Pinnacle Free cruise seems a RipOff

padrek

I was told by C&A that *I* should research and call back with a list of cruises! :eek:

Ok, everyone, take a deep breath.

This is NOT a bunch of entitled snobs whining about having to buy a lower grade of caviar.

I applaud many of the posts on here, but I think that Karen said it best:

I would add:

A business should look to SIMPLIFY things, both for itself and for its customers.

The absolutely, positively, utterly simplest thing for Royal Caribbean to do is to say:

"Here is a certificate for $2400. You must use it *all at once*, but except for that one tiny restriction (and excluding new ships), you may apply it to any cruise, however you want."

win-win-300x285.jpg

why? A business is about making money, not giving it away. Why should it? You've paid for the cruises you enjoyed. Why should a business make it easy to take money away from it?

I am surprised at what seems to be extremely little correlation with what is posted on Royal Caribbean’s website about a complimentary 7-night cruise, and what seems to be happening. I have copied below the offer at https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefits.do with the accompanying footnote 17 fine print. Absolutely NOTHING is said about a $2400 voucher. Absolutely NOTHING is said about a six month window. Absolutely NOTHING is said about cruises in Final Payment.

The website does, however, say “Offer does not apply to Oasis Class, Quantum Class...” and it does say that “The complimentary cruise is … applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited.” None of this seems to be what RCI is doing. Where are people finding out about these new terms and conditions?:confused::confused:

Thom

Cruise Planning Benefits

Complimentary 7-night cruise in a Balcony stateroom for 700 and 1050 cruise points(17)

(17) The complimentary cruise is based on double occupancy and applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited. Cruise does not include taxes, fees, air transportation and/or transfers to the port of embarkation or disembarkation; or items of a personal nature (including, but not limited to, shore excursions, gratuities, some meals and beverages, photographs, service fees, and medical service). Complimentary cruise includes cruise ship accommodations, ocean transportation, most meals, some beverages, and most entertainment aboard the vessel. Offer is subject to availability and valid for up to a 7-night Caribbean sailing and may vary and up to balcony staterooms for cruise vacations taken at 700 and 1050 Cruise Points and junior suites at 1400 Cruise Points and above. Specific cruise and cruise dates to be determined by Royal Caribbean in its sole discretion. Complimentary cruises are nonassignable and nontrasferable[sic] and may not be given, bartered, sold, or exchanged for cash. Cruise may not be upgraded, and no substitution by the Crown & Anchor Society member will be allowed. Complimentary cruises provided are subject to the terms and conditions in Royal Caribbean International's guest ticket cruise contract. Offer can be withdrawn at any time and cannot be combined with any other offer. Travel agent commission will not apply. Gratuities will be charged at the time of reservations. Offer does not apply to Oasis Class, Quantum Class and holiday sailing's[sic].

Aw, c'mon Thom, you know that Royal Caribbean's website is the LAST thing that they update, fund or concern themselves with.

The certificate is relatively new (6 months-ish) and you expect them to have updated their website already?!?!?!? :eek: :p :rolleyes: :D

Aw, c'mon Thom, you know that Royal Caribbean's website is the LAST thing that they update, fund or concern themselves with.

The certificate is relatively new (6 months-ish) and you expect them to have updated their website already?!?!?!? :eek: :p :rolleyes: :D

My bad; I knew RCI was putting all their IT efforts into Quantum - that's why Quantum has had no problems with lost cabin or meal reservatons:rolleyes:

Happy New Year to all

Thom

]

Ok, everyone, take a deep breath.

This is NOT a bunch of entitled snobs whining about having to buy a lower grade of caviar.

I applaud many of the posts on here, but I think that Karen said it best:

I would add:

A business should look to SIMPLIFY things, both for itself and for its customers.

The absolutely, positively, utterly simplest thing for Royal Caribbean to do is to say:

"Here is a certificate for $2400. You must use it *all at once*, but except for that one tiny restriction (and excluding new ships), you may apply it to any cruise, however you want."

win-win-300x285.jpg

That is what we thought it was until I called!

Use it up on any cruise. Just not a new ship.

Edited by CVU

After reading this thread, I've decided to keep doing things our way. We're D (D+ after our April cruise) and for the most part, other than the balcony discount and priority boarding, have no idea what our perks should be . It works great. When we get something, we're grateful and if it's not what it used to be, we don't know the difference so never feel cheated.

Obviously the changes are not favorable to Royal's most loyal customers but it's impractical to stick with any business because of what you may get. It's a lot like watching race dogs. No matter how fast they run, they're probably not going to catch the rabbit. If they do, they end up with a mouthful of cotton. Definitely not what they were expecting............

