Scenic Sail in/out, Norway

sippican

Geiranger is the stop where getting out on deck on the way I and out is essential. Alesund. offers some good pho opportunities on the way out. Bergen is also worth being on deck prior to arrival. If Olden were the only place you were going you would no doubt think the scenery is good. But by comparison with Geiranger it is much less spectacular. Tromso is probably the one where you can most afford to be on deck. You can walk from the berth to the nearby University Botanical Gardens which are worth a visit -- by the time you have done that you should be able to get on a shuttle to the Town Centre without queuing.

We will be sailing on the Serenade to the Artic Circle, with ports as follows: Alesund, Honningsvaag, Tronso, Bergen, Geiranger, and Olden. Which ports have scenic "not to be missed" arrival and/or departure routes?

Agree with Eboracum_d that Geiranger is most important "stop where getting out on deck on the way I and out is essential". We visited five of these six ports during our July 2010 sailing that is detailed in the live/blog connected below with many visuals and other details. Did not do Olden. If your weather is wonderful, as we were blessed during our trip, seeing the sights and sites on the top decks can be fun and interesting. Honningsvaag is kind of so-so as much of that area is limited with its trees, etc., in being so north.

Be ready during your trip to "soak it up". Lots to see and experience. Loved Bergen!! As I detail in a few of the pictures below, you will hopefully get great views from nearby high points in these areas. Ideally, enjoy both from the ship during sail ins and plus in being in and around these cities/ports. Added questions and interests?? Don't be shy!! Keep the good questions and research rolling along.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 167,080 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Taking the cable car up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet provides great views of the town of Tromso, nearby islands, mountains and water. With our mid-day weather so sunny, it really helped enjoy this city in such a great setting. The Arctic Cathedral is shown bottom right in this picture.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

We will be sailing on the Serenade to the Artic Circle, with ports as follows: Alesund, Honningsvaag, Tronso, Bergen, Geiranger, and Olden.

Which ports have scenic "not to be missed" arrival and/or departure routes?

Thats easy - all of them:)..The least scenic will be Bergen, Tromsø and Honningsvåg. The most: Geiranger, Olden and Ålesund.

Edited by I-Cruiser

My opinion: Georanger is a must for both. Just gorgeous! Double your chance for good weather and good photos, and there's great scenery on both sides. My favorite is to do my photo-taking in the morning, and then do the sail-out from an outdoor hot tub, relaxing after a day of hiking, and looking upwards at the towering steep fjord walls.

For the others, sail out is enough for me. I'm not a morning person! ;)

I am not a morning person either but there is something magical about getting up early and experiance the sail in to a port. Especially Geiranger, Olden and Ålesund.

I love getting up early and feel/hear the stillness - everything is quiet and the only thing you can hear is the gentle hum of the ship, the special light only found during the early mornings, I love the fjord when its like a mirror and the only thing breaking it is the ship gliding through. Breath the fresh crisp morning air. Maybe see the fog lifting. Maybe you get to spot some wildlife....

Before the world wakes is when I get to catch those special moments.

:)

Thank you everyone, for the information, photos and links. They have renewd my anticipation.

I too am a morning person, and one of my most memorable sail-ins was Stockholm - the light, the stillness a touch of mist - just magical. Although the return in the late afternoon was lovely, it could not top the early morning.

I am looking forward to our Norway trip. My question originated as an aid to planning our dining expereinces onboard (uberplanner here :D). We also love to order room service for breakfast on our aft balcony so we don't miss a thing.

Thank you everyone, for the information, photos and links. They have renewd my anticipation.

I too am a morning person, and one of my most memorable sail-ins was Stockholm - the light, the stillness a touch of mist - just magical. Although the return in the late afternoon was lovely, it could not top the early morning.

I am looking forward to our Norway trip. My question originated as an aid to planning our dining expereinces onboard (uberplanner here :D). We also love to order room service for breakfast on our aft balcony so we don't miss a thing.

Another little advice is that IMO the best place for watching a sail in/out the fjords is actually on top deck and not on the balcony.

From the top deck you get to see both sides of the fjord and the towering mountains becomes even more spectacular from up there.

I agree that you should get out on deck, not least to be able to move from one side of the ship to the other.

As a photographer I also want to be able to be at both ends if the ship ( though not at the same time).

My most recent trip into Gerainger was on a ship which had a tables on the aft deck . Having coffee and croissants at 6 am with practically none one else about as we glided along the fjord was a real highlight.

Another little advice is that IMO the best place for watching a sail in/out the fjords is actually on top deck and not on the balcony.

From the top deck you get to see both sides of the fjord and the towering mountains becomes even more spectacular from up there.

Agree 100% for being up, UP on top to see on BOTH sides, gain a much better variety of "looks", etc. Personally, I found the back of the ship best. You can see both sides, plus you don't have to battles the winds, cold as much, etc.

TIMING??: In this part of the world during the summer, the sunrise is very, very early and sets very late. Above the Arctic Circle, it will be light 24/7. That makes it easier to be up very early, enjoy the sights, get good pictures, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 90,602 views for this posting