Photo Review: Solo Cruise for 30th birthday on Celebrity Constellation 12-13-14

alainamarie

Thank you for taking the time to write this review... I am really enjoying reading it.

I will be on the Constellation in February for the first time and looking forward to it. We have been on the Solstice in the past and enjoyed Celebrity - have done 8 other cruises with different cruise lines.

It is always interesting to read what others think of the ship.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review.. Again, than you

You will enjoy! Have a fantastic time and do a review so I can enjoy it!

-Alaina

Beverage Package

I have no idea why this is such a talked about topic on CC. The rules and restrictions are black and white. I did upgrade to a premium package for $103.50 and I’m glad I did so. I had many drinks at the martini bar and discovered a Kendall Jackson Pinot that I loved, all over the classic limit. It really just depends on what you like to drink. I personally don’t like limits or keeping a count of how much/how often I am drinking, so it works for me.

I also think they should change the rule about the classic package so they can just pay the difference if a drink goes over the limit. I didn’t have to worry about this, but it was nice to know that if I wanted a drink over $13, I could simply pay the difference. Perhaps that’s a way of encouraging people to upgrade. I was also able to get Evian water and I do not think this was available on the classic package.

I got several bottles of water a day – around 3-4 at minimum. I also got 1-2 cups of coffee – either latte, cappuccino, or an IGLU. I had a pina colada, several martinis, glasses of wine at dinner, pre-dinner grey goose with cranberry and lime, and club drinks – usually Captain and Coke.

Did I use $60 a day? Definitely not. Is it still worth it to receive the promotion and upgrade? Absolutely! Don’t over think it. Just ask yourself the same questions and you can easily determine if it’s worth it. On day 1 and 2, I tried to keep up with what I drank, I quickly got over it, but I really wanted to see if it would be worth it. I will have to sit down with it to figure that out. I would never pay for this package out of pocket, but I would HAPPILY accept another promotion.

Pool Area

I can’t speak on this subject in great detail because I did not get into any of the pools or hot tubs. The T-pool as well as the outdoor pool both seemed to be maintained really well. I love the availability of towels – there were several towel stations around all of the pool areas. I found most areas to be well kept and clean, no visible wear and tear.

Like I said, I did not spent a great deal of time out here, so I can't speak on this subject too much. I laid out on the deck twice - once during sailaway from St. Croix and the other on a sea day to get some sun. I found other ways to busy myself, but the service did not seem to be lacking.

Entertainment

I saved all of the dailies so I can list the entertainment. I was not expecting to enjoy the shows just based on the CC reviews and information. I was a little surprised by the nightly entertainment and I really enjoyed each show, but for different reasons.

My nap time did run a little long a couple of nights and I missed two of the shows.

Just a warning: if you order a drink, don’t expect it until the show has started. The waiters have to take a good bit of orders before they will go to the bar. I finally stopped ordering in here when I realized the bar was just not that great. My mohito had no simple syrup and a glass full of lime – just weird.

Here’s a recap:

12/13 Gareth Oliver - ventriloquist

12/14 iHollywood – Hollywood’s musicals come alive

12/15 Jayne Curry – singer/entertainer

12/16 Rondell Sherdian was cancelled since he could not make it on the ship and I think the ship dancers did a replacement show

12/17 The Land of Make Believe – modern day musical twist

12/18 Amy Lee – musician/solosit

12/19 Michael White - magician

12/20 Celebrate the World – music and dance

12/21 Rondell Sheridan – comedy show

Edited by alainamarie

Bars/Clubs

I met my dinner mates at the Rendezvous lounge prior to dinner just about every night. In the beginning, I would sit at the martini bar and have a martini around 8 just to kill a little time. The martini bar was not as busy around this time. When I realized my table mates would hang out in Rendezvous prior, I started hanging out with them. I would usually get a grey goose with cranberry and lime (or two). The service was pretty good although you often had to wait a bit for your drink. They had a small dance floor where a little more of the ‘elegant dancing’ occurred. Ballroom, salsa, that type of thing.

Martini bar is fantastic. Probably my favorite bar on the ship. This bar can get very busy, so you really have to time it just right or plan to wait a little. The bartenders here are loaded with personality and definitely know how to have fun while on the job. You have to watch them put on a show at least once, even if you are not a drinker it is worth the watch.

