Westerdam Review - 12/13 - 12/20

michmike2

This was our 10th trip on HAL in the past 12 years and our 3rd on Westerdam. As we all have acknowledged, it is a different experience today than it was 12 years ago. We traveled w/ another couple who have been life-long friends and whom have been w/ us on 9 of our 10 HAL cruises. Both couples agreed that we would happily pay 25% more to go back to the level of service that existed when we first cruised w/ HAL.

Our dining room steward did an excellent job, but he was stretched to take care of all his tables and we missed the opportunity to get to know him on a personal basis as was the case in the past. Food was good overall and eliminating a course has helped to move the dining experience along. It also meant we didn't feel as stuffed when we left the dining room. NOTE TO HAL - If you are going to continue to have a dress code in the dining room, then ENFORCE it. Doesn't seem all that difficult to discretely tell folks that they don't measure up and will have to change and return if they want to eat in the dining room. We saw jeans and/or shorts nearly every nite. Not that big a deal for us as we are laid back, but either enforce it or get rid of it. We'd be fine w/ either decision.

We were at an 8 top and one of the other couples was apparently put off by our "exuberance" what w/ rubber chickens and screaming, flying monkeys in our travel bag we cart around the ship so they sought repast elsewhere after night 1. That was probably best for all concerned. The couple who remained joined in the fun and we had a pleasant week dining w/ them and I think the sentiment was returned.

We did most of our drinking in the Ocean Bar. Service there continues to be slow due to understaffing. Every nite, I would have had 1 or 2 more drinks if the server had gotten around more often. Again, not their fault, but that of those who set staffing levels. I don't understand the 2 for 1 happy hour requirement that both drinks be the same. Most drinks are priced identically. I'm certain that the thought process was that with a couple, you would still sell 2 full priced drinks as many couples have different preferences in alcohol. In our case, we simply compromised and ordered one gin and tonic and then had the 2nd for a dollar. We would much preferred to have our regular Old Fashioned (me) and Scotch and water (DW). Not the end of the world, but an annoyance.

As in the past few trips, and in contrast to 10-12 years aqo, we had to request the hot hor doevres as well as mixed nuts and/or goldfish but they WERE provided when requested.

We rented golf carts from Nathan and Linda on Grand Turk. We had used them in the past and were satisfied, but this time we could never get a confirmation from them, so weren't sure until we showed up that the carts would be there. My buddy's cart had no brakes and lackluster acceleration, so I wouldn't use them again, but I understand there is now a vendor at the cruise terminal who offers them. Had fun exploring the island and having conch fritters and cold Turks Head beer downtown.

It rained in San Juan and we had been there 3 times previously, so wife and I snagged a couple of the recliners in the Crow's Nest and read/napped while our friends did the Bacardi tour. He seemed to think it was worthwhile. We have never done it.

Shopped and had lunch onshore in St Maarten. Again, had been there a couple times previously so no real yank to go sightseeing.

Gorgeous day at HMC (w/ the exception of the darn pirate ship bar and accompanying noise pollution). Another argument for 10 yrs ago. Spent most of the day in the water, escaped the sun burn, had some pina coladas and the BBQ. Schedule a 7 day w/ 2 stops at HMC and we'll be on it. For some reason I didn't see anyone parasailing. Not all that windy, so I don't know why that was the case. I enjoyed it last trip.

Only went to 2 shows in the Vista Lounge. Mike Robinson, a ventriloquist, was excellent. We had seen him 7 or 8 yrs ago and the material was much the same, but still a cut above many of the shipboard entertainers we have seen.

The other nite we went it was an older comedian who did a good job, especially when dealing w/ a few hecklers w/ wit and grace.

Went to the BB King Blues Club one nite and while they could have dialed back the volume a bit, it was a nice change of pace for HAL. Note to whomever picks the preshow music in the Vista Lounge - lose the disco beat stuff. There was pleasant soft jazz background Christmas music in the lido all week which would have been a big improvement over what you were playing preshow, esp given HAL's demographics.

The ship was nicely decorated for the holidays, but again, scaled back quite a bit from what was the case 10 years ago.

We had dinner one night in Canaletto and were underwhelmed. Great gelato but the rest was just average. Not a fan of the Pinnacle so we didn't try that.

All in all a good trip, but now that we are both retired we'll be looking at something other than the same boring 7 day itineraries HAL has been doing out of Ft Lauderdale. Would still love to see them base a ship in San Juan for some 7 day Eastern trips to include St Lucia, Antigua, etc. We may find ourselves back on Celebrity next time.

Best part of the cruise was that we are now FL snowbirds, so at the end, instead of fighting the crowds at FLL, we hopped in the car for a leisurely trip back to the Ft Myers area.

Happy New Year to all and GO GREEN, beat Baylor!

Thanks for taking the time to do a review. Will you please share any comments you might have on the ship decor, layout, or any/all things ships. We will be on the Westerdam for the first time in April and have seen pix but it's always good to read comments especially from those who have recently sailed.

Edited by qsuzi

If hal would stop giving away the farm at the end in terms of pricing there would likely be a better experience. I was going to book a balcony (lowest level) for a cruise March. Hal wanted $4700 for that for 2 weeks. I'm not willing to pay that never mind extra on top of it. By the time that cruise leaves I bet that cruise will be somewhere in the $2000 range. That's where the problem is. I've decided to go with princess instead.

