, enjoyed it, got to try alot of new drinks and if he did not like it..........tried another, and did not feel wasteful.

Mind you, they made money off him, but who cares, its a cruise.

He does not want to upgrade, the premium is just fine.

Sea Ya

So if I understand correctly gartuities and taxes are not included. (taxes while sitting in port at the Skybar waiting to set sail).

So on top of say the $35.00 select package each $5.25 beer I got would have an additional $.78 in gratuity, and if bought while still in port another $36 in tax? Do they give you a receipt showing the total with the 5.25 subtracted but the gratuity still being charged?

Thinking a day at sea around the pool one could probably drink 6 to 8 beers throughout the day so that would be an additional $6.24 for the day on top of the 35.00.

I have made the mistake of buying a bucket of beer while still in port waiting to sail and getting hit with the tax. Better off to just buy 1 or two then wait till out to sea to buy the bucket i guess.

When you purchase the package tax will be added. There is no additional tax added when you get the drinks, even when in port.

When you purchase the package tax will be added. There is no additional tax added when you get the drinks, even when in port.

I just logged into my RCCL account and added the pkg to my cart, I see they are adding $10.50 service charge

I just logged into my RCCL account and added the pkg to my cart, I see they are adding $10.50 service charge

That is taxes/gratuities. (Although they don't come out and say gratuities)

There will be no more charges once onboard.

Btw, that price is the same if you purchase ahead of time, or wait until on the ship.

Is the $5.25 mentioned the correct price for a beer (sailing on the Allure)? I am trying to determine if the package is worth the cost for my husband who may have 3 or so beers per day.

Depends on which package you're looking at and what else he may care to drink (eg will be want juice, water, soda etc)

Generally it takes 5 or more drinks to break even if he is only having beer, so perhaps better just paying each drink as you go.

Is the $5.25 mentioned the correct price for a beer (sailing on the Allure)? I am trying to determine if the package is worth the cost for my husband who may have 3 or so beers per day.

That's what a Miller Lite in the aluminum bottle cost on Brilliance a few weeks ago

I ended up going with the Ultimate Package for our upcoming cruise due to the champagne promotion RCCL is offering. It ended up being about $100 more but saves me from having to buy 2 bottles of Champagne to carry on board so I basically break even.

I think that's a reasonable price to use as a guide. Some beers are as low as $4.25 and others are up to $6.50. There's even one that's $20, but that is not included in any of the packages.

I realize gratuity is added to any package. Can you avoid sales tax if you wait until you are sailing?

There is no US sales tax on the beverage packages, whether you buy pre-cruise or on board.

Edited by clarea