Some pictures of the Martini Bar

ry%3D400

My favorite mixologist

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

I spent several nights ending my day at Reflections. Great DJ or band would play, this is where we had the most fun. It is a bit of a younger crowd, but I must say, the dance floor was covered by all ages.

They also did the Newylwed game – the place was packed for the game! We fell in love with the two bartenders here; they knew us by name by Friday. So if you want to listen to great music, dance, and have a drink –this is your place. This is really the only ‘club’ styled place. Just beware: if you’ve had too much to drink, no food is open after 1a – room service will be your only option. (And no, I never called room service!)

This is the Spotlight with the crew- very small since it's from my phone. Not sure how to upload pdf's here, but I'm happy to upload my dailies if someone can explain how to upload.

ImageUploadedByForums1420691092.573675.jpg.a435f68315c70a8ef5b2553295b57ea1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by alainamarie

Great review! I just booked the constellation for 2/16/16, for my 30th birthday! I, too, have only sailed Carnival, and I've loved every cruise, so I'm a bit nervous going outside my comfort zone. Did the ship seem updated? I know it's an older ship, I'm worried about signs of wear and tear. I'm super excited, and really appreciate your detailed review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review! I just booked the constellation for 2/16/16, for my 30th birthday! I, too, have only sailed Carnival, and I've loved every cruise, so I'm a bit nervous going outside my comfort zone. Did the ship seem updated? I know it's an older ship, I'm worried about signs of wear and tear. I'm super excited, and really appreciate your detailed review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great way to spend your 30th! I think you will enjoy Celebrity. It didn't live up to my expectations completely, but was still an amazing cruise! I did not notice much wear and tear, you really wouldn't know Connie is as old as she is. I'm sure she isn't as jazzed up as an S-class ship, but she was in good condition.

Happy birthday and enjoy your cruise!!

-Alaina

Spa

I visited the spa three times, all with the same therapist. On Monday, I took advantage of the rainy Labadee weather. I scheduled a tension zone massage and was fortunate enough to have Karine (K) as my therapist. She was AMAZING! We also got along great, so it made my experience even more enjoyable. I scheduled a reflexology foot massage for the next day since we were getting in to San Juan so late. I enjoyed her both times so much that I scheduled a tension zone massage again on Saturday. Now you know you love someone when you are willing to pay full price on a sailing day. The type of massage I like never became available on a ‘daily special’. I can also say this is the only money that was charged to my account – another benefit to having the beverage package. It’s nice to budget out spa time since it was my only expense during the cruise. Canyon Ranch did a very nice job of creating a relaxing and inviting atmosphere. The spa is not for everyone and it can be pricey since 18% gratuity is included. I did not partake in the other areas of the spa, I do know a few people who loved the heated ‘chairs’ and soaking tubs. I cannot attest to that, but I do know they enjoyed the Persian Garden areas very much.

Captain & Cruise Director

I feel that the Captain deserves his own section. He kept us laughing and on our toes the entire cruise. I feel that our ship could not have been commanded by anyone more competent or socialable than Tasos. I appreciated his wit, humor, and accessibility. He even photo bombed a family photo at my dinner table. Anyone who is able to meet him or cruise on his ship will instantly understand.

The Cruise Director Rich was also excellent… he was very personable and seemed to seek people out to have conversations. I found the shows and entertainment to be pretty organized, but I would not be the best judge since I did not attend all of the shows.

Cruise Critic Meet & Greet and Cabin Crawl

I was a little late getting to the party, but it was very well attended. The staff did a very good job of having name tags displayed and making the event happen. I recognized some faces from the Sailaway party, so it was nice to see everyone again. The m&g lasted around 15-20 minutes. Then I announced that anyone attending the cabin crawl could follow suit. I’ve never participated in a cabin crawl much less “lead” one, so I had to apologize many times for not really knowing what to do. I had my list with me that I organized based on cabin location. We started somewhat forward, then all the way forward with my cabin, then midship, and lastly toward the aft. I think we all enjoyed seeing an aqua class balcony, oversized forward facing OV cabin, sky suite, and two family verandas. It was so neat to compare and contrast all of the different types of cabins. I think I was most surprised by the family verandas – the balcony is AMAZING and HUGE!!! The corner family veranda had a balcony that is probably larger than those in suites. Thanks to everyone who opened up their room! I don’t know if I would want to be the organizer of this again because I had no idea what I was doing, but it was a TON of fun.

