Photo Review: Solo Cruise for 30th birthday on Celebrity Constellation 12-13-14

alainamarie

Enjoying your review! I celebrated my 30th birthday on the Summit to Bermuda in July. I'll be following along as you finish your trip report!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for following along! Tomorrow I'm hoping to recap St Barts & St Martin. Enjoy!!

-Alaina

Enjoying your review...one question, I have never heard the "close your curtains at night" thing, and for the life of me, I cannot think of a reason why. Please enlighten me.

I was wondering the same thing, never heard that before.

But thank you for the review. It's nice to get a refreshing take on things! Keep up the good work.

I was wondering the same thing, never heard that before.

But thank you for the review. It's nice to get a refreshing take on things! Keep up the good work.

At night the light from the cabin window may hamper the vision from the Bridge. That's the rationale for closing the curtains.

Enjoying your review.

Edited by Orator

Enjoying your review...one question, I have never heard the "close your curtains at night" thing, and for the life of me, I cannot think of a reason why. Please enlighten me.

The same problem as for SE suites on NCL. Curtains must be closed to protect visibility from the bridge at night.

Thanks for the great review!

That's exactly it- it can affect the view from the bridge. I guess it's like driving at night with a light on inside the car- can affect other drivers more so than the car with the light on.

I knew about keeping the curtain closed, so I felt really bad when they knocked on my door.

More on St Barts later tonight (work tends to get in the way!).

-Alaina

Edited by alainamarie

4) St. Barts – My first tendering experience. Thankfully Peggy & Frank were up early and included me in the tender tickets. This ticket process was a little less painful that I expected. You wait for your # to be called just like with disembarkation.

It was a slightly rough ride to shore due to rainy and windy weather. Don’t count on getting any sleep as they announce the tender numbers overheard starting VERY early.

Peggy & Frank were kind enough to include me in their taxi tour. We walked up to where the few drivers were standing and chose a driver based on what he was offering. We had a wonderful driver who did have a thick French accent, but you could understand his English very well. He did a great job with the island history and stopping to show us important land marks. We paid $90 for the 1-1.5 hour tour.

At the end of the tour, we walked around the marina to look at the huge yachts and boats – they pay premium rent to dock their boats – anywhere from $100,000/week on up.

Had a wonderful lunch, was not as overpriced as most places. I believe I paid around $25 for a burger/fries/Diet Coke, including tip. I had another burger that was even more delicious than yesterday. Service was slow since they only had a few servers for the entire restaurant. We weren’t in a rush, so the slow service didn’t bother us. It rained while we were eating, but the sky cleared up after the rain. Tender back to the ship was peaceful and less rocky due to better weather.

Disclosure: this port sealed the deal for me - I chose this cruise because it included this luxurious island that has always intrigued me. Even if the weather had been beautiful, I was still a little disappointed. It's a beautiful island, but very exclusive and overpriced. I really don't understand the hype other than they want to be exclusive so they keep prices high and the tourists out. Just my conspiracy theory.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

On my walk back to the tender station from the restaurant. Sadly, no photos of the place we ate.

Downtown Gustavia...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I love this view of the cross while waiting in line to get on a tender boat. This is a great photo to conclude St. Barts with. It really is a gem of an island. If you can, fly and stay here. Just cash in your 401K and you can stay the week!

ry%3D480

Edited by alainamarie

Thanks for your review, I am taking the same itinerary next year.

Sorry to hear about all the crummy weather, it is early in the season and that's the chance we take in November and early Dec. As I recall from when I booked, this itinerary was not offered many dates.

Did you by any chance save (or photograph) the shore ex brochure?

I much prefer Indy shore trips, but I am curious what the ship offers for St.Bart's. I have been before, and don't wish to deal with any of the local attitude, plus I'll have some OBC. It would be an exception and let the ship people deal with the details.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your review, I am taking the same itinerary next year.

Sorry to hear about all the crummy weather, it is early in the season and that's the chance we take in November and early Dec. As I recall from when I booked, this itinerary was not offered many dates.

Did you by any chance save (or photograph) the shore ex brochure?

