Photo Review: Solo Cruise for 30th birthday on Celebrity Constellation 12-13-14

alainamarie

Connie was our first Celebrity cruise last year. We did dine in Blu & that was outstanding--service & food. We will be MDR this time, so I have lowered my expectations some. We have never been disappointed in a meal on a cruise, so not really worried.

"Modern luxury" is just an advertising tagline. Celebrity is a mass market cruise line like Carnival, RCCL, Princess, etc. Of the 4 lines we have cruised, we find them more alike than different--tho each line/ship has things we like better or worse than others.

Nice to hear a review from a young solo cruiser--sounds like it was great!

• 3 months later...
Connie was our first Celebrity cruise last year. We did dine in Blu & that was outstanding--service & food. We will be MDR this time, so I have lowered my expectations some. We have never been disappointed in a meal on a cruise, so not really worried.

"Modern luxury" is just an advertising tagline. Celebrity is a mass market cruise line like Carnival, RCCL, Princess, etc. Of the 4 lines we have cruised, we find them more alike than different--tho each line/ship has things we like better or worse than others.

Nice to hear a review from a young solo cruiser--sounds like it was great!

I'm glad you enjoyed! I know my perspective doesn't fit most, but it was fun to do the photo review.

I totally understand the tagline as a marketing tool, but my TA really talked up the luxury part. It was mostly my fault for going in with higher than normal expectations. I did keep an open mind and I had a great experience, but now I know to not be amazed by the food or service. Nothing was bad, just unimpressive.

Thanks again for reading!

-Alaina

Alaina thanks a million for your fab review! It was informative and honest. Brilliant to see your pics of the ship.

I'm booked on the Constellation in August for my 30th birthday and 6 year wedding anniversary. I was wondering did you get to see an inside cabin? Any info on what they are like? I am nervous about being in an inside cabin. We are in an 09 grade cabin on Vista deck. On previous cruises we had grand suite/ spa balconies. This is my first time with Celebrity and my first time without a balcony! Unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch to one this time but I might upgrade to a window after seeing yours.

Thank you again for your lovely review!

Spa

I visited the spa three times, all with the same therapist. On Monday, I took advantage of the rainy Labadee weather. I scheduled a tension zone massage and was fortunate enough to have Karine (K) as my therapist. She was AMAZING! We also got along great, so it made my experience even more enjoyable. I scheduled a reflexology foot massage for the next day since we were getting in to San Juan so late. I enjoyed her both times so much that I scheduled a tension zone massage again on Saturday. Now you know you love someone when you are willing to pay full price on a sailing day. The type of massage I like never became available on a ‘daily special’. I can also say this is the only money that was charged to my account – another benefit to having the beverage package. It’s nice to budget out spa time since it was my only expense during the cruise. Canyon Ranch did a very nice job of creating a relaxing and inviting atmosphere. The spa is not for everyone and it can be pricey since 18% gratuity is included. I did not partake in the other areas of the spa, I do know a few people who loved the heated ‘chairs’ and soaking tubs. I cannot attest to that, but I do know they enjoyed the Persian Garden areas very much.

Alaina can I ask how much were your various spa treatments on the constellation? I def plan on having a spa day :) There are no prices on celebrity website and an idea of cost would be good before we go.

Really enjoyed reading your review. Like many others in your posts, we are also booked on the Constellation for the 2/16/16 cruise. It is amazing how many people are already booked on that 9 night cruise. Aqua class is already sold out. It is a really good itinerary.

Most of the time, I cruise the Caribbean in January or February as generally the weather is fairly good and they are way past hurricane season. Although I have been there the beginning of December and it was good also. You know, the weather is always a toss up.

Thank you for taking the time to write your very informative review. I copy and pasted some of your notes for my 2/16/16 cruise.

Alaina thanks a million for your fab review! It was informative and honest. Brilliant to see your pics of the ship.

I'm booked on the Constellation in August for my 30th birthday and 6 year wedding anniversary. I was wondering did you get to see an inside cabin? Any info on what they are like? I am nervous about being in an inside cabin. We are in an 09 grade cabin on Vista deck. On previous cruises we had grand suite/ spa balconies. This is my first time with Celebrity and my first time without a balcony! Unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch to one this time but I might upgrade to a window after seeing yours.

