Regal Princess Christmas Week - fantastic!

Birdie 0229

We had a fantastic Christmas week on the Regal Princess. To follow are a few highlights:

1. Boarding: The boarding process was smooth and efficient and we were in our stateroom R735 by 12:15 p.m. where we checked out the premium deluxe cabin with a very large balcony. We had researched cabins in advance of booking and were extremely pleased with the result.

2. Food: We had Anytime Dining and found it completely enjoyable. The food was very good and the service outstanding. The menu had plenty of options including the new local options in addition to anytime favorites. Our server, Ilena, was outstanding - so much so that we dined in her section of the Concerto Dining Room four nights of the cruise. She was professional, efficient, and most of all FUN! The Chocolate Journeys raspberry/chocolate dessert was scrumptious.

Horizon Court - we also enjoyed the HC and the Horizon Bistro for lunch and breakfast most days. The selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, and diverse menu items provided more options than we could possibly eat. We found everything we tried to be good - although of course there were some selections we found better than others. Morning breakfast was consistently a fresh hot omelet, bacon, and banana bread! Yummy.

We had hot dogs and fries one day for lunch and splurged on gelato the last night. The chocolate, butter pecan and strawberry gelato were all fantastic.

3. Service: Room steward, Lawrence, was outstanding. We found him to be professional, personable, and virtually invisible. We had only a few requests during the week and he quickly and efficiently followed up when needed.

Dining service was wonderful. Ilena, noted above in food, was also our waitress in the terrace deck behind the Horizon Court during early morning hours. She made friends with everyone she came in contact with. She was charming and always had a smile and a hug.

Room service was used once to deliver a bottle of spirits I had ordered prior to embarkation. Upon arrival in our cabin the first time, a card was waiting. I called room service for delivery and voila within 10 minutes, we were good to go. Excellent response.

4. Entertainment: We thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment on the ship. CD Ron was everywhere - or so it seemed. He was friendly and clearly enjoyed what he was doing. One night, while we were seated in the rear of the Princess Theatre, he popped over to chat for a few minutes.

We attended all of the major shows in the Princess Theatre, and enjoyed them all. The early time had plenty of seating and we would go on to dinner after.

Two bands were also standout. Evolution and Steele (not positive if this band name is correct) both had wonderful lead vocalists and played a wide range of music. We enjoyed watching couples dancing to the music at many of the venues where they played.

One evening we happened on a violinist in the Vista Lounge - whose name escapes me - who was amazing. I wish he would have been on the schedule more often than just one night. I have to review the Patters site so I can download his work from iTunes.

Comedian Eric Lyden played two nights with different content. As with most comedians, some of his material had us rolling with laughter and some brought chuckles.

5. Ports: Princess Cays was a ship day for us. We enjoy the amenities of the ship in lieu of a pure beach day.

St. Thomas - beautiful! We chose an excursion by Island Wilson Excursions for a half day snorkel and swim trip. See the Christmas Eve review on Trip Advisor. Captain Wilson provided a top notch experience of snorkeling along with a vast knowledge of the islands. Loved every minute of this day.

St. Maarten - beautiful! Having researched the itinerary in advance, we knew the shops were not open on Christmas Day. So - we rented a car to explore the island. We visited Maho Beach, Marigo, the French side of the island - of which many pastry shops were open, and toured residential areas where we explored how the locals live. Thanks to the holiday, traffic was light, which made exploring easy. Shops near the pier were open and I was able to purchase my traditional hat pin souvenirs easily and affordably.

6. Ship: We loved the layout of the ship as did many others with whom I talked during the week. We found it easy to navigate for our needs.

The fitness center location on the side separated from the Lotus Spa was wonderful. I visited daily between 5:45 - 6:30 a.m. and found the same dedicated individuals daily. Walking through later in the day on the way to the sun deck, the center was often packed to near capacity, so others liked it, as well.

We used the aft stairs frequently, for the exercise, and when needed used elevators throughout the ship. Other than muster time and when major shows were letting out, we found the wait time to be minimal. A wait is to be expected when there are over 3,500 passengers on the ship. No worries - we had nowhere else to be during those wait times.

7. Disembarkation: We had a late flight and opted for the 10:35 a.m. departure time from the ship. Great choice! We walked off without having to wait in a crowded room and went right to our luggage. The customs line took about five minutes and we were off to the taxi line. We waited approximately 25 minutes for a taxi, which was expected and fine since we weren't flying until late afternoon.

Overall: We loved, loved, loved, the Regal and would readily sail on her again. The weather was fantastic and included beautiful rainbow views - one of which nearly circled the ship (over and under). My photos don't do it justice.

Vacations are what each person makes them - not what they allow others to make for them. Therefore - my vacations are always great!

Edited by Birdie 0229

Thanks for a great review - glad you enjoyed the Regal.

BFF from Shelbyville & I sailed the Royal in 2013 and I cruised on the Regal with DH last year - enjoyed both.

Good to know it is easy to rent/drive a car in St. Maarten. Happy New Year!!

Edited by S'villeGals

Thanks for the review. We were on just before you and wished we could have stayed for the Christmas week sailing. Christmas decorations and Christmas music playing all over the place was great.

Yes, Ilena was great. We were in her section a few time.

The violinist was likely David Klinkenberg.

Edited by ar1950

Thanks for the review. We were on just before you and wished we could have stayed for the Christmas week sailing. Christmas decorations and Christmas music playing all over the place was great.

Thank you for mentioning the Christmas decorations. The ship was beautifully decorated. White, gold, and silver decorations in the Piazza. Red and gold on other areas of the ship. The gingerbread village was so much fun. Each house custom decorated. If I can figure out how to upload photos, I'll add some to the site.

Glad you met Ilena. She is such a treat.

I enjoyed the review too. We will be on the Regal for Christmas and New Years 2015/ 2016! Whoot Whoot!!!

We will be in a corner aft cabin on the Rivera Deck. Was there any issues wtih soot?

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Thank you for your excellent review. I'm considering a cruise on the Regal and I have a question about aft cabins such as yours.

Did you have any problems – as has been the reported elsewhere – with engine smoke or ash on your balcony?

Thanks!

Thank you for providing the violinist's name. We enjoyed his show.

Thank you for your excellent review. I'm considering a cruise on the Regal and I have a question about aft cabins such as yours.

Did you have any problems – as has been the reported elsewhere – with engine smoke or ash on your balcony?

Thanks!

We did experience ash a few days early in the morning. Lawrence, our cabin steward, washed and mopped the balcony daily, plus we asked for a couple of extra pool towels to throw on the chairs and drop on the floor like a small rug in the event there was an issue. Frankly - there wasn't much and it certainly didn't hinder us from using the balcony. Every day we had drinks or naps out there, plus I would pop out all hours of the night just to watch the stars and the sea. I would book the aft cabin again in a minute. The view is just gorgeous. Also, there have been comments about people being able to see the balconies below and lack of shade. People can see from above, but again, was not an issue for us. Some people would speak or wave, others were more private. I found the space to be a nice place to relax anytime of day. We had quite a lot of shade, as well depending on the direction of the ship's course. We also visited the terrace outside of the Horizon Court frequently if we wanted to watch the wake in he shade. There was nice outdoor furniture in addition to dining seating.

Edited by Birdie 0229