Benefit of using a PCC vs a TA

summer slope

We use a PCC, but we don't take expensive cruises so any OBCs or gifts from a TA would be negligible. For the little bit we would get, I prefer being able to speak directly to HAL. When we sell our current house and go on some 30-day dream cruise, THEN I'll be checking out various TAs. ;)

To make sure that the poster I was replying to (taxmantoo) understood that the poster I quoted (Danni3ll3) was not in a Neptune Suite.

Joanie

... and why would that matter??? No one on this thread has mentioned a suite before you brought it up. We are talking about the difference between PCC and TA.

I've never had any problem getting a fare reduction UP FRONT for price drops before the final. I'm not sure why you think it would be otherwise. For me to have control over my booking is more important than a few $ in Obc. It's fine if a ta works for you. There is no need to put others down for not choosing that route. I'm not sure why every thread of this nature has to take the same tone. Book whatever way works for you but please have respect for the other side.

I did not put anyone down. All I said was that we usually manage to get a better price with a TA without having to go back to them before or after final payment date. We get the best possible price up front.

No a HAL Rep is not the same as a PCC.

The following was just posted on another thread and as you can read, they have a VE

Joanie

You will have to remind again. WHO does the PCC work for ??? :rolleyes: WHO signs their pay cheque ??? :rolleyes:

I did not put anyone down. All I said was that we usually manage to get a better price with a TA without having to go back to them before or after final payment date. We get the best possible price up front.

Your wording sounded like a put down to me. I'm sorry if it wasn't meant that way. I hear all the time how saving money is the be all and end all. There have been many threads about people that can't reach their rock bottom price TAs when they need to. Then they wonder why hal won't talk to them. That is the problem that people need to realize that can happen when you go the cheapie route. It may not be the sunshine and roses that is painted here.

Edited by cruz chic

I use different TA's, both online in the US, and also from an office in Canada. I have called HAL directly, but have always gotten a better rate with the TA's. I always pay the single supplement, but receive OBC from the TA's, which the HAL rep. that I spoke with never mentioned.

Do I understand correctly? You can call HAL directly and book a cruise with a HAL rep and get a not so good deal and you speak to a different person each time you call about your booking. That's for customers who don't read CC and are not in the know.

You could also call HAL and ask to speak to a PCC and get a very good deal and he/she becomes your best friend and you only deal with him/her. If you read CC you know about this second level of service.

Why would there be two levels of service? Why not just have a booking department? It just seems to be a rather convoluted method if I am reading correctly.

We have always used a TA and I really don't know if we could get a better price elsewhere. We are very comfortable with her and she knows our preferences. It's been a good fit and "if it ain't broke, why fix it?".

No a HAL Rep is not the same as a PCC.

you have me confused - is a PCC not working for HAL? If they are then are they not a representative of HAL? Just trying to clarify my understanding of your comment

you have me confused - is a PCC not working for HAL? If they are then are they not a representative of HAL? Just trying to clarify my understanding of your comment

Two different departments at HAL sell cruises.

The first is a general call in number. When you call you get whoever is available to answer the phone. Each time you get a varying level of expertise. This is where you would likely get a different answer each time you call as those who answer the phone are the least experienced.

The second is the PCC department. Here you are assigned a representative who gets to know you a little better. My understanding is that agents are moved into this department based on tenure, knowledge and customer feedback. These agents are more likely to know what all the specials are and take the time to find the one with the best price for you.

I have been told that there is a barrier between the two departments. You can not easily transfer a cruise from the general number to a PCC.

The first is a general call in number. When you call you get whoever is available to answer the phone. Each time you get a varying level of expertise. This is where you would likely get a different answer each time you call as those who answer the phone are the least experienced.

The second is the PCC department. Here you are assigned a representative who gets to know you a little better. My understanding is that agents are moved into this department based on tenure, knowledge and customer feedback. These agents are more likely to know what all the specials are and take the time to find the one with the best price for you.

I have been told that there is a barrier between the two departments. You can not easily transfer a cruise from the general number to a PCC.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

Personally, I like the idea of having a specific PCC. That way we get to know each other and develop "ways" to do/explain things between us. I do not like the idea of getting a different person each time I call the cruise line.

When my PCC is not available, he has others covering for him and they have been VERY helpful and willing to assist me.

DaveOKC

Based on my limited experience dealing with HAL directly, I enjoyed the service from the HAL rep. She was helpful, knowledgeable and quick. For the PCC, not so much.

By the way, I have one PCC sending me emails and a different PCC mailing me printed materials.

Thanks for taking the time to post the clear explanation. It is now underlined in my brain. :)

I guess I did understand correctly after all but you explained the reason for the different levels of service.

It still seems like a Mickey Mouse way of doing things though----but what do I know? :confused:

Your wording sounded like a put down to me. I'm sorry if it wasn't meant that way. I hear all the time how saving money is the be all and end all. There have been many threads about people that can't reach their rock bottom price TAs when they need to. Then they wonder why hal won't talk to them. That is the problem that people need to realize that can happen when you go the cheapie route. It may not be the sunshine and roses that is painted here.[/QUOTE]

Cruz Chic you accused a poster's wording as being a "put down" but your wording that people need to realize what can happen when you go the CHEAPIE route IMO is a put down..