I think the OP did do Royal Caribbean a huge favor. The favor was choosing Royal Caribbean for $150,000 worth of cruises when he could have just as easily sailed on Princess, Holland America, Norwegian, Disney or any other cruise line of his choosing.

It is not as if Royal Caribbean has the only fleet sailing. There is plenty of competition out there. Pinnacle levels have shown an amazing level of loyalty to Royal Caribbean and they should be treated with respect by receiving what they are promised without strings attached.

Pinnacle Club members are RCCLs best customers, in the same way that Global Services (GS) members are United Airlines best customers. United treats GS members like royalty, even though GS members did not "contribute" anything to United; they just bought tickets. If RCCL values its best customers, RCCL should treat Pinnacle Club members the same way that United treats GS members.

:eek:

I recently made Pinnacle after "donating" $150K+ to RCI and received my $2400 "Free" 7 day cruise certificate. Then I tried to use it for a seven day "free" cruise, only to be told that the $2400 is deducted from some "standard" rate only shown on the reservationists computer. It matters not that the website shows, for example, a price at/near $2400, which thus should qualify for a free cruise- THEIR standard rate the reservationist says shows a rate at least twice what the web is showing - so deduct my $2400 from their "secret" rate and the cruise will COST me $1000 - about what I can buy it on the web for. Confusing - you bet. Suffice it to say that reservationist could not find me a cruise between now and July1st which would cost me less than $850 out of pocket - about the same as I could buy the trip on the web today.

These are the NEW rules fostered I assume by the same RCI bean counters who made the Future Cruise Credit program almost worthless some months ago by eliminating all its attractive features.

They seem to work so hard to drive passengers away for the sake of short term gain.

It was during my second cruise (and during the resolution phase afterward) that I realized RCCL does not have guest service priorities in order to suit our family. Back to CARNIVAL we go.

I am surprised at what seems to be extremely little correlation with what is posted on Royal Caribbean’s website about a complimentary 7-night cruise, and what seems to be happening. I have copied below the offer at https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefits.do with the accompanying footnote 17 fine print. Absolutely NOTHING is said about a $2400 voucher. Absolutely NOTHING is said about a six month window. Absolutely NOTHING is said about cruises in Final Payment.

The website does, however, say “Offer does not apply to Oasis Class, Quantum Class...” and it does say that “The complimentary cruise is … applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited.” None of this seems to be what RCI is doing. Where are people finding out about these new terms and conditions?:confused::confused:

Thom

Cruise Planning Benefits

Complimentary 7-night cruise in a Balcony stateroom for 700 and 1050 cruise points(17)

(17) The complimentary cruise is based on double occupancy and applicable to the cruise on which the 700, 1050, 1400, 1750, 2100 (extending every 350 Cruise Points) cruise points are earned or the next cruise after reaching your milestone or the offer will be considered forfeited. Cruise does not include taxes, fees, air transportation and/or transfers to the port of embarkation or disembarkation; or items of a personal nature (including, but not limited to, shore excursions, gratuities, some meals and beverages, photographs, service fees, and medical service). Complimentary cruise includes cruise ship accommodations, ocean transportation, most meals, some beverages, and most entertainment aboard the vessel. Offer is subject to availability and valid for up to a 7-night Caribbean sailing and may vary and up to balcony staterooms for cruise vacations taken at 700 and 1050 Cruise Points and junior suites at 1400 Cruise Points and above. Specific cruise and cruise dates to be determined by Royal Caribbean in its sole discretion. Complimentary cruises are nonassignable and nontrasferable[sic] and may not be given, bartered, sold, or exchanged for cash. Cruise may not be upgraded, and no substitution by the Crown & Anchor Society member will be allowed. Complimentary cruises provided are subject to the terms and conditions in Royal Caribbean International's guest ticket cruise contract. Offer can be withdrawn at any time and cannot be combined with any other offer. Travel agent commission will not apply. Gratuities will be charged at the time of reservations. Offer does not apply to Oasis Class, Quantum Class and holiday sailing's[sic].

Thom, the new restrictions are stated on the certificate itself, plus one or two thrown in for good measure when you try to apply the certificate. I also went back to the website for clarification, but found it was sadly outdated.

but he's already got it according to the number of cruises you've already got booked hasn't he? Why does he need to give you a free cruise, you've already got the ones you want booked.

As some of us are aware, it is more expensive to try to get new customers to try your product than it is to maintain current customers. Companies who know this do a good job of keeping loyal customers, who tend to spend the most money on their product. But you already know that, don't you?

