Dining Questions on Princess/9 Years Between Cruises!

monicakm

The first two times we sailed on Grand Princess to the Caribbean was in 2005 and 06. We did the traditional assigned seating with 6 others at the table. First time was great, second time not as great. Now, 9 years later, we'll be on the Emerald Princess back to the Caribbean (out of Houston). We would prefer to dine alone this time. Husband said the Anytime dining is fine as long as the menu is the same as in the traditional dining room. *Is it?

*Is it probable that we could get a table for two in the traditional/assigned seating dining room? We've requested it.

*And what is considered "smart casual" these days.

We really don't want to "dress up" this time but don't want to look out of place either. We won't show up for dinner in shorts, bathing suite coverups and flipflops but I don't want to wear heels this time around...slacks, pullover shirt and slip on shoes and DH would prefer to wear jeans, boots and a button down the front shirt (no t-shirts).

*Should we stick with Anytime Dining? Will we be under-dressed in the traditional dining room?

I would prefer the ambiance of Traditional but don't want to look out of place and/or offend anyone.

Thanks!

Anytime dining has exactly the same menu,decor and dress code as traditional dining. We almost always do Anytime now, unless it's full, and never have much trouble with waiting or getting a table for two. It helps if you don't want to dine at the most popular times, which seems to be between 6-7:30. We prefer dining later, but adjust when we go to what other entertainment we want to do that night, if any.

If necessary you can call and reserve a specific time; they might not take reservations for the busiest time, however.

The attire you mentioned will work fine for casual nights; you will be somewhat under-dressed for formal nights; adding a dress shirt and tie for him and a dressier top and slacks for you will be better, but most likely you will be seated anyway. We've found the buffet to have very nice menus some nights. I still like to dress in at least cocktail dresses for formal night; my husband now wears a blazer on the plane and wears it with nice slacks and a shirt and tie. He leaves his tux at home.

You can ask for a table for two in the main dining room/traditional. The late time is 8:15. Then you would get the same wait staff each night who will know what you like (ice tea, milk, coffee, etc.) each night.

Smart casual is Dockers & polo shirt- or shirt like you said. I do not know if Princess allows jeans in the dining room for dinner, but Carnival does and they allow shorts there too! On formal night some men don't dress up at, just wear what they wear every night. There is no difference in what people wear to either dining room.

For a 7 night cruise my husband only takes 2, maybe 3 pairs of pants. Who is going to realize he had the same pants on the night before last? (He now leaves his tux at home.) But he does take his suit for formal nights even thought some men don't even do that on formal nights. They are not going to kick him out of the dining room if you aren't wearing suit. We've had tablemates who thought they couldn't come to the dining room because they didn't bring 'dress up' clothes. This is not true, they came and enjoyed the lobster & prime rib.

You do not need heels for any night. If you wear flip flops they should be dressy ones.

Slacks are fine. You can wear them again with a different top.

Whenever you are unhappy with your table or tablemates just go to the maître'd and ask to change tables. They do this all the time, its no big thing for them. People don't know they can do this. When you get on board you can see a maître'd and see if you do have a table for two, if you don't request it then. The time for this will be in the daily news in your cabin or ask guest services.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Does Anytime dining have the same type of dress code as Traditional, the only difference being assigned vs "any" time? I thought it was a more relaxed atmosphere. Does Anytime have a formal night? Some of my reading suggest just eating in your room or at the buffet on formal night if you don't want to dress more formal. I thought Anytime was more casual. Maybe I remember wrong (since we never did the Anytime dining). If the menu is the same (and to DH that means lobster/prime rib night <g>) and is more casual, I guess we'll do a table for 2 "Anytime". I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Texas a blazer, jeans and boots is considered "dressed up" LOL. Maybe not formal, but definitely dressy :)

Oops, I'm glad I went back and reread the replies. I see that Anytime DOES have the same dress code.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Does Anytime dining have the same type of dress code as Traditional, the only difference being assigned vs "any" time? I thought it was a more relaxed atmosphere. Does Anytime have a formal night? Some of my reading suggest just eating in your room or at the buffet on formal night if you don't want to dress more formal. I thought Anytime was more casual. Maybe I remember wrong (since we never did the Anytime dining). If the menu is the same (and to DH that means lobster/prime rib night <g>) and is more casual, I guess we'll do a table for 2 "Anytime". I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Texas a blazer, jeans and boots is considered "dressed up" LOL. Maybe not formal, but definitely dressy :)

Oops, I'm glad I went back and reread the replies. I see that Anytime DOES have the same dress code.

Formal night dining attire is more relaxed than it used to be. Also, on many ships, Crown Grill on formal nights is smart casual.

Yep, same dress code--but they are not too particular anymore. I'm not sure about jeans on formal night, since my husband has never tried that, but the attire you mentioned with regular slacks would be fine for sure.

My husband was quite embarrassed on our just completed Island Princess formal night. I packed the wrong shirt: a short sleeve, white one. He wore it to the anytime dining room with a tie and they literally dragged him aside and physically put one of the waiter's jackets on him. Well, they tried anyway. Can you image tring to wear one of their jackets when you are six feet tall and weigh over 200 pounds?

But we saw many others with no jacket. Some even had polo shirts on. one had a sweater. Apparently what they were objecting to was the short sleeves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

My husband was quite embarrassed on our just completed Island Princess formal night. I packed the wrong shirt: a short sleeve, white one. He wore it to the anytime dining room with a tie and they literally dragged him aside and physically put one of the waiter's jackets on him. Well, they tried anyway. Can you image tring to wear one of their jackets when you are six feet tall and weigh over 200 pounds?

But we saw many others with no jacket. Some even had polo shirts on. one had a sweater. Apparently what they were objecting to was the short sleeves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Forums mobile app

My husband hates long sleeved shirts, so he almost always wears the short sleeved variety- with a blazer on formal nights. He has lately taken to wearing 'dressy' (oxymoron?) white polo shirts, with or without a tie. So far he has not been stopped, I suppose because of the blazer.

He has a tux, and of course suits, but just doesn't want to drag that much along anymore; especially because he wears black walking shoes rather than dress shoes due to foot problems. The blazer he just wears on the plane.

I do love him in his tux though--sigh.

We did any time dining as a couple on Princess & weren't fans of it. The tables for 2 were very close together--you felt somewhat obligated to converse with the other couples near by. Yet you had different people near you & different waiters each night so it was always a bit awkward.

If you got a standing reservation at least you would have the same waiter. We have always found cruise lines have no issues with a standing time even if you are anytime dining.

Casual--avoid shorts, jeans or exercise gear & you will be fine.