Cozumel Time- Pleae Clarify

firegirl1013

Hi Everyone,

I will be in Cozumel on March 28, 2015. Since the USA daylight savings time is before Cozumel's I'm wondering if someone can give me a definitive answer on the time difference.

My ship is sailing out of Florida. Normally there is a 1 hour difference between Florida and Cozumel. Due to the difference in DST, will we now be 2 hours ahead?

Thank You!

Yup! ;) for about a month (USA "springs forward" March 8 while Mexico does not adjust until April 5) there will be a 2 hour difference between east coast ships and Coz - unless your ship adjusts time.

The state of Quintana Roo (including Cozumel) will change from central time to eastern time,

this is a note from Mexico News daily online news:

Dec 5th, 2014 "The southeastern state of Quintana Roo is one step closer to changing its clocks following a vote yesterday by the federal Chamber of Deputies.

The Southeastern Time Zone, already approved by the Senate, will result in clocks being moved ahead by one hour, a change intended to improve the state’s competitiveness in the tourist industry. The zone will be the equivalent of United States Eastern Time"

We dont know for sure when, but (about 2 weeks ago) the governor said it will take effect on 45 days, so maybe at the end on January, when the president sign the change

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/will-light-later-quintana-roo/

Edited by Kletina
yes

• 2 weeks later...

so to clarify....."Carnival doesn't adjust their times" when the itinerary says we will be in Cozumel from 10 am to 6 pm, are we really arriving at noon "cozumel time"??? I am talking about this February.....?

Edited by msweezie

so to clarify....."Carnival doesn't adjust their times" when the itinerary says we will be in Cozumel from 10 am to 6 pm, are we really arriving at noon "cozumel time"??? I am talking about this February.....?

It depends on which ship you are on, where you are sailing from and what the captain decides.

Note new changes due to come into affect from Feb

http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/mexico-quintana-roo-time-zone.html

so it seems Cozumel is currently one hour behind Florida time, but will be jumping forward an hour Feb 1st. So it will be the same time as ship time, Carnival Breeze time on Feb 8th?

so it seems Cozumel is currently one hour behind Florida time, but will be jumping forward an hour Feb 1st. So it will be the same time as ship time, Carnival Breeze time on Feb 8th?

That sounds correct for February and until the clocks go forward in Florida for the summer.

The state of Quintana Roo (including Cozumel) will change from central time to eastern time,

this is a note from Mexico News daily online news:

Dec 5th, 2014 "The southeastern state of Quintana Roo is one step closer to changing its clocks following a vote yesterday by the federal Chamber of Deputies.

The Southeastern Time Zone, already approved by the Senate, will result in clocks being moved ahead by one hour, a change intended to improve the state’s competitiveness in the tourist industry. The zone will be the equivalent of United States Eastern Time"

We dont know for sure when, but (about 2 weeks ago) the governor said it will take effect on 45 days, so maybe at the end on January, when the president sign the change

- See more at: http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/will-light-later-quintana-roo/

My understanding is that while it will be equivalent to Eastern Time, they won't do daylight savings, so when it is EDT rather than EST, Quintana Roo will not match the US.

For cruisers embarking from an East Coast port, best strategy is to just stay on ship time. And pay attention to both the daily events flyers and Captain/Cruise Director announcements as you are coming into port.

Those using ship excursions will have the same time as ship time. Those using private vendors may want to reach back out and get clarification from the vendor as to which time they are using. Have them convert it to Eastern or Central Standard Time. And be mindful that private vendors know better than you what time your ship is reaching port, what dock it'll be at and what time you're leaving. Beach resorts will be open.