Pinnacle Free cruise seems a RipOff

padrek

I agree!!!! Seems like a shame that you should have to go thru all that to get what you have earned.:(

Maybe if all involved send emails to Mr. Goldstein and/or Mr. Bayley it could help.

I'm hoping Rick is correct, and Mr. Bayley changes the direction of Royal away from what it's been the last couple of years.

We reached both 100 and 200 cruise credits prior to the creation of Pinnacle Club tier level (and prior to conversion to the point system) in 2011. On both occasions, we were given a free cruise in a balcony cabin (also before the JS award at 1400+ points). It was simply a matter of telling C&A which cruise we wanted to have as our reward, and either booking it as free or having the full price refunded to our cc after final payment.

My issue is changing the system from what worked well before, to this award certificate in effect now. I don't like having my benefits reduced -- better to have never had them at all, than to have the expectation, from prior experience, and not have that expectation met. That is the problem, IMO.

Just an observation and maybe I have it all wrong but, first RCCL changed how they treated diamonds, kicking them out of the CL and giving them a Diamond event on ships that did not have a Diamond Lounge. Next they have removed D+ from the CL or are in the process of doing this on the Oasis class and perhaps the Quantum Class. Now they are rewriting the rules for the Pinnacle free cruises. It seems to me more and more Royal is saying not so subtly that they do not care about people that have been loyal but are now catering to people that have never cruised or suite guests that may book only once or twice. It seems that they are becoming like those car dealers that just deal in volume not caring about serving their clients. Unfortunately I believe this is happening more and more in many different industries.

This shouldn't have to be the case. The entire monetary value of the coupon should be allowed to be applied to any already booked cruise "without" a lot of fancy bookkeeping that actually increases the cruise fare and decreases the value of the coupon.:(

I second that.

It's not a matter of expecting something in return. This is something that was set up by C&A back on January 21, 2011 when Pinnacle Club was initially established. It was to be a "reward" for their most loyal customers. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, they have now turned this reward into a meaningless piece of paper.

Well said!

Why don't you tell cruisenfever that was well said too, not to mention what a few others also had to say?:rolleyes:

It's not as easy as might thing. You have a time frame to use this certificate. It must be used 6 months from the date it was issued.

I think it is unfair to be forced to find a cruise to fit "their" schedule and not ours. With 15 cruises booked from January 1, 2015 to April of 2016, there isn't much wiggle room.

Bingo. :D

I had no idea about that. I think that a benefit becomes more of an annoyance when you have to inconvenience yourself to take advantage of it. I suspect that many would book a cruise that they would otherwise have not been inclined to rather than loose out on that earned "benefit".

I've been told by someone who works for Celebrity, that Mr. Bayley appreciates loyalty. Let's hope they are right.
I have heard that too about Mr. Bayley and also that he believes in customer service. Let's hope the quick rolback of DD for OA/AL due to implementation problems that occurred after he was named RCL's CEO and President is evidence of that.

I've been told by someone who works for Celebrity, that Mr. Bayley appreciates loyalty. Let's hope they are right.

I just have this to say about customer loyalty. I have placed great value on patients who have been loyal to me and my practice over the years and that strategy has served me very well. I highly suspect that strategy would serve a cruise line well too.

With a bit of legwork and research that $1000 is very wrong......:)
Wow! Someone who agrees with me.

Oh my............how much more is it???

I am sure it is cheaper if you do a 3 or 5 day on an old ship, but doing a 7 or more on a newer ship................

Sea Ya

Again, for us, we paid nothing for the actual cruise fare. We paid $228.50 for tax and fees and $168 for gratuities (mandatory) for a total of $396.50. This is for a 7 night balcony cabin on the Oasis the end of January. I booked this cruise this past Sunday.