Disembarkation

I went to Guest Relations (my only visit to the desk) to ask for later passes to exit the ship since my flight was for 3:20p. He happily gave me #31 which means I could exit the ship around 9:15-9:30. I had a knock on my door at 7:30a and it was the female cabin attendant who said “oh I thought you were gone, I will come back”. I have no idea why she thought I was gone. So of course that made me feel rushed and maybe that is what she was going for, not sure. I put my luggage out the door around 11-ish the night before, so the suitcases are not a worry. I did my morning routine and packed what was left in my backpack and headed to the buffet. I must say the area was pretty calm and quiet around 8-815 when I arrived to the buffet. I had breakfast and found the family I had dinner with playing cards. I sat with them until 9; we did have to move a couple of times because they were cleaning. I could tell the staff was tired of us hanging around because they were really trying to start the cleaning process. Finally around 9:20 we exited and grabbed our luggage. There was a line to go through customs, but the line moved quickly.

I also found it VERY confusing and overwhelming to figure out where to go once you were outside. I had to ask someone where to go if you paid for Celebrity transfers. Finally made my way alllll the way to the end and found the man with a clipboard. I was the last one on the bus and we headed to the airport. Quick trip (less than 15 minutes) and I tried to check in to my flight. It was too early so I was sent downstairs to check my luggage. Seemed like a lot of unnecessary up and down, but either way, it was all taken care of. I had lunch at Landshark with the family from the dinner table. Our flights left from the same gate area, so we enjoyed each others company until our flights left.

Edited by alainamarie

Thank you for a great review of your birthday cruise and your impressions of the Constellation and Celebrity.

I love the Constellation and will be booking on the Constellaiton for Europe 2016 in thenext month.

I have met three women who cruised solo on my previous cruises. They were all nurses BTW. :) Sounds like you are very outgoing and know how to meet people and yet like to be on your own time too.

Edited by Azulann

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed your review. We've been on Connie 3 times but it's been awhile. We've booked the 9 night sailing for next February.

I do take issue with one observation made. You said you def didn't spend $60/day for drinks. However when you total "3-4 bottles of water, a couple of specialty coffees, a couple martinis, and a couple glasses of wine with dinner," surely that totals at least $60. And that doesn't include any fresh squeezed oj or a night cap? No?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I really enjoyed your review. We've been on Connie 3 times but it's been awhile. We've booked the 9 night sailing for next February.

I do take issue with one observation made. You said you def didn't spend $60/day for drinks. However when you total "3-4 bottles of water, a couple of specialty coffees, a couple martinis, and a couple glasses of wine with dinner," surely that totals at least $60. And that doesn't include any fresh squeezed oj or a night cap? No?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for reading! I only had that combination of drinks on perhaps 1-2 days. Usually I had a couple of bottles of water and coffee. There were a couple of days/nights that I drank no alcohol at all, so those were the days that were not really worth it. Especially if I just had water, coffee, one martini or glass of wine. I'm not a big drinker of alcohol, so that is why I rarely totalled $60. I did not have any smoothies or fresh squeezed OJ at all. That's a personal choice because I chose to utilize my calories in other ways ;)

I will be posting my final thoughts soon so I can conclude this review!

-Alaina

Thank you for a great review of your birthday cruise and your impressions of the Constellation and Celebrity.

I love the Constellation and will be booking on the Constellaiton for Europe 2016 in thenext month.

I have met three women who cruised solo on my previous cruises. They were all nurses BTW. :) Sounds like you are very outgoing and know how to meet people and yet like to be on your own time too.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I really enjoyed my solo experience even though two families really made my solo adventure even more fun. Connie was an amazing ship and I would definitely sail her again. I will be looking at other lines just so I can try them all. And who can beat the beverage promotion?! :)

Take care!

Alaina

Alainamarie, you did a GREAT job organizing everything, and I'm sure everybody in the roll call agrees. Your enthusiasm really got people interested. Thank you!

Thank you so much! Thanks again for opening up your beautiful sky suite. We all loved you and Raylene so much! I had a lot of fun organizing and I'm glad we all enjoyed our cruise!

Take care and keep in touch!

-Alaina

Thanks for taking time to write the review...really enjoyed it.

questions:

how did you know about the "closing curtains" policy at night? I have never heard of that (but never had a forward facing cabin)...i assume there was a note in room?