I'm not going to debate the TA verses the PC issue with you, but do object when a poster accuses others of being cheap just because they use a TA who happens to quote lower fares & gives generous OBC's..

Edited by serendipity1499

Your wording sounded like a put down to me. I'm sorry if it wasn't meant that way. I hear all the time how saving money is the be all and end all. There have been many threads about people that can't reach their rock bottom price TAs when they need to. Then they wonder why hal won't talk to them. That is the problem that people need to realize that can happen when you go the cheapie route. It may not be the sunshine and roses that is painted here.[/QUOTE]

Cruz Chic you accused a poster's wording as being a "put down" but your wording that people need to realize what can happen when you go the CHEAPIE route IMO is a put down..

I'm not going to debate the TA verses the PC issue with you, but do object when a poster accuses others of being cheap just because they use a TA who happens to quote lower fares & gives generous OBC's..

There are several posters that go one about how the save thousands of dollars using online TAs. Then they go on to say that if you don't want to save money book with a PCC. When every post is about bargain basement prices and how much money you can save that is a cheapie ta. I did not call the poster a cheapie. I'm sorry you are confused by that.

I took Cruzchic's post as basically saying "you get what you pay for". That is true in all areas of life, including travel. It's true that a lot of people have to learn that lesson the hard way, which is really a pity. Neither of us is, in any way, putting anyone down by expressing that belief. It's just life.

I took Cruzchic's post as basically saying "you get what you pay for". That is true in all areas of life, including travel. It's true that a lot of people have to learn that lesson the hard way, which is really a pity. Neither of us is, in any way, putting anyone down by expressing that belief. It's just life.

Thank you sapper. That is exactly what I meant. There is no need to twist it into something it isn't.

Edited by cruz chic

There are several posters that go one about how the save thousands of dollars using online TAs. Then they go on to say that if you don't want to save money book with a PCC. When every post is about bargain basement prices and how much money you can save that is a cheapie ta. I did not call the poster a cheapie. I'm sorry you are confused by that.

I did not take offence at your post, and I am one of the people who uses a TA. Just so you know. As I said earlier, if you are happy with you who you book with, stick with it.

On another note, I find it strange and unfair that HAL has two levels for booking, as explained earlier by Richwmn. How counterproductive is that? All I can add to this is that when I booked directly with whomever (no idea of their title), and then later transferred to a TA - I have since received 2 emails from two different HAL employees insisting that they are my Personal Cruise Consultant. Evidently, HAL has a strange system of keeping track of their customers, so I advised each of them that I am working with a TA. I had yet another one leave me a voice mail. So I guess I have 3 PCCs....

I'm guessing every cruise line has PCC's and the front line workers for lack of a better word. I know princess and hal do and I believe celebrity does too. Both hal and princess mention PCC's on their website so it shouldn't be a secret to anyone. Any person booking with hal or princess has that option. It's not an elite thing that is only open to some. Some folks may only ever book one cruise with a line so maybe a PCC wouldn't be important. I've booked a lot of cruises with princess and I've just requested a PCC or whatever they call it. Somehow I've managed to book all these cruise with the front line staff and survive. On hals website when you click on the customer service button it brings up PCC's right there.

Edited by cruz chic

On another note, I find it strange and unfair that HAL has two levels for booking, as explained earlier by Richwmn. How counterproductive is that? All I can add to this is that when I booked directly with whomever (no idea of their title), and then later transferred to a TA - I have since received 2 emails from two different HAL employees insisting that they are my Personal Cruise Consultant. Evidently, HAL has a strange system of keeping track of their customers, so I advised each of them that I am working with a TA. I had yet another one leave me a voice mail. So I guess I have 3 PCCs....

Thanks for taking the time to post the clear explanation. It is now underlined in my brain. :)

I guess I did understand correctly after all but you explained the reason for the different levels of service.

It still seems like a Mickey Mouse way of doing things though----but what do I know? :confused:

Add Carnival to the group that is know to have a similar department, although they call theirs PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). I also believe that Disney has a similar department, although with Disney they are able to sell the theme park experience as well as their cruises.

I am not sure why some people think this is "strange and unfair" or "Mickey Mouse". It is, I believe, a way of a company taking care of their best customers. If you have the "right" American Express card they take better care of you then most of their customers. Major department stores do the same thing. As cruz chic mentioned, the existence of the PCC is clearly on the main page of HALs website, so anyone can get one.

Add Carnival to the group that is know to have a similar department, although they call theirs PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). I also believe that Disney has a similar department, although with Disney they are able to sell the theme park experience as well as their cruises.

I am not sure why some people think this is "strange and unfair" or "Mickey Mouse". It is, I believe, a way of a company taking care of their best customers. If you have the "right" American Express card they take better care of you then most of their customers. Major department stores do the same thing. As cruz chic mentioned, the existence of the PCC is clearly on the main page of HALs website, so anyone can get one.

So a person calling for the first time would definitely NOT get a PCC because they have not proven to be their best customer yet? Well I guess I'm very special to have three of my own after my first call and having already transferred it. And that blows the theory that first timers get all the goodies because HAL is trying to attract new customers.