Paying someone else's gratuities ?

audcc77

My friend will have her own credit card securing her own S&S card but I will be paying her gratuities.

I never prepay gratuities & just have them tack it on at the end of the cruise so it is listed on my bill at the end.

I do not want to pay with cash on her S&S card but will do that as a last resort.

My question is … Would it be possible to move her gratuities to my S&S card on the last night? Or do I go to Guest Services & pay her gratuities w/ my credit card?

Thanks.:)

Naw...just go to the customer service desk, and ask to prepay those grays....tell them to put it on your account. They can do it. Or, you can do it in advance....pay it a couple days before the cruise, and you're all set.

Edited by cb at sea

I'm sure they have easier ways to do it, but worst case scenario, have her gratuities set to zero, and double your own.

The friend would have to be present and request to have the gratuities removed. Then the OP would have to request additional gratuities added to their account. It is easier just for the OP to do one transaction and transfer the gratuities to their account.

the easiest is to call the agent and have them paid before you go.

you do not want to wait til the last night to visit guest services the lines are super long with everyone closing accounts etc.

My friend will have her own credit card securing her own S&S card but I will be paying her gratuities.

I never prepay gratuities & just have them tack it on at the end of the cruise so it is listed on my bill at the end.

I do not want to pay with cash on her S&S card but will do that as a last resort.

My question is … Would it be possible to move her gratuities to my S&S card on the last night? Or do I go to Guest Services & pay her gratuities w/ my credit card?

Yes, you can pay your friend's gratuities.

We did so when we cruised with our adult sons. (From all the opinions you've received, I don't know if anyone else has actually done this.;))

We paid for their cruise but onboard expenses were their responsibility.

On the day that gratuities were posted to their S&S accounts, I believe halfway through the cruise, we went to Guest Services and had them transferred to our S&S account. The transaction took mere minutes.

On the day gratuities are posted, go to Guest Services and tell them you want to pay them for your friend. Make sure you have your friend's folio number. It's a simple transaction.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by stargate fan

It is not a problem. I do this all the time for my sisters. They have their own credit cards on file for their drinks and purchases but I just go to the desk and have them transfer the gratuities to my card after the gratuities post. You must wait until after the gratuities post before you can transfer them so this is not something you can do the very first day of the cruise. It is not difficult to do and I assure you the staff at the desk will not be surprised if your request.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Yes - I was waiting for someone who has actually moved the gratuities to their own account.

I use a travel credit card & get a nice cash return. Therefore I'll go down & move them onto my S&S card towards the end of the cruise.

Thanks for responding. :)

Yes - I was waiting for someone who has actually moved the gratuities to their own account.

I use a travel credit card & get a nice cash return. Therefore I'll go down & move them onto my S&S card towards the end of the cruise.

If it's rewards you are after then why not just pay for their whole cruise? They would have to pay you back prior to the CC bill being due.

Since you are wanting the card benefits, simply contact your TA and have them add them to the cruise beforehand, and pay for it yourself. Easy peasy!

If it's rewards you are after then why not just pay for their whole cruise? They would have to pay you back prior to the CC bill being due.

That's opening up a whole different can of worms. Haven't you read posts about people who paid for friends, then the friends cancelled but wouldn't pay up?

I think it's safer just to pay for the gratuities when you're actually on the cruise just in case somebody cancels you haven't paid for gratuities that are not owed. Besides when it comes to credit cards I take the philosophy of why I let them have my money any sooner than I need to. I pay credit cards on the day due in full. I never owe interest, I always earn interest on my money in my personal account until it needs to be paid to the credit card company and I always get the maximum rewards. I've never understood paying off things in advance if it doesn't save you anything or earn you anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app