Reducing Luggage allowance

mckay1

Air Canada has just reduced their international luggage allowance to 50 lbs. :mad: I think it is because of the high cost of fuel, but we are already paying a fuel surcharge. Does anyone else know of any other airlines that are so restrictive? I know many airlines limit luggage to 50 lbs domestically, but I thought they were all 70 lbs internationally. This means I will have to toss my big case as it weighs 15lbs empty. I think the whole thing is a typical Air Canada money grab. We will be putting our arms through the windows and flapping next. This is one very angry canuck.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I think it is system wide as last year on my flight to

Carribbean it was 50 lbs also tipped the outside curb check to get bag throug without a problem. I am with you will have to get new luggage as when I bought mine there was no weight limit so I have one very large piece and one carry one. Now need two medium and one carryone

Check with your particular airline to get their latest information on luggage weight limits. American had reduced their limits on international flights to 50 pounds but have now reinstated the 70 pound limit. The information you get from the airlines should be more reliable than what anyone here can tell you, but then again.......... :D

Air Canada has just reduced their international luggage allowance to 50 lbs. :mad: I think it is because of the high cost of fuel, but we are already paying a fuel surcharge. Does anyone else know of any other airlines that are so restrictive? I know many airlines limit luggage to 50 lbs domestically, but I thought they were all 70 lbs internationally. This means I will have to toss my big case as it weighs 15lbs empty. I think the whole thing is a typical Air Canada money grab. We will be putting our arms through the windows and flapping next. This is one very angry canuck.:mad: :mad: :mad:

It may have to do with fuel, but most airlines have the 50 lb limit and have for over a year now. I was concerned about only 50 lbs for our trip to Europe and cruise back this Sunday. I just packed and weighed my heaviest one, I could hardly move it. guess what? It only weighed about 40 lbs. As both my daughters said 50 lbs is a lot more than you think. BTW, I was a daughter living in Poland (coming back in Dec) She travels on business all the time and uses some of the small, cheapy Europian carriers: 40 lb limit there so just relax, take an extra one so nothing will be too heavy and get ready for a great vacation. NMNIta

Evening news other night speculated that the airlines are going to get more restrictive on luggage weights - combination of fuel costs and growing number of obese passengers!
What does obese passengers have to do with luggage? Oh, I know it's the overall weight, this is getting to be a bit too much. No pun intended. NMNita

Obese passengers have a lot to do with luggage weight - plane has maximum gross weight for takeoff - and if passengers too heavy, cuts must be made elsewhere!

Way back when, both passengers and luggage were weighed, so pilots could figure out if plane was approaching its max for safe takeoff and flight.

check out Continental's web site, with NEW tickets booked starting next month, the weight limit goes down from 70# to 50# for int'l flights.

You are right it is reduced to 50lbs, but do you know that this is per case. You are allowed 2 x 50lbs checked and 1 x 40lbs hand luggage. This is for international flights.

If you have booked already, then your limit is 2 x 70lbs & 1 x 40lbs.

You will need to clarify this last bit with Continental.

We are using them to fly from the UK to Newark in October. I rang them because I thought there was a mistake with the allowance (a total of 180lbs each) I was told that it was correct as I had already booked. We are thinking of bringing my mother in one case! And the kitchen sink in another. With UK charter airlines, your allowance can be as little as 45lbs total per passenger!

If you are buying new luggage, be sure to look at the lightweight ones. The Bay (in Canada) has Eddie Bauer Ultra Light at good prices - 50% off right now. Sorry, that sounds like an ad, but I am really happy with my new luggage.

And as mentioned above, the allowance for two checked suitcases is higher than for just one (on Air Canada).

I have no problem with the airlines reducing luggage allowances to reasonable weights - why waste our natural resources? But it would be nice to see them reduce the fuel surcharge at the same time.

SWA changed to 50# last March.

I am flying AC to our next cruise to Summit next month.New rules are for tickets purchased after august and flights after OCt 12. However, December on Galaxy from Galveston will be tough!