I prefer to keep the discussion moving forward. I don't need a free cruise, FYI. I don't "need" to cruise at all, for that matter.

Edited by travelgoddess1

Did I read (or did I dream it?) that some one was going to scan their certificate for a free cruise? It would be helpful to see all the restrictions. We have 25 cruises booked all using BOGO and I just looked at a few to see how the rates played out. None gave me a lower rate than we paid even using the full $2400. Not sure what we'll do. Does it state how long the certificate is good for?

Did I read (or did I dream it?) that some one was going to scan their certificate for a free cruise? It would be helpful to see all the restrictions. We have 25 cruises booked all using BOGO and I just looked at a few to see how the rates played out. None gave me a lower rate than we paid even using the full $2400. Not sure what we'll do. Does it state how long the certificate is good for?

Patti did it in post #21.

We have 25 cruises booked all using BOGO and I just looked at a few to see how the rates played out. None gave me a lower rate than we paid even using the full $2400. Not sure what we'll do.

That is ridiculous. I'd be a po'd Pinnacle.

why? A business is about making money, not giving it away. Why should it? You've paid for the cruises you enjoyed. Why should a business make it easy to take money away from it?

Then why not just scrap the whole program? You want to take a cruise then fine book one and take it. When the ship ties up in port for disembarkment get off fast because you've gotten what you paid for and the only thing of interest to the company is turning the ship over and getting the next set of customers aboard.

Playing games with customers just serves to annoy them at best and at worst drives them away.

Edited by Ocean Boy

...Playing games with customers just serves to annoy them at best and at worst drives them away.

Offering something for "Free" that in fact costs many people more than the item can be bought for without the "Free" offer, pretty much meets my concept of a scam. Next iteration of T&Cs may require that you also have to attend a time share presentation.:mad:

Thom

Then why not just scrap the whole program? You want to take a cruise then fine book one and take it. When the ship ties up in port for disembarkment get off fast because you've gotten what you paid for and the only thing of interest to the company is turning the ship over and getting the next set of customers aboard.

Playing games with customers just serves to annoy them at best and at worst drives them away.

I agree, RCL should offer a transparent , no games, program or not offer one at all.

BTW, I could never understand why some cruise lines base their loyalty programs on nights at sea and not the profitability of each customer. If I travel in the cheapest cabins and don't gamble, or buy booze, or go to the specialty restaurants, spa, shops etc. why should I earn the same loyalty rewards as someone who spends lots on these very profitable extras?

I agree, RCL should offer a transparent , no games, program or not offer one at all....

Speaking of transparency, I noticed this line is now included on Royal's website when showing prices:

Prices below reflect current promotional discount

Edited by clarea

As our valued customer you have earned a free cruise.....

small print

does not apply to any sailing on any date

cannot be combined with any RCCL discount of any kind do not even ask.

We value your business so we have made this very difficult for you. (we figured you were smart enough to get to this level you might be smart enough to find a loop hole)....Our IT dept could not find any so we doubt you could of course our IT dept is not to swift.

I think to treat your most valued customers this way says more about how this company feels about its customers..It is really unacceptable if I were a Pinnacle member which I am not I would be furious.

For those interested, here is the fine print on the Certificate that is issued when you have earned your Complimentary Cruise at 700, 1050, 1400, etc:

Certificate Terms and Conditions:

This Certificate is valid for complimentary cruise fare of one double-occupancy stateroom on a Royal Caribbean International cruise in the stateroom category specified in the Cruise Certificate Details section, up to the stated value (the “Cruise”). Guests will be required to prepay all taxes, fees, port expenses and stateroom, head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter gratuities. This Certificate is redeemable only by the person named on the Certificate and is non-transferable. Certificate cannot be combined with other promotions or Crown & Anchor Society benefits. One Cruise per household.

Certificate redemption is subject to stateroom availability at the time of the redemption request and approval of Royal Caribbean Redemption request must be submitted to Royal Caribbean no less than ten (10) days prior to sailing. If you have already booked or reserved your Cruise through another channel, this Certificate is null and void. Certificate is applicable to a new or existing cruise booking that meets the restrictions stated in the Cruise Certificate Details; cruises within final payment are ineligible.

Prior to contacting us, please select your ship and sailing date based on the Cruise Certificate Detail. Changes, transfers or cancellations are not permitted for any reason once the reservation has been made. Guest will not receive a refund or credit of any kind for a cancellation or change. At the time of the redemption request, Royal Caribbean will determine the value of the requested Cruise based on current prevailing rates. Certificate applies to the lowest available stateroom in the category identified on this Certificate. If the current prevailing rate of the cruise is more than the maximum value of this certificate then Guest must pay the difference. Guest can upgrade to a higher category by paying of the difference between the current prevailing rate of the upgraded stateroom and the stated value of the Cruise; upgrades are subject to availability.

