advice on trip insurance

vizgal

Hello-

We are going on our 2nd celebrity cruise this Jan and are considering trip insurance. This will be the first trip away from our 18-month old daughter and I am slightly worried about being so far away for so long. Was wondering if anyone knew or used trip insurance that would cover flying home in case of an emergency at home? Everything I have seen seems to cover an emergency for us, but not the other way around. My apologies if this isn't the right board!

Thank You-

while there are many factors to consider when buying travel insurance, I think the one that you have to focus on the most is "what is considered an emergency at home?" Your definition and the insurance company's definition may be very different.

Whatever you do...speak to Steve, use other travel insurance sites such as squaremouth...read the fine print which is pretty easy to understand these days. Do not assume that Celebrity's policy will cover what you need (it's not a great policy, IMHO) and don't buy a policy from your TA just because you trust them (or they are a relative).

Check out the travel insurance forum here on cc...lots of good advice.

Just keep in mind that what a parent might consider an "emergency at home" may not be considered an emergency by the insurance company. We are aware of a couple that decided to leave a cruise (and fly home) because one of their children became ill (turned out to be the flu). The insurance company denied the claim since they said that a typical flu case is not an emergency requiring a parent's presence. Some insurers will take the attitude that unless the emergency is life threatening (or absolutely requires the parent's presence) it is not a covered emergency.

Hank