We are cruising also on the Galaxy this fall, Rome to Galveston on October 15. Our tickets were booked in late June, so I am between the two. I have been corresponding with Air Canada but they won't give me a straight answer. It seems such a simple question. You give them your booking date and your flight date and ask what your luggage allowance is. They are dancing all around committing themselves to e-mail. If I get the 70 lbs I want to take a hard copy of the communiation so that I don't have any trouble at the airport.

We will make sure we leave the ship in good order for you! Have a wonderful cruise. We loved the Panama trip.

Take Care

:) :) :)

Air Canada's new baggage limitation commences for tickets purchased on Aug.29th for flights commencing Oct.12th. New policy reduces limit of 2 bags X 70lbs. per person to 2 bags X 50 lbs. per person.

The reason for the change is ever rising cost of fuel.

Air Canada is following the trend set by many airlines and is one of the last to do so, It won't be long before the new limits are industry/world wide.

It means we pack lighter or take two suitcases.

MCKAY1: Air Canada has just reduced their international luggage allowance to 50 lbs.

There may be some confusion about weight limits PER bag and total weight. Many airlines have been holding the line at 50 pounds per bag over the last year or two.

Even United is clamping down, but their LOW "you're nobody special" limit for international is 50 pounds PER bag for TWO bags.

First class and Business class get three of them at 70 pounds. Certain Mileage Plus member still get two 70 pound bags.

Details at http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51146,00.html

We just got back from Alaska and here is our experience.

I very carefully weighed all three bags on two scales before we left home - One scale was a reasonably accurate Bathroom scale with a Huge dial the other a Pelouze UPS scale that I use for commercial shipments.

All three bags came in between 45-49 pounds or so I thought.

Arrived at Hartford and the Northwest guy put the on the scale - 50/50 and 52 - he was ready to charge me $25.00 for the 2 pounds. I removed toilet kit and some other light piece of luggage and threw in a carryon and we were ok.

I had a popup nylon duffel which I planned to use on the way home which would be used just in case. Also sent 2 boxes home via Flat Rate USPS.

You can imagine my surprise when we got to Vancouver and Northwest did not even weigh One bag - I don't know if this was YVR or because of the strike.

The other question is - how accurate are their scales - or is this a new revenue stream.

You know what reaaly makes me want to scream ..... now that they have reduced the check in luggage you can bet on it the pax are going to use all the carry on allowances.... Just imagine it - the overhead bins are not able to deal with all that carry on. As a result we will be seeing more & more loose luggage in the cabins - which is far more dangerous!!! Besides I can see even more fights breaking out over overhead bins because pax A has taken up more space and pax B cannot up his carry on into the bin.........

I would have been better to reduce the carry on to lets say 8 kilos and allow 1 piece of 70 pound & one piece of 50 pound which would bring about the same type of weight savings but via a safer way.

You are soooo right about the carryon luggage, if you are not among the first to board nowadays, you have no chance to put your carryon in the overhead, no one is respectful of allotted space to the numbered seats, when they are all full, you simply have to put it under the seat and I can tell you its darn unconfortable to ride in coach for 14 hours with no foot room, I do it twice a year and think I will give up entirely on the carryon and just use my purse!:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm traveling on different airlines but my experience lately has been that they're really controlling the amount and size of carry on luggage. I think it's actually improved over the past year or so and I'm having a lot less trouble finding room for my allowed two pieces.

Maybe I'm traveling on different airlines but my experience lately has been that they're really controlling the amount and size of carry on luggage. I think it's actually improved over the past year or so and I'm having a lot less trouble finding room for my allowed two pieces.