And what percentage of the 100 pounds of clothes did you not every use? Just curious...our first X cruise we packed just like that(we each had 2 suitcases)...we now only each take a "carry on size" rollerbag and backpack.

Thanks for taking time to write the review...really enjoyed it.

questions:

how did you know about the "closing curtains" policy at night? I have never heard of that (but never had a forward facing cabin)...i assume there was a note in room?

And what percentage of the 100 pounds of clothes did you not every use? Just curious...our first X cruise we packed just like that(we each had 2 suitcases)...we now only each take a "carry on size" rollerbag and backpack.

I actually found out about closing the curtain from CC. I also found out about the forward facing OV rooms from CC as well. I discovered the rooms on the deckplans and researched through CC. A CC member wrote that she had a phone call from the front desk when she left her curtain open, but I actually received a knock on my door. What's crazy is that my curtain was only open for 5 minutes because I was showing my room to dinner table mates and they opened the curtain to see the helipad.

I would say I used about 83% of what I brought. (I know that's a random # but it's accurate). I found that I overpacked on casual outfits - I struggle with rationalizing # of outfits for just about every trip. I also brought lysol/febreeze/OFF that I could have done without. I did use the Clorox wipes a good bit. I used all of my cosemetics and found this was something I did not overpack on. I also packed 11 pairs of shoes and did not use only two out of the 11. I really need to work on this in the future! :p

Thanks for reading!

-Alaina

Final Thoughts

I had a really great cruise… I think if you want to find the negative, you don’t have to look far, but I really try to keep an open mind. Each section is truly my honest opinion and not my version of negativity towards any cruise line in particular. I did enjoy my cruise, however, what I was sold was ‘Modern Luxury’ and I do not feel that the product I received lived up to this tagline. I enjoyed the food, drinks, cabin, fun, but most of all, I enjoyed what could not be replaced - the wonderful people I was lucky enough to share a dinner table with. They made my cruise experience exceed any expectation I could have ever dreamed of. I know this sounds crazy, but for a 30 year old girl traveling alone, this changed my cruising experience. It made the food taste a little better, the music sound a little louder, and the drinks taste sweeter.

Yes, I enjoyed my home away from home for 9 nights and I also enjoyed the company. I do feel that Celebrity has to step it up a bit in the way of service and perhaps even food options and presentation. I did not feel I was on an ‘old ship’ at any time. I would love to experience an S class ship just for comparison sake. I do not choose a cruise based on the age of ship, but I do think it would be nice to think outside the box and try something new.

I would not say I have any complaints, but mostly suggestions as to how Celebrity can do it better. I also want to state that I as well as the frequent cruisers at my table both noticed that the staff is really over worked. They work very long shifts and this could possibly be the cause of the declined service I’ve mentioned a few times. We noticed that the lack of anyone going above and beyond was more than likely because there was not enough staff to man each area. Again, this is a simple observation in hopes that things do change in the future and for the better. I also hope Celebrity looks in to a variation of the menu as well as enhancing food options.

Thank you to each and every one of you reading my review. I look forward to reading all of your reviews and hope you enjoy Connie in the future!

Thanks for your detailed review! I have only cruised once in 1999 to Alaska, so this helped. I'm sailing in March on the constellation. While I want a four seasons level cruise-I'm pretty sure that's not celebrity. So I appreciated your thoughtfulness in the review. Based on all I've read, I'm setting my expectations low - that's worked out great for my Disney trips. That way I'm pleasantly surprised when for example the food is not just edible but tasty too. :)

I'm sorry to read that the crew is stretched thin, overworked, and/or under staffed. Not just in terms of service, but quality of life for staff. I've read that more than a few times about this ship. I feel a little guilty for cruising.

Great review and fun pictures - thanks for sharing!

If you do another Dec cruise, I'd suggest you check out the sailings out of San Juan. You start further south, so the weather tends to be warmer in the islands than the Bahamian islands and FLL/MIA. It also tends to be more port intensive and can be a little cheaper if you don't mind fewer sea days (we actually were booked on Connie on the sailing you took, but ended up switching to Summit out of SJU because we didn't want to use vacay days from work on sea days).

Celebrity also seems to be doing a good job adding some slightly more exotic ports in the S. Caribbean than just the classics like St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Barbados. Dominica is one that comes to mind as an interesting island that's not as common on a S. Carib. itinerary.