Travel agent vs booking direct for a known cruise

srwpchelp

Hi,

I've selected my cruise for 2016.

P&O fly-cruise to the Med for 2 weeks.

I just need to wait for it to go on sale in March/April and then pick the date.

The big question...book using a cruise travel agent or book direct?

One advantage of booking direct with P&O is that I can pick a specific cabin.

Not essential but would be nice.

The prices charged by both parties seem to be the same.

So which do I choose? Travel agent or P&O?

Any tips on how to avoid missing out on the occasional special offer (e.g. extra spending) or how to squeeze a little out of the travel agent.

Thanks!!

Why can't you pick your cabin when you use a travel agent?

I always get something from my TA (OBC, a bottle of wine, etc.) and I feel she knows the right people to talk with if there is a problem. That is why I always use a TA.

You are in the UK, so things could be different in the US. We book thru a TA and have our choice of cabins. Same selection as on the cruise line website.

We get a 15% discount from our TA plus some OBC in addition to what the cruise line offers.

If I were you I would call the cruise line and get the price and perks they offer, and then try some of the discount TAs. Look at the offers to see what works best for you

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I've selected my cruise for 2016.

P&O fly-cruise to the Med for 2 weeks.

I just need to wait for it to go on sale in March/April and then pick the date.

The big question...book using a cruise travel agent or book direct?

One advantage of booking direct with P&O is that I can pick a specific cabin.

Not essential but would be nice.

The prices charged by both parties seem to be the same.

So which do I choose? Travel agent or P&O?

Any tips on how to avoid missing out on the occasional special offer (e.g. extra spending) or how to squeeze a little out of the travel agent.

Thanks!!

Just had yet another experience that proves the value of a top producing TA for a specific cruise line.

Occasionally, I get "exclusive deal" e-mails from several TA's (each of whom was recommended on Conde Nast Traveler's "best of ...." lists). If it appears to be a true "exclusive deal" (I.e., a short term cruise line discount for a top producing TA partner, as opposed to a marketing gimmick), I will check it out.

I received one of those e-mails the other day and, although I had already booked (at a decent discount w/perks) our next cruise while onboard our prior cruise (and then transferred it to one of the two TAs who have earned our trust and business), I followed up and got a quote. The "exclusive" price (good for the remainder of February) is 15% lower than the current price (and 12% lower than our current price - not including the TA OBC) advertised everywhere and there was some minor perk like an Amazon gift card.

Quick e-mail to our TA, who is a top ten producer for our preferred cruise line and, after he checked with his "people," we got the same cruise line deal. An expected decrease in his OBC was not a deal breaker as we still would be getting about 13% of the cabin cost.

"Almost final" discount (including $ value of the TA OBC) = 27%. Add the free gratuities and we're at >30%. I say "almost final" because I know that our TA will do his best to get any additional price drops that may occur - even after final payment.

One final note: By booking onboard and not assigning a TA until you're home and have checked out the TA perks (decision to transfer within the next month required on our preferred line), you get the cruise line best "early booking" deal including current cruise OBC, cabin choice, etc. AND the TA perks. On a premium line, we're talking a "chunk of change."

This I feel is the main advantage of a TA, or at least our TA. They pretty much stay on top of the changes and will quickly inform their clients. Also, our TA has had to intercede for the clients when something unexpected occurs like cabin and schedule changes. Some folks are always on top of these things and don't really need a TA, but I would guess 90% of cruisers aren't that close to the operations.

Burt