Tip ?

Those tax people must be easily fooled. Right now they are requiring "mandatory" gratuities in so many cases that you wonder why they don't just do it always. If it's mandatory then why does it matter what you call it?

:D

Tom

Not sure if this is right or not, but changing from "tips" to a "service fee" would put the crew on salary. Likely that could have HUGE tax implications. In the last year or so I began to notice that when I go to a restaurant with a large group and the tip is automatically applied, when I pay with a credit card, the tip is now broken out separately on the credit card receipt. Before it was just included in the final tally with a "tip" line available. Sometimes created a problem if you didn't notice on the bill that the tip had been applied, you could "double tip." I was curious for the reason that it is now shown as a "tip" on the credit card receipt. I was told that if the tip is not shown separately, then it became a "salary" and that created tax issues, i.e. social security, etc. So restaurants now show all tips separately.

This could likely be the reason that crews are "tipped" and not "salaried." Even luxury lines like Seaborne advertised "tips included."

OP:

You are assuredly entitled to your opinion. I am glad that you will wait until the end of the cruise to decide and I both expect and hope your opinion will change.

I remember my first cruise and when told about the built in gratuities I had some sticker shock (and this was only for 2 adults). My thoughts are gratuities should be earned and should be "guaranteed" up front.

Then I went on my cruise. Then I saw all they do and how hard they work with smiling faces to ensure I enjoy my vacation. And then I understood. :o

In fact - I would allocate less for my excursion budget before I would lessen the std gratuities. I actually take extra tip money and thank you cards so I can give personalized recognition to those special folks that go over and above. I also take some singles for any room service delivery ($2-$5 per visit). So I am converted.

That said, I did have one cruise where the dining room service (from head to assistant) was so poor that I reallocated all their tips to my room steward. Food was fine - waitstaff was horrid.

Perhaps if you decide not to tip for unused/unearned services, you can reallocate these gratuities to some one who made your cruise or your child's cruise extra special. Just a thought.

I wish you and your family a wonderful cruise regardless and I hope the wonderful experience and service will change your mind.

Edited by pxy cda

Those tax people must be easily fooled. Right now they are requiring "mandatory" gratuities in so many cases that you wonder why they don't just do it always. If it's mandatory then why does it matter what you call it?

:D

Tom

Tom, I don't think they are mandatory - my understanding is that although gratuities are prepaid, they can be rescinded and their allocation is at the discretion of the guest with a simple trip to guest services.

Absolutely agree. The infant will need sheets changed, use towels and create stinky diapers that must be disposed of. Will also make more of a mess in the dining room than any adult. OP, you do realize that tips constitute a large portion of the staff's income, right? Of course you can remove or reduce tips but my conscience wouldn't let me even if I wanted to.

Mine would :)

Ok I can't respond to all the people speculating my financial situation. Some people made ignorant statements and some almost valid. If some people feel there better than me because they believe tipping for an infant is the right thing to do. So be it. I don't follow the masses and unfortunately I have a different opinion of the matter. So does carnival cruise line also. Also to clarify my kids on day of cruise will be twins 16 months and son 3And again I'm discussing my twins. I'm trying to be polite by saying proudly that I don't believe the tips are warranted. If my twins make a mess of the room, I'm sure not going to expect the Stewart to clean it up. I'm sure my do not disturb will be on the door handle 24/7 all week. This way he:she will have an easier day at work. Sorry to offend so many people. I and ang u have a good point about waiting till the end of cruise to decide

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay - understand what your plans are. May I offer one suggestion. If you plan on taking care of the stateroom yourself and have the do not disturb sign up for the week, please talk to your steward on the first day and explain your plans.

Your steward usually meets you and introduces him/herself. They normally have set working hours and tell you what they are, and then give you their number to call if any special requests/problems.

If the steward doesn't know that you are planning "do not disturb" all week he will wait around trying to find the right time to clean your room, make your beds, etc.

Communication is the key - the steward will work hard for you and could be your best friend for "stuff" for your room - cleaning, linens, etc. please be fair with him not only financially but with what your expectations are.

So you and your wife will be making their bed, and going to the galley to get their meals for them too?

Agreed - plus emptying diapers from garage if that applies!!! The room attendant earns the tip. It is really a small amount to pay for the service he or she provides.

That is true except for My Time dining and, from some reports, for the new Dynamic Dining. So, I assume they are moving towards making them mandatory all the time. That's a huge assumption though, I admit.

I've never tried to rescind the auto tips or recover the automatic tips paid way in advance so I don't really know what's possible. I just know that every month of so someone, on this forum, is confused about why they are paying "tips" two months before the cruise. It is kind of a weird concept.

Lots of other "tips" on the cruise are mandatory too like with drinks.

Maybe they could call them gratuities (tips) when they are charged each day on the cruise and *are* truly optional and a service fee when they are charged automatically way before the cruise even starts. Of course, then people would wonder why they have to pay tips and the people in the next cabin don't.

