Cancellations

1of4

What is with the cancellations? I have read of 3 cancelled cruises on 3 different threads today. Not one was the topic of the thread but mentioned in a reply so I couldn't find them again if asked. Just wondering if anyone else noticed?

NA TA Fall cancelled - or postponed 2 weeks, which also puts a 2 week delay in the middle (10/19-11/2) of a longer combined Med/TA crossing! It also affects the first few Caribbean sailings in November 15 on the NA. This is one cancellation which will affect a lot of people, including us. No answers yet.....

Did you get a reason why yet, Mary Ellen? It must be major - with multiple cancellations. We haven't gotten a call back from our TA yet.
Sorry, no reason given. With this many cruises affected, this is a pretty major reworking. We've had a cruise cancelled before due to a charter. This seems different.

Neither alternative offered appeals to us.

Edited by Mary Ellen

I got my email yesterday for our 13-day TA. Things happen, but obviously we're disappointed. As another poster said, there