I much prefer Indy shore trips, but I am curious what the ship offers for St.Bart's. I have been before, and don't wish to deal with any of the local attitude, plus I'll have some OBC. It would be an exception and let the ship people deal with the details.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reading! It's a really great itinerary! The weather was GORGEOUS in St. Croix and St. Maarten. It's something that none of us have control over.

All excursions can be found on Celebrity's website. I found them to be overpriced. I can email you the daily, but I do not have a copy of an excursion list. There are only a few offered in St. Barts, but they can all be found on Celebrity's website. Also, I imagine so few people booked these overpriced excursions because they offered 20% off onboard if you booked an excursion in St. Bart's.

Have fun!

-Alaina

Edited by alainamarie

Thank you for reading! It's a really great itinerary! The weather was GORGEOUS in St. Croix and St. Maarten. It's something that none of us have control over.

All excursions can be found on Celebrity's website. I found them to be overpriced. I can email you the daily, but I do not have a copy of an excursion list. There are only a few offered in St. Barts, but they can all be found on Celebrity's website. Also, I imagine so few people booked these overpriced excursions because they offered 20% off onboard if you booked an excursion in St. Bart's.

Have fun!

-Alaina

Yes, I did see some on the web site at one point.

There was a catamaran sail for $299!

Ship tours are always overpriced, but I think that was excessive. If they are discounting, maybe by next year they will price more reasonably. I'm not a penny pincher but I don't care to be robbed, either.

Yes, I did see some on the web site at one point.

There was a catamaran sail for $299!

Ship tours are always overpriced, but I think that was excessive. If they are discounting, maybe by next year they will price more reasonably. I'm not a penny pincher but I don't care to be robbed, either.

I totally agree with you which is why this was the only port I struggled with. I was planning to walk to Shell Beach - I had a chair and umbrella reserved at Do Brazil (a restaurant that also rents out chairs). Look it up and you can email David Mouton, he's really friendly and its $28 for a chair and umbrella. Shell Beach is walkable, you can always bring your towel and lay on it if you don't want to rent a chair.

I wish Celebrity offered more reasonably priced excursions.

Enjoy,

Alaina

Great job so far Alaina. I love the commentary & pictures!

Thank you for your review! We have also only sailed on carnival, will be on the summit repo, and so I am very excited to read your review!

I did the repo cruise on the Summit this year. You'll love it. I have a detailed picture review in my signature. (My cruising history is Carnival as well). Enjoy. :D

Onto the last port - St. Marteen.

5) St. Marteen – I booked a Bernard’s tour for me, Peggy, and Frank. I think we all enjoyed the entire day and tour. Very thorough tour with lots of beach and photo stops. Unfortunately there was a lot of seaweed infesting the beaches, so they wanted us to make the beach stop at a resort. We had bad service at the bar area trying to order a pizza. We had to cancel our order because they never put the pizza in the oven. We had beautiful weather and would highly recommend Bernard’s tours.

Resort information: Divi Little Bay Beach Resort - http://www.diviresorts.com/divi-little-bay-beach-resort-st-maarten.htm

Our bus had a couple of ice chests with water, soft drinks, beer, and home made rum punch. You really want for nothing while touring with Bernard. Well organized tour company that doesn’t seem to be on ‘island time’.

This is the tour I selected for $45 (requires a $5 deposit):

SXM Island Tour II

9:00 am - 2:30 pm (our tour ended around 3:30)

Beach Sightseeing and Shopping

All tours depart from the Cruise Information Center

• Pickup at the cruise pier
  • Iguana Farm ( currently under construction until further notice)
  • Stop at the French and Dutch border [2 mins]
  • Brief stop at Oyster Pond over looking the island of St Barths [5-10 mins]
  • Orient Beach where you'll be able to swim and have lunch [90-120 mins]
  • Marigot - open market (French Capital) [30 mins]
  • Maho Beach - see low flying planes [45 mins]
  • Drive through Simpson Bay marina
  • Harold Jack Hill (View of Simpson Marina,Airport & Anguilla)
  • Return to Philipsburg depends on tour departure time; all guests will be returned in time to meet their ship's sail time.

Upon return to Philipsburg, transfer back to the ship will be provided free of charge, or you may choose to remain in Philipsburg to shop or sightsee at your own leisure. Walking back to the ship takes between 12 and 15 minutes, or a taxi may take you for approximately $3.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480