Flight out of Rome too early?

We are on Rhapsody in 2 weeks. As an airline pilot, we will fly standby. The best flight right now for us to get home is 10:55 am. We can not self disembark however as D+ we'll get priority disembarkation. We are setting up a private car. If the ship gets in at 5:00 what time do they start disembarkation and what time would be reasonable to set up the car? I was thinking about 7:45 but would earlier be possible?

I expect they might be confusing their connecting flight. As you say there is no TSA Pre Check or any other security lane like that.

No, all indications from the post are that FCO was the departing airport for the poster in question, so they would indeed go through security, but it would be operated by someone other than TSA, obviously. Rules in Europe aren't always the same as in the US, but either way, the poster did not get privileges due to Pre Check.

We are on Rhapsody in 2 weeks. As an airline pilot, we will fly standby. The best flight right now for us to get home is 10:55 am. We can not self disembark however as D+ we'll get priority disembarkation. We are setting up a private car. If the ship gets in at 5:00 what time do they start disembarkation and what time would be reasonable to set up the car? I was thinking about 7:45 but would earlier be possible?

I would think that 7:00am would be possible with the earliest luggage tag numbers.

We made it to FCO in plenty of time for a 9:50 AM flight a few years back. The ship docked on either a Saturday or Sunday, so there was not nearly as much traffic as on a weekday. We did self assist disembarkation and arranged a private driver. Drive time from the port to FCO in good traffic is around 45 minutes. Never had to wait too long at customs (three cruises from Civitavechhia). I believe the cruise line recommends flights no earlier than 11:00 AM, you should be fine. Have a great cruise - the Med is fantastic :)

Same here, I think our flight was 9:45. We also did self disembark and had the car service meet us at 6:30. This was last year. we had plenty of time to even stop in the lounge, shop, etc.

For U.S. metal flights, you do check in at terminal 5 and get shuttled over to a satellite terminal once you do you immigration departure. Security is actually more intense for U.S. bound flights.

Edited by Trekker954

Same here, I think our flight was 9:45. We also did self disembark and had the car service meet us at 6:30. This was last year. we had plenty of time to even stop in the lounge, shop, etc.

For U.S. metal flights, you do check in at terminal 5 and get shuttled over to a satellite terminal once you do you immigration departure. Security is actually more intense for U.S. bound flights.

Do you recall what time the ship arrived into port? I'll be on NCL and they are scheduled to arrive at 6 AM.

Thank you!!

• 4 weeks later...

We made the flight!

The Rhapsody was already docked when we got up yesterday a little before 6 am. Our bag tags were for group 2 and had 6:45 as the assigned time. Since the car service was scheduled for 8 am we waited until 7 to disembark.

I think most of the passengers we already off by 7. When we went to retrieve our bags we found them quickly but were surprised by how few were left. We were off the boat with our bags by 7:10.

The driver showed up at 5 till 8 and we were dropped off at terminal 5 at the airport by 8:50. We had time for a bite to eat and easily made our flight.

As long as the ship docks on time and you have a driver set up I see no reason an 11 am fight wouldn't work. We wouldn't push it much closer than that though.

Best,

John

We made the flight!

The Rhapsody was already docked when we got up yesterday a little before 6 am. Our bag tags were for group 2 and had 6:45 as the assigned time. Since the car service was scheduled for 8 am we waited until 7 to disembark.

I think most of the passengers we already off by 7. When we went to retrieve our bags we found them quickly but were surprised by how few were left. We were off the boat with our bags by 7:10.

The driver showed up at 5 till 8 and we were dropped off at terminal 5 at the airport by 8:50. We had time for a bite to eat and easily made our flight.

As long as the ship docks on time and you have a driver set up I see no reason an 11 am fight wouldn't work. We wouldn't push it much closer than that though.

Best,

John

All of these posts are correct IF you don't have what happened to Quantum in Dubai in May. Due to a customs glitch, we were all delayed at least an hour and many two hours and more. People scheduled on 11:00 flights told us they did not make their flights and rebooked.

We made the flight!

Best,

John

Woo hoo!!!! I'm so glad to hear u made ur flight! I ended up changing my flight to a later flight.

I hope u had an amazing time!!

All of these posts are correct IF you don't have what happened to Quantum in Dubai in May. Due to a customs glitch, we were all delayed at least an hour and many two hours and more. People scheduled on 11:00 flights told us they did not make their flights and rebooked.

There's not much to customs at the Rome port. It was pretty much walk thru the customs building and out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

It's very possible to make an early flight out of FCO - we just did it last month and our flight was at 9:55 AM which I think is earlier than anyone posting here. Rhapsody was supposed to dock at 5 am she actually docked early around 4:30. Royal Caribbean surprisingly made no announcements when she was cleared by customs. We were out on our balcony and saw the first passengers start to leave at 6:10. We left our cabin at 6:15, we were carrying off our own bags of course. It took us 10 mins to go down and walk out thru the terminal. We had been to Greece and Turkey but the last port of call was Greece (Schengen zone, same as Italy) which maybe explains why we had no customs checks or had to show passports as we exited the terminal.

Our car service was booked for 6:30 am, the driver was pulling up as we exited the terminal. We reached FCO at 7:15 AM. We were on United which is checked in at Terminal 5. All the North American Airlines are checked in at T5, I saw signs for US Air, Delta, Air Canada, etc. Check in was fast but passport control and security checks were slow. They then bus to you Terminal 3 as that's where the flight actually departs from. Check in at T5, depart from T3, only in Italy! And that took about 10 mins as they wait for the bus to fill up, the actual ride is about 3 mins. We reached the lounge next to our gates by 8:10 which gave us an hours cushion before our flight began boarding. As long as you have a private car service picking you up, it'll be just fine. We had a great car service, really took all the stress out if the equation.

We used Roma Shuttle (http://www.romashuttle.com). Drivers were either on time or early. There were just 2 of us, so we had a brand new Mercedes sedan for each of the rides. Drivers were professional, courteous and spoke basic English. We used them for FCO-Naples ( 2 1/2 hours), Naples-Civitavecchia (3 1/2 hours) and Civitavecchia-FCO (45 mins) and could not have been more pleased. They are not the cheapest out there but we found their prices quite competitive overall. I'm recommending them to all my friends.

We used Roma Shuttle (www.romashuttle.com). Drivers were either on time or early. There were just 2 of us, so we had a brand new Mercedes sedan for each of the rides. Drivers were professional, courteous and spoke basic English. We used them for FCO-Naples ( 2 1/2 hours), Naples-Civitavecchia (3 1/2 hours) and Civitavecchia-FCO (45 mins) and could not have been more pleased. They are not the cheapest out there but we found their prices quite competitive overall. I'm recommending them to all my friends.

Thanks....we'll check them out. :)