We really didn;t have a problem with the over head bins - but then again if my dear wife had bought the Totem Pole - a whole nother story - but at $1500 per foot for a master carver - not gonna happen

I think that I'm just getting old and cranky, but I just don't get the airlines and their rationale. If your goal is to reduce the total weight per flight, why would you jump all over a passenger who had one piece of luggage that was 55 pounds but let another passenger take two pieces that weighed 50 pounds each. Passenger A has a total of 55 pounds and passenger B has a total of 100 pounds. Even with the old math, 100 pounds weighs more than 55 pounds! Since they have already limited the size of the pieces we can carry, I don't know why they don't just give us all a 100 pound total weight limit which would include up to two pieces of checked luggage AND one carryon piece. It would make life much simpler for them and us.

I understand that they also need to keep the baggage weights down to ease the burden on their baggage handlers. That part makes sense, but it doesn't make sense to quibble over a couple of pounds the way they do. If you have to take out a few pounds and put it into another piece of luggage, it's the same amount of weight and one more piece to deal with, so how do they benefit?. I know if I'm standing there and paying a surcharge on my one piece of luggage and along comes the couple you see at every airport dragging four suitcases, two oversized carryons, a huge camera bag, and a tote bag big enough to hold Rhode Island and they breeze right by me with no penalty....I am not going to be a happy camper!

.....and let me add my 2cents worth......Air Canada has lowered their 'free' allowable luggage limits to 50 pounds, BUT, for a price.....one can take a 70 pound piece of luggage. Soooo....it can't have anything to do with fuel savings.....it's not that you can't take a 70 pound bag....you just have to pay for the 20 extra pounds!!! To me...it's a money grab personified.

Although....they do hire female baggage handlers and I'm sure they would rather be lifting 50 pound bags and not 70 pound bags. That rationale was given to me by Amtrak in San Diego last year. In their case....the extra baggage could be put into a box that held approx 20 pounds....and it costs $2.....

Why not have a system whereby a person and their luggage, in total, cannot weigh more than XXX pounds? Have a cargo scale handy....one person and all their gear jump on....and if the needle doesn't go beyond a certain weight.....then proceed as usual. Of course thin people would have a distinct advantage...but it's only a suggestion.

Things could be worse, I suppose!

If flying in Europe weight restrictions here are quite severe.

20 kgs per Person checked

6kgs carry on, also most have size restriction, The airlines have wire baskets at check in and your bag must fit into it otherwise it will have to go as hold luggage.

For years, airlines have used 175 lbs as the average weight for passengers. I used to weigh 175 lbs, but it's been a long time. The average American is taller and heavier and their carryons are heavier now too.

Excessive weight in the back of a US Airways Express plane, along with maintenance issues, were blamed for the crash of the commuter jet shortly after takeoff on Jan. 8, 2003, in Charlotte, N.C., the National Transportation Safety Board concluded. All 21 people aboard the Beech 1900D died.

I was on an America West flight on one of their smaller commuter jets and we actually had to move passengers around to better distribute the weight before we could take off.

The airlines have to cut the weight somewhere. Either weigh carryons and enforce carryon limits, or reduce the allowed checked baggage weight.

I'd rather have them weigh my bags than weigh me.

Regards

For years, airlines have used 175 lbs as the average weight for passengers. I used to weigh 175 lbs, but it's been a long time. The average American is taller and heavier and their carryons are heavier now too.

Excessive weight in the back of a US Airways Express plane, along with maintenance issues, were blamed for the crash of the commuter jet shortly after takeoff on Jan. 8, 2003, in Charlotte, N.C., the National Transportation Safety Board concluded. All 21 people aboard the Beech 1900D died.

I was on an America West flight on one of their smaller commuter jets and we actually had to move passengers around to better distribute the weight before we could take off.

The airlines have to cut the weight somewhere. Either weigh carryons and enforce carryon limits, or reduce the allowed checked baggage weight.

I'd rather have them weigh my bags than weigh me.

Regards

We had just pulled out of MSP when the captain got on the horn and said we had to go back to the gate to "redistribute" luggage from the rear cargo hold to the front cargo hold and would only take 3-4 min.

Sure enough that's all it took - so I am guessing weight and balance is key to a smoothe and cost efficient flight

Archived