Is three hours enough time?

H2Otstr

I am flying Delta from Atlanta to Miami on 30 April, arriving at 3:34 pm.

I have to switch to TAP airlines, flying to Lisbon at 6:30 pm.

I know that I have to retrieve my luggage and recheck it at the TAP check in desk, go through security, etc.

Is 2:56 enough time to do this?

Thank you.

99+% of the time, you should be OK, IMO. Your DL flight will arrive on the H concourse, with the TAP counter in area G and gates on F concourse. So it's not like you are schlepping the bag from MIA to FLL.

However, know that if you are on two tickets and if something delays your DL flight, you have NO protection with TAP. To them, it's just that you missed your flight on your own. They don't care if it was a delayed DL flight. One of the BIG drawbacks to using separate tickets.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

As usual FlyerTalker is right on.

Also don't forget that Delta does, like every other airline, "adjust" schedules. The only way this would be advantageous for you would be a change of 90 minutes or more.

We have found luggage delivery at MIA to be on the slow side too.

Your TAP flight will probably open for check in 3 hours before your flight and boarding would generally start 45 min. before push back BUT do check their web site for specifics.

Haven't been through TSA at F but it can be painfully slow at H even without a line. And you will have to go through TSA at MIA.

Just a few other things to consider.....

Thanks for the responses to my question. I called and had my airline reservation changed by a day. I am now flying to Miami on the 29th and will leave for Portugal on the 30th. I will spend the evening at a hotel near the airport and will not have to worry about missing my overseas flight.

Hotel quality around MIA runs a vast gamut. I would also consider renting a car and staying away from the airport. Return it the next day and you have the advantage of having wheels to do some touring around SoFla.

If you do...remember that the rental car facility is offsite at MIA. You take a people mover from the main parking structure. Be sure to add at least 15 minutes (and more likely 25-30) for that process. Details at the MIA website.

I'd also stay elsewhere. You would be captive to your hotel and have lost hours after check out before your TAM flight opens for check in. You might as well rent a car and get a little pleasure out of your south Florida stay. Rental cars are usually not expensive at all in Miami. We were just there during the NASCAR race and rates were higher but we've paid considerably more in many places.

You could also choose to fly into FLL. Often the fare is lower to FLL than MIA.

Check the Departures boards for hotel recommendations.

One option is to stay in downtown Miami.

There are lots of great hotels there and you do not need to rent a car.

You can get to great restaurants on foot.

We spend a week there each year and we see no need for a rental car.

Keith

Keith, where do you stay? What is the approximate cab fare to the downtown area?

H2Otstr the taxi will run each way around $25.00 before tip.

There are many choices depending on your price range.

I will list several so you could look at the price to see if it works for you.

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Epic Hotel

All three are near several restaurants within walking distance and if you like to walk a 20 minute walk will take you to Mary Brickell Village with lots of restaurants.

Other options include

Hyatt and Marriott. Marriott is around a five minute walk to Mary Brickell Village

Hampton Inn Downtown. It's not a full service hotel but very convenient to lots of restaurants and they include a very nice breakfast.

We often stay at the Four Seasons Hotel but for one day and given the price you might not be interested but it is a terrific property and again located near lots of restaurants.

I hope this helps.

Keith