Thanks so much for reading! On our cabin crawl, I saw a wheelchair accessible inside cabin, but not an actual inside cabin. I think you will be satisfied if you do not spend much time in your room. You will have ideal sleeping conditions, that's for sure!

I absolutely loved my room with all of the extra room. It is the highest category for OV (4), so just bear that in mind. Regardless, you will have a wonderful vacation!

Enjoy & thanks again for reading!

Alaina

Alaina can I ask how much were your various spa treatments on the constellation? I def plan on having a spa day :) There are no prices on celebrity website and an idea of cost would be good before we go.

Hey there! I had two tension zone massages (one on the day we were in San Juan as well as the last sea day because I enjoyed it so much!) and I had reflexology massage. I LOVED the tension zone massage. Reflexology was good, but my back and shoulders deal with more abuse!

I was able to get a spa list with prices by emailing the company! I may still have the email with attachment if you want me to email it to you.

Also, days in port usually have spa discounts around 15%-20%. They also run daily specials. So sea days are usually full price unless there's a special. They also add in gratuity which I think was 18%. Can't remember! You can tip extra too.

Thanks for reading!

Alaina

Edited by alainamarie

Really enjoyed reading your review. Like many others in your posts, we are also booked on the Constellation for the 2/16/16 cruise. It is amazing how many people are already booked on that 9 night cruise. Aqua class is already sold out. It is a really good itinerary.

Most of the time, I cruise the Caribbean in January or February as generally the weather is fairly good and they are way past hurricane season. Although I have been there the beginning of December and it was good also. You know, the weather is always a toss up.

Thank you for taking the time to write your very informative review. I copy and pasted some of your notes for my 2/16/16 cruise.

Thank you for reading! Be sure to send me the link next year to your review if you write one! I'm sure it'll be a fantastic time.

One day I will try January and February for cruising! I've cruised four times in December and love it so far!

Alaina

i have been in inside cabin and balcony and aqua class. i am only in the cabin to sleep and shower and dont use the balcony much . Insides are fine , but the cruise snobs like to look down their noses at you .

Only reason we have booked balconies is that there was v little price differential but the balcony got the 123- go ( all 3 [emoji41][emoji41]). didnt really see the point in aqua but it pleases some.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there! I had two tension zone massages (one on the day we were in San Juan as well as the last sea day because I enjoyed it so much!) and I had reflexology massage. I LOVED the tension zone massage. Reflexology was good, but my back and shoulders deal with more abuse!

I was able to get a spa list with prices by emailing the company! I may still have the email with attachment if you want me to email it to you.

Also, days in port usually have spa discounts around 15%-20%. They also run daily specials. So sea days are usually full price unless there's a special. They also add in gratuity which I think was 18%. Can't remember! You can tip extra too.

Thanks for reading!

Alaina

Thanks Alaina. Can you tell me how to PM you to give you my e mail? I tried and failed!

Thanks Alaina. Can you tell me how to PM you to give you my e mail? I tried and failed!

Hi,:) Private Messaging does not work on here....it is not activated.

• 5 months later...
Why do you have to keep the blinds shut?

I answered this on page 5 of this thread, so I'll quote that response so I don't forget to leave anything out - - -

"I actually found out about closing the curtain from CC. I also found out about the forward facing OV rooms from CC as well. I discovered the rooms on the deckplans and researched through CC. A CC member wrote that she had a phone call from the front desk when she left her curtain open, but I actually received a knock on my door. What's crazy is that my curtain was only open for 5 minutes because I was showing my room to dinner table mates and they opened the curtain to see the helipad."

So all in all, the light from the room with the curtain open distracts the captain as it is shining on the helipad area. I think it's like driving at night with the light on inside the car, I've always heard not to keep the light on because it distracts other drivers. So I guess this is the reason, but no one explained why when they knocked on the door. Thank goodness for CC because I knew ahead of time, but forgot when I had friends come and check out my view after dinner.