Once the redemption request is approved by Royal Caribbean, a representative will contact Guest to confirm the reservation. Cruise does not include air or ground transportation to the port of embarkation or items of personal nature such as taxes and fees, shore excursions, beverages, gratuities, photographs, medical services, etc. All rules that apply to guests purchasing a cruise apply to the Certificate holder, including the terms and conditions listed in the brochures and Cruise Ticket Contract.

This Certificate may not be given, bartered, or sold. Royal Caribbean International is not responsible for and will not replace lost, stolen, or destroyed certificates.

I believe when we reached Pinnacle, RCCL wanted us to use the free cruise asap. I didn't see a date restriction in your post above. Patti was there one on the other side? In all our 25 cruises booked from now thru May 2016 I was unable to find a cruise that we could use it on where the cost didn't end up being more. If there is not a use by date, perhaps we can use it IF the BOGO every goes away.

I believe when we reached Pinnacle, RCCL wanted us to use the free cruise asap. I didn't see a date restriction in your post above. Patti was there one on the other side? In all our 25 cruises booked from now thru May 2016 I was unable to find a cruise that we could use it on where the cost didn't end up being more. If there is not a use by date, perhaps we can use it IF the BOGO every goes away.

A pp said 6 months from date of issue. That seems like a pretty short time frame.

I agree, RCL should offer a transparent , no games, program or not offer one at all.

BTW, I could never understand why some cruise lines base their loyalty programs on nights at sea and not the profitability of each customer. If I travel in the cheapest cabins and don't gamble, or buy booze, or go to the specialty restaurants, spa, shops etc. why should I earn the same loyalty rewards as someone who spends lots on these very profitable extras?

Don't even try to go there.......... It took years to get them to base points on nights instead of each cruise. At one time a 3 night cruise & a 14 night cruise had the same point value! Trying to get them to change to the amount spent will send people right over the edge.

Speaking of transparency, I noticed this line is now included on Royal's website when showing prices:

Prices below reflect current promotional discount

I noticed it too. It showed up yesterday.

I noticed it too. It showed up yesterday.

That should give us an idea of their commitment to transparency or maybe it just their web programming prowess - 8 months to add that one line.:rolleyes:

Joanne, this is what is at the top of the certificate. You have 6 months from the day it is issued to use it.

CRUISE CERTIFICATE DETAILS

Product: Any itinerary (see exclusions below)

Stateroom Category Type: Balcony or JS

Blackout Dates: Christmas/New Year’s, Quantum Class Ships, Not valid on ships for their first 365 days in service

Certificate Valid within dates below

Certificate Issue Date:

Certificate must be redeemed by:

Wow! Someone who agrees with me.

Again, for us, we paid nothing for the actual cruise fare. We paid $228.50 for tax and fees and $168 for gratuities (mandatory) for a total of $396.50. This is for a 7 night balcony cabin on the Oasis the end of January. I booked this cruise this past Sunday.

I am not debating on how Royal does their business concerning the free Pinnacle cruise rules. We wanted to apply the free cruise to an existing cruise... couldn't do it due to cost because of BOGOHO. Then we looked at about 4 or 5 cruises that we were interested in... again wasn't worth the cost for the same reason. BOGOHO might be a great idea that somebody at Royal thought up but it's terrible for the customers... both trying to find a free Pinnacle cruise and anyone traveling by themselves in a cabin.

All I'm saying is that after a bunch of research, we found a cruise that we were able to book and take full advantage of the Pinnacle certificate. Do I agree with Royal's practice on this? No. But with a bunch of digging, I'm happy with what I found.

If this thread is about everyone agreeing that Royal's business practice leaves a bit to be desired concerning the free Pinnacle cruise, I completely agree. If people are complaining that they cannot take advantage of the free Pinnacle cruise because of the rules, all I'm saying to that is that you just have to dig through the website and find a cruise that works. Not saying it's fair... it is what it is.

Tim

I fully agree with you also.....you took advantage of what they were giving you in return for the loyalty you showed by cruising with them.

It appears that you do not book many many cruises in advance. Some people have more than a dozen cruises book3e in what seems to be a year and a half period moving forward and therefore they struggle finding an applicable cruise; so therefore they feel slighted, is my take on it.

We are just Diamonds, but when we get to the point that we are given the opportunity to use a $2400 credit towards a cruise, my DH, will find a cruise, JUST LIKE YOU DID, that will enable us to use it.