If hal would stop giving away the farm at the end in terms of pricing there would likely be a better experience. I was going to book a balcony (lowest level) for a cruise March. Hal wanted $4700 for that for 2 weeks. I'm not willing to pay that never mind extra on top of it. By the time that cruise leaves I bet that cruise will be somewhere in the $2000 range. That's where the problem is. I've decided to go with princess instead.

Certainly agree with you there, Cruz Chic. And the "incentive for early booking", which is something like $100 off, is a laugh.

Thanks michmike for the report. I agree that some of the things, service, etc., have been reduced, unfortunately.

I think you'll enjoy Westerdam. A great ship w/ what we think is a very elegant, understated décor as is the case w/ most HAL ships. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time and if someone who hadn't cruised w/ HAL 10 yrs ago were to take their 1st trip w/ them now, I doubt they would have many of the concerns that we did.

My only other frame of reference is one trip on Celebrity (which we enjoyed, but again, was 10 years ago) and a 4 day on Disney when our best friend's son got married onboard, so I'm fairly prejudiced in favor of HAL.

One thing I neglected to mention was that there is a lot of fluff in the schedule for sea days and relatively few actual activities. Also scratched our heads at scheduling the daily movie in the Queen's lounger during 1st seating most days, even when there was no conflict re use of that room earlier in the day.

Don't know what ships you've been on before, but all HAL ships are a manageable size (esp in contrast to Oasis of the Seas which we docked w/ in a couple ports) to walk around. They have the great wrap around promenade and limited numbers of kids. We've been on 6 HAL ships now and there are really more similarities than differences. Just wish there were more innovative itineraries. Hope you have a great experience on Westerdam.

I think you'll enjoy Westerdam. A great ship w/ what we think is a very elegant, understated décor as is the case w/ most HAL ships. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time and if someone who hadn't cruised w/ HAL 10 yrs ago were to take their 1st trip w/ them now, I doubt they would have many of the concerns that we did.

My only other frame of reference is one trip on Celebrity (which we enjoyed, but again, was 10 years ago) and a 4 day on Disney when our best friend's son got married onboard, so I'm fairly prejudiced in favor of HAL.

One thing I neglected to mention was that there is a lot of fluff in the schedule for sea days and relatively few actual activities. Also scratched our heads at scheduling the daily movie in the Queen's lounger during 1st seating most days, even when there was no conflict re use of that room earlier in the day.

Don't know what ships you've been on before, but all HAL ships are a manageable size (esp in contrast to Oasis of the Seas which we docked w/ in a couple ports) to walk around. They have the great wrap around promenade and limited numbers of kids. We've been on 6 HAL ships now and there are really more similarities than differences. Just wish there were more innovative itineraries. Hope you have a great experience on Westerdam.

A sincere thank you for your additional comments and your sentiments.

Thanks for posting your review! We'll be on the Westerdam in a few weeks for the first time, but have enjoyed our two NA cruises with HAL. Agree that the 7 day runs are so repetitive but it will be a nice respite from the cold winter. Agree that more and more that cruise line staff are being asked to do more with less. It seems be the mantra of corporate North America in an effort to cut costs and we have seen it everywhere, not just on cruises. Certainly doesn't make for the brochure-experience in all cases.

we didn't see anything except the beach right in town, which looked great and was full of people. You can likely get more detailed info on the St Maarten forum in the ports of call section.

Thanks - will ck that forum.

Our dining room steward did an excellent job, but he was stretched to take care of all his tables and we missed the opportunity to get to know him on a personal basis as was the case in the past. Food was good overall and eliminating a course has helped to move the dining experience along. It also meant we didn't feel as stuffed when we left the dining room.

We were at an 8 top and one of the other couples was apparently put off by our "exuberance" what w/ rubber chickens and screaming, flying monkeys in our travel bag we cart around the ship so they sought repast elsewhere after night 1. That was probably best for all concerned. The couple who remained joined in the fun and we had a pleasant week dining w/ them and I think the sentiment was returned.

Hey, I think we were at the next table. Didn't bother us at all. If you were the folks with the rubber rat, yes, you were the life of the party.

Only went to 2 shows in the Vista Lounge. Mike Robinson, a ventriloquist, was excellent. We had seen him 7 or 8 yrs ago and the material was much the same, but still a cut above many of the shipboard entertainers we have seen. The other nite we went it was an older comedian who did a good job, especially when dealing w/ a few hecklers w/ wit and grace.

I agree about the onboard entertainment. I don't know about the hecklers, I think it was just folks who march to a different beat. I don't think they got all the references, or where the comedian was going. They did make it interesting.

Went to the BB King Blues Club one nite and while they could have dialed back the volume a bit, it was a nice change of pace for HAL. Note to whomever picks the preshow music in the Vista Lounge - lose the disco beat stuff. There was pleasant soft jazz background Christmas music in the lido all week which would have been a big improvement over what you were playing preshow, esp given HAL's demographics.

DW and I were struck by how pleasant the music was on the Lido during meals. As for the BB King Blues Band, we checked them out several times and would definitely make sure any future HAL cruises would have one of those bands on board.

Jim

The piano bar entertainer was Damien (I'll look up his last name). I would say that he is quite possibly not the top HAL piano bar entertainer vocally, but he was really good with the crowd.

Michmike2 - great job in the bowl game - what a comeback! Very nice to meet you all onboard - we had a great time.