I am not debating on how Royal does their business concerning the free Pinnacle cruise rules. We wanted to apply the free cruise to an existing cruise... couldn't do it due to cost because of BOGOHO. Then we looked at about 4 or 5 cruises that we were interested in... again wasn't worth the cost for the same reason. BOGOHO might be a great idea that somebody at Royal thought up but it's terrible for the customers... both trying to find a free Pinnacle cruise and anyone traveling by themselves in a cabin.

All I'm saying is that after a bunch of research, we found a cruise that we were able to book and take full advantage of the Pinnacle certificate. Do I agree with Royal's practice on this? No. But with a bunch of digging, I'm happy with what I found.

If this thread is about everyone agreeing that Royal's business practice leaves a bit to be desired concerning the free Pinnacle cruise, I completely agree. If people are complaining that they cannot take advantage of the free Pinnacle cruise because of the rules, all I'm saying to that is that you just have to dig through the website and find a cruise that works. Not saying it's fair... it is what it is.

Tim

Edited by cruisin4kicks

Wow! Someone who agrees with me.

Again, for us, we paid nothing for the actual cruise fare. We paid $228.50 for tax and fees and $168 for gratuities (mandatory) for a total of $396.50. This is for a 7 night balcony cabin on the Oasis the end of this month. I booked this cruise this past Sunday.

I am not debating on how Royal does their business concerning the free Pinnacle cruise rules. We wanted to apply the free cruise to an existing cruise... couldn't do it due to cost because of BOGOHO. Then we looked at about 4 or 5 cruises that we were interested in... again wasn't worth the cost for the same reason. BOGOHO might be a great idea that somebody at Royal thought up but it's terrible for the customers... both trying to find a free Pinnacle cruise and anyone traveling by themselves in a cabin.

All I'm saying is that after a bunch of research, we found a cruise that we were able to book and take full advantage of the Pinnacle certificate. Do I agree with Royal's practice on this? No. But with a bunch of digging, I'm happy with what I found.

If this thread is about everyone agreeing that Royal's business practice leaves a bit to be desired concerning the free Pinnacle cruise, I completely agree. If people are complaining that they cannot take advantage of the free Pinnacle because of the rules, all I'm saying to that is that you just have to dig through the website and find a cruise that works. Not saying it's fair... it is what it is.

Tim

Thanks for posting:)

It's not as easy as you might think. You have a time frame to use this certificate. It must be used 6 months from the date it was issued.

I think it is unfair to be forced to find a cruise to fit "their" schedule and not ours. With 15 cruises booked from January 1, 2015 to April of 2016, there isn't much wiggle room.

Bingo. :D

Our cruising plate is also full. We have 18 cruises booked between now and April, 2016. :eek:

Holy cow! , as the late great Scooter would say.

And that is how you become Pinnacle.

For that kind of repeat business, they could give you a total freebie. ;)

Edited by The Big Booper

Just an observation and maybe I have it all wrong but, first RCCL changed how they treated diamonds, kicking them out of the CL and giving them a Diamond event on ships that did not have a Diamond Lounge. Next they have removed D+ from the CL or are in the process of doing this on the Oasis class and perhaps the Quantum Class. Now they are rewriting the rules for the Pinnacle free cruises. It seems to me more and more Royal is saying not so subtly that they do not care about people that have been loyal but are now catering to people that have never cruised or suite guests that may book only once or twice. It seems that they are becoming like those car dealers that just deal in volume not caring about serving their clients. Unfortunately I believe this is happening more and more in many different industries.

I have heard that too about Mr. Bayley and also that he believes in customer service. Let's hope the quick rolback of DD for OA/AL due to implementation problems that occurred after he was named RCL's CEO and President is evidence of that.

I agree that the company's apparent focus is on the new or infrequent-but-high-spender cruiser. Mr. Bayley has his work cut out for him, if he wants our continued loyalty.

I agree that the company's apparent focus is on the new or infrequent-but-high-spender cruiser. Mr. Bayley has his work cut out for him, if he wants our continued loyalty.

