Parking NYC for NCL Breakaway 2 nighter

aceparty

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times. I have cruised out of NYC 10 times, always parking on the pier. Very easy and convenient. However I just checked prices and its $40 a night, So $80 for a two nighter.

Any ideas cheaper like park in NJ and take the train in. Was thinking about staying at the Hilton Meadowlands and leaving the truck there and take their shuttle to Nyc.

I live about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away.

For a 2 nighter IMO parking at the pier, though costly, is the most convenient way to go. You can be back in your car a minute after leaving the ship. We usually take a train in from NJ and then taxi ride from Penn Station, but it is almost the same $ to park at the pier after all costs are factored in.

You can park at Port Imperial in Weehauken, NJ, and ferry across the river and then walk to the port, but in the winter it is cold for that walk. (taxi is also an option)

Have fun! Love those 2 nighters!

I know this question has probably been asked a thousand times. I have cruised out of NYC 10 times, always parking on the pier. Very easy and convenient. However I just checked prices and its $40 a night, So $80 for a two nighter.

Any ideas cheaper like park in NJ and take the train in. Was thinking about staying at the Hilton Meadowlands and leaving the truck there and take their shuttle to Nyc.

I live about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away.

A hotel room plus transportation to the pier is going to cost more than the $80 parking charge.

AFAIK the hotel doesn't offer a shuttle to NY City...it offers a shuttle to the NJ Transit railroad station, which means you have to take a train to NY Penn Station, a taxi to the pier from there, and do the opposite upon your return.

It will be cheaper and more convenient to park at the pier.

As previously noted a reasonable alternative that would save a few dollars is to park at Port Imperial ($15 per day) and take the ferry to NY($9 per person in each direction).

I am a really big fan of the parking at the Pier for it's convenience.

But if you want something a little less expensive :

http://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/

I second this suggestion. We used them last year and just booked it (literally 5 min ago!) for this year. It is about 3 blocks away. It is indoor parking, they valet you to the ship when you arrive, and then you walk back to them when you get off the ship. It costs $56 if you book in advance. Prior posters mentioned that the driver got into an accident while driving their car, but I think that is a risk you take anytime you valet your car. We had excellent, quick service.

I second this suggestion. We used them last year and just booked it (literally 5 min ago!) for this year. It is about 3 blocks away. It is indoor parking, they valet you to the ship when you arrive, and then you walk back to them when you get off the ship. It costs $56 if you book in advance. Prior posters mentioned that the driver got into an accident while driving their car, but I think that is a risk you take anytime you valet your car. We had excellent, quick service.

Yes, it is something that can happen anytime you valet park your car, which is one of the main reasons many people prefer the "self park and lock" parking in the secure lot at the pier (or elsewhere) even though it costs more. Remember that someone else will not only be driving your car to the pier and back to the garage, but it may be moved multiple times during its stay as cars are jockeyed in and out of parking spaces in the garage. I avoid valet parking in NY City if at all possible, and I'm a native New Yorker .

Edited by njhorseman

You can park at Port Imperial in Weehauken, NJ, and ferry across the river and then walk to the port, but in the winter it is cold for that walk. (taxi is also an option)

I JUST read about this option and have some questions. I am booked on a 7 day cruise and am looking for options other than $280 for parking.

Anyway, it looks like there is a free bus option from the ferry terminal to the cruise ship terminal. Can anyone confirm this. I also didn't think the website was very clear about overnight parking. Is this available at Port Imperial?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I JUST read about this option and have some questions. I am booked on a 7 day cruise and am looking for options other than $280 for parking.

Anyway, it looks like there is a free bus option from the ferry terminal to the cruise ship terminal. Can anyone confirm this. I also didn't think the website was very clear about overnight parking. Is this available at Port Imperial?

We left our car at Port Imperial for 4 days while on a cruise a few years ago. Try this question on the east coast departures board; they will have up-to-date information.

Edited by mizlorinj

Yes, there's overnight parking at Port imperial. Looks like the rate just went up to $16 per day. Adult ferry fare is $9 per person in each direction.

There is bus service, but it's limited on Saturdays and Sundays, with the route that runs on the weekend in the general direction of the cruise terminal turning east off 12th Ave at 44th St., which is four blocks south of the cruise terminal. If you can't walk the 1/2 mile from the ferry terminal to the cruise terminal, I'd suggest taking a taxi, because the bus isn't going to get you that close.

If parking at the pier, bring a shovel...incase it snows. You will need to dig your car out

Already experienced this. They plowed the driving area but they plowed everyone in, so we had a 2 foot plus snow/ice pile to get through. Great cruise just wasn't fun getting off of the pier.

Yes, it is something that can happen anytime you valet park your car, which is one of the main reasons many people prefer the "self park and lock" parking in the secure lot at the pier (or elsewhere) even though it costs more. Remember that someone else will not only be driving your car to the pier and back to the garage, but it may be moved multiple times during its stay as cars are jockeyed in and out of parking spaces in the garage. I avoid valet parking in NY City if at all possible, and I'm a native New Yorker .

I am also a New Yorker, and think that is why I (for one) am comfortable with valets! Knowing my car is indoors during a time of year that has the potential for storms is a big plus for me. I also think you run the risk of an accident anytime you purchase a car, and it is a risk I am willing to take, but mentioned it in my post because others are not.

• 1 month later...