Thanks for reading!

Alaina

Edited by alainamarie

I answered this on page 5 of this thread, so I'll quote that response so I don't forget to leave anything out - - -

"I actually found out about closing the curtain from CC. I also found out about the forward facing OV rooms from CC as well. I discovered the rooms on the deckplans and researched through CC. A CC member wrote that she had a phone call from the front desk when she left her curtain open, but I actually received a knock on my door. What's crazy is that my curtain was only open for 5 minutes because I was showing my room to dinner table mates and they opened the curtain to see the helipad."

So all in all, the light from the room with the curtain open distracts the captain as it is shining on the helipad area. I think it's like driving at night with the light on inside the car, I've always heard not to keep the light on because it distracts other drivers. So I guess this is the reason, but no one explained why when they knocked on the door. Thank goodness for CC because I knew ahead of time, but forgot when I had friends come and check out my view after dinner.

Thanks for reading!

Alaina

ohhhhhh ok! :) I was wondering what the reason was for having to close the blinds! I thought maybe people could look in? Thank you for your review! :) I'm going in jan!

Edited by summyjaye

ohhhhhh ok! :) I was wondering what the reason was for having to close the blinds! I thought maybe people could look in? Thank you for your review! :) I'm going in jan!

This is only for the forward facing cabins, so if you are not in an OV all the way forward, you don't have to worry ;)

Have a great time!!!

Alaina

Thanks for the detailed review and for including so many photos! A picture's worth a thousand words, rings true.

It looks like you chose a great ship to celebrate your 30th.

Norris

• 1 month later...
I really enjoyed your review. I can not compare Carnival to Celebrity. The only other line we tried once, and only once, was NCL.....we came running back to Celebrity. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

Glad you enjoyed! I'm going back on Celebrity at the end of May to Alaska! Trying an S-class ship this time. Will be sure to do a review. :p

-Alaina

I think you'll love S class, we have been on most of the M class and most of the S class ships. The lawn is a nice place to relax.

Thanks! I'm really excited to see Alaska... will definitely compare M-class and S-class.

Thanks solo cruiser, I really enjoyed your very candid review and all your photos.

Thank you for reading! Stay tuned in June for my review on Alaska.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Alaina,

I enjoyed your review of your 9-night Caribbean cruise. We were on the first 9-night cruise on Nov. 29th that same year. This was a new itinerary and the ports of St. Barts and St Croix were the main reason we booked this cruise. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

We try to cruise 1 to 2 times a year. Last May we went to Bermuda. Love the island. We are also on the May 27 Alaska cruise - Solstice. I believe I read in one of your posts that you are very familiar with Seattle, having family near by. My mother is from Tacoma but have never been to this part of the country. Have always lived on the east coast. Might contact a relative or two. Got any post-cruise suggestions?

Looking forward to meeting you and the adventures in Alaska.

Gary and Delinda

Hi, Alaina,

I enjoyed your review of your 9-night Caribbean cruise. We were on the first 9-night cruise on Nov. 29th that same year. This was a new itinerary and the ports of St. Barts and St Croix were the main reason we booked this cruise. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

We try to cruise 1 to 2 times a year. Last May we went to Bermuda. Love the island. We are also on the May 27 Alaska cruise - Solstice. I believe I read in one of your posts that you are very familiar with Seattle, having family near by. My mother is from Tacoma but have never been to this part of the country. Have always lived on the east coast. Might contact a relative or two. Got any post-cruise suggestions?

Looking forward to meeting you and the adventures in Alaska.

Gary and Delinda

Thank you so much for reading! I thought the itinerary was perfect... Pretty unique to include St Bart's.

I've traveled to Seattle 4 times and have family there. I have enjoyed Mt Rainier, Pike Public Market, Space Needle, and the Olympic Peninsula area. If you're looking for just a couple of days, I would stay downtown and check out Pike Place and Space Needle... Could easily do both in 1/2 day. I loved the Locks boat tour and underground Seattle tour and would highly recommend both. Together all of this could be done in one very long day or two slow days. Enjoy!!