Maybe the company will find out that some of these new or infrequent cruisers are not as high spending as RCI is anticipating.

Oh my............how much more is it???

I am sure it is cheaper if you do a 3 or 5 day on an old ship, but doing a 7 or more on a newer ship................

Sea Ya

Seven day cruise.....legwork and research is no where near 1000

Edited by Thetrail

Can you call Crown & Anchor and request that they find you 4 or 5 options that are truely free (only paying grats/taxs/port fees) and call you back? Someone on another thread had to do this with a MyVegas reward.

I was told by C&A that *I* should research and call back with a list of cruises! :eek:

Ok, everyone, take a deep breath.

This is NOT a bunch of entitled snobs whining about having to buy a lower grade of caviar.

I applaud many of the posts on here, but I think that Karen said it best:

We reached both 100 and 200 cruise credits prior to the creation of Pinnacle Club tier level (and prior to conversion to the point system) in 2011. On both occasions, we were given a free cruise in a balcony cabin (also before the JS award at 1400+ points). It was simply a matter of telling C&A which cruise we wanted to have as our reward, and either booking it as free or having the full price refunded to our cc after final payment.

My issue is changing the system from what worked well before, to this award certificate in effect now. I don't like having my benefits reduced -- better to have never had them at all, than to have the expectation, from prior experience, and not have that expectation met. That is the problem, IMO.

I would add:

A business should look to SIMPLIFY things, both for itself and for its customers.

The absolutely, positively, utterly simplest thing for Royal Caribbean to do is to say:

"Here is a certificate for $2400. You must use it *all at once*, but except for that one tiny restriction (and excluding new ships), you may apply it to any cruise, however you want."

win-win-300x285.jpg

Being just a Diamond Plus, I have to say I am just amazed how badly Royal is treating the Pinnacle's. Over the past several years I seen perks reduced or re-defined not to the customers advantage. Some will justify this as a smart move by managers to increase the value of the stock for shareholders. However, one needs customers and returning customers to maintain profitability.

I remember in 2011 when Royal started the Pinnacle Club several of the first members were invited to Miami to meet and have dinner with Richard Fain. I just wonder how this corporate contact could help the Pinnacles in this situation. Or are you just a forgotten group?

As a returning customer to Royal I have great reservation about my future treatment by this company. Personally, I am tired of the BOGOHO non-promotion disguised as a SALE. I have purchased 3 cruises before this bait and switch sale started, all of the cruise had increased by an average of $1200 with the BOGOHO added.

It is a abomination the Crown and Anchor expects Pinnacle customers to research cruises that comply with the certificate parameters.

I just wonder what is in store for the rest of us over next couple of years.

I hope as Diamond Plus, Mr Bayley is customer oriented, but how he responded to the Celebrity Millennium Alaskan cruise cancellation in 2013 causes gave concern on how customer oriented he is.

..."Here is a certificate for $2400. You must use it *all at once*, but except for that one tiny restriction (and excluding new ships), you may apply it to any cruise, however you want."...

Why inject logic into the discussion?

Seriously, your solution is way too low on the annoyance scale. It would never get approved by Royal's Department of Maximum Annoyance to Loyal Cruisers.

...Again, for us, we paid nothing for the actual cruise fare. We paid $228.50 for tax and fees and $168 for gratuities (mandatory) for a total of $396.50. This is for a 7 night balcony cabin on the Oasis the end of January. I booked this cruise this past Sunday...
I am surprised at what seems to be extremely little correlation with what is posted on Royal Caribbean’s website about a complimentary 7-night cruise, and what seems to be happening. I have copied below the offer at https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefits.do with the accompanying footnote 17 fine print. Absolutely NOTHING is said about a $2400 voucher. Absolutely NOTHING is said about a six month window. Absolutely NOTHING is said about cruises in Final Payment.