Can't win :D

Tom

Tom, I don't think they are mandatory - my understanding is that although gratuities are prepaid, they can be rescinded and their allocation is at the discretion of the guest with a simple trip to guest services.

Agreed - plus emptying diapers from garage if that applies!!! The room attendant earns the tip. It is really a small amount to pay for the service he or she provides.

It really isn't. $12 per day per child (even $12 per adult) is a lot of money on top of your cruise fare :(

My DD was 13 months on her first cruise, and the staff was fantastic- especially in the dining room. After the first night, they had a high chair waiting for her with fresh fruit, and would then entertain her throughout dinner- making little puppets out of dinner napkins, cutting up her food, etc.

DH and I were able to enjoy our dinner most nights, and when she started fussing towards the end of dinner on a couple of evenings, DH took her back to our cabin after placing a quick dessert order that our waiter staff packaged up for me to bring back to the cabin for him to enjoy.

Other meals were just as enjoyable, with the Windjammer staff eager to assist with getting a high chair or fetching a forgotten food item from the buffet if needed to help, and as other noted, many staff just stopped by to say hello, too.

So maybe wait to see how things go onboard before deciding whether the tips are deserved for your toddlers.

Have a great cruise

Why not just add the gratuity into cruise fare?

Another thought on this.... if the fare "includes the tips!!!" I think that people like myself that are very good tippers will still tip over and above the fare, and eventually everyone will pay a higher fare and with additional tips implied/customary on top of that! Sort of like all-inclusive where the tips are supposedly included but many (myself included) tip more anyway. ;)

I personally like the tipping culture, I always get very good service. Nice to the crew and a good tipper, funny how that works. :cool:

I have also tipped in full for both of our kids on all of their cruises, even when they were "under 2".

Edited by babyblue78

My kids were 6 and 3 on their first cruise, so a little bit older, but the room steward and and wait staff definitely did more work for my kids than they did for my wife and I. The same is true of all 4 cruises we've taken them on (Enchantment Christmas cruise dining disaster aside... which I'll get to writing about on CC sooner or later).

Ok I can't respond to all the people speculating my financial situation. Some people made ignorant statements and some almost valid. If some people feel there better than me because they believe tipping for an infant is the right thing to do. So be it. I don't follow the masses and unfortunately I have a different opinion of the matter. So does carnival cruise line also. Also to clarify my kids on day of cruise will be twins 16 months and son 3And again I'm discussing my twins. I'm trying to be polite by saying proudly that I don't believe the tips are warranted. If my twins make a mess of the room, I'm sure not going to expect the Stewart to clean it up. I'm sure my do not disturb will be on the door handle 24/7 all week. This way he:she will have an easier day at work. Sorry to offend so many people. I and ang u have a good point about waiting till the end of cruise to decide

That is not a wise thing to to. By doing so you are inviting security to enter your cabin at any time unannounced.

Another thought on this.... if the fare "includes the tips!!!" I think that people like myself that are very good tippers will still tip over and above the fare, and eventually everyone will pay a higher fare and with additional tips implied/customary on top of that! Sort of like all-inclusive where the tips are supposedly included but many (myself included) tip more anyway. ;)

I personally like the tipping culture, I always get very good service. Nice to the crew and a good tipper, funny how that works. :cool:

I have also tipped in full for both of our kids on all of their cruises, even when they were "under 2".

I agree with you and we tip more as well. It seems like some prefer the all inclusive experience however. I am of the mindset that the traveller is going to pay either way.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

:eek:

I hope you don't leave the do not disturb sign up 24/7. That's a huge pile of diapers that the steward will be left to dispose of at the end of the cruise (and, my god, the smell). Not to mention the sheets and towels would never get changed.

That is not a wise thing to to. By doing so you are inviting security to enter your cabin at any time unannounced.
I would assume when security encounters the twin stacks of fermented used diapers they will quickly retreat to get their haz-mat suits. The neighbors should be relieved to find out that what they thought was a decaying body was only diapers. Since these kids are to be absolutely no trouble to any of the staff, I assume that the plan is to put the used diapers in their suitcases and take them home. Or is the plan to just set the used diapers out in the hall?

He will get his tips from my wife,son, and I. My twins are debatable. This is my last post because this thread is getting ugly.

You don't owe any of these people any explanation. Trust me, unsubscribing from the thread is best. :)

Tipping and Dress Code thread get ugly early and drag on forever.

Enjoy your cruise!

You don't owe any of these people any explanation. Trust me, unsubscribing from the thread is best. :)

Tipping and Dress Code thread get ugly early and drag on forever.

Enjoy your cruise!

Please keep in mind that HE started this thread and HE asked the membership what they thought.

Please keep in mind that HE started this thread and HE asked the membership what they thought.

Uh, no he didn't. He asked:

"Are these tips able to be removed?"

He got his answer in the first few posts and is moving on now. :)