The website does, however, say “Offer does not apply to Oasis Class, Quantum Class...” and it does say that “The complimentary cruise is … applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited.” None of this seems to be what RCI is doing. Where are people finding out about these new terms and conditions?:confused::confused:

Thom

Cruise Planning Benefits

Complimentary 7-night cruise in a Balcony stateroom for 700 and 1050 cruise points(17)

(17) The complimentary cruise is based on double occupancy and applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited. Cruise does not include taxes, fees, air transportation and/or transfers to the port of embarkation or disembarkation; or items of a personal nature (including, but not limited to, shore excursions, gratuities, some meals and beverages, photographs, service fees, and medical service). Complimentary cruise includes cruise ship accommodations, ocean transportation, most meals, some beverages, and most entertainment aboard the vessel. Offer is subject to availability and valid for up to a 7-night Caribbean sailing and may vary and up to balcony staterooms for cruise vacations taken at 700 and 1050 Cruise Points and junior suites at 1400 Cruise Points and above. Specific cruise and cruise dates to be determined by Royal Caribbean in its sole discretion. Complimentary cruises are nonassignable and nontrasferable[sic] and may not be given, bartered, sold, or exchanged for cash. Cruise may not be upgraded, and no substitution by the Crown & Anchor Society member will be allowed. Complimentary cruises provided are subject to the terms and conditions in Royal Caribbean International's guest ticket cruise contract. Offer can be withdrawn at any time and cannot be combined with any other offer. Travel agent commission will not apply. Gratuities will be charged at the time of reservations. Offer does not apply to Oasis Class, Quantum Class and holiday sailing's[sic].

I have no idea how many Pinnacle Club members there are, but the number who qualify for this benefit each year cannot be a very large number. Is it really a good business decision for Royal to thumb their nose at Pinnacles to make what will surely be a small increase to their bottom line. This is a classic example of winning a battle but losing the war. Pinnacles and a lot of Diamond Plus cruisers will probably not leave Royal because they have a vested interest in staying. However lower level Crown and Anchor members may and perhaps should explore their options as to their cruise line of choice.

Being just a Diamond Plus, I have to say I am just amazed how badly Royal is treating the Pinnacle's. Over the past several years I seen perks reduced or re-defined not to the customers advantage. Some will justify this as a smart move by managers to increase the value of the stock for shareholders. However, one needs customers and returning customers to maintain profitability.

I remember in 2011 when Royal started the Pinnacle Club several of the first members were invited to Miami to meet and have dinner with Richard Fain. I just wonder how this corporate contact could help the Pinnacles in this situation. Or are you just a forgotten group?

As a returning customer to Royal I have great reservation about my future treatment by this company. Personally, I am tired of the BOGOHO non-promotion disguised as a SALE. I have purchased 3 cruises before this bait and switch sale started, all of the cruise had increased by an average of $1200 with the BOGOHO added.

It is a abomination the Crown and Anchor expects Pinnacle customers to research cruises that comply with the certificate parameters.

I just wonder what is in store for the rest of us over next couple of years.

I hope as Diamond Plus, Mr Bayley is customer oriented, but how he responded to the Celebrity Millennium Alaskan cruise cancellation in 2013 causes gave concern on how customer oriented he is.

Agree and hope Mr. Bayley does some outreach/research and fixes it. We are just under 400 cruise credits but would like to be Pinnacle someday and we have friends who are or are near Pinnacle so we can empathize.

I have no idea how many Pinnacle Club members there are, but the number who qualify for this benefit each year cannot be a very large number. Is it really a good business decision for Royal to thumb their nose at Pinnacles to make what will surely be a small increase to their bottom line. This is a classic example of winning a battle but losing the war. Pinnacles and a lot of Diamond Plus cruisers will probably not leave Royal because they have a vested interest in staying. However lower level Crown and Anchor members may and perhaps should explore their options as to their cruise line of choice.
Agree

but he's already got it according to the number of cruises you've already got booked hasn't he? Why does he need to give you a free cruise, you've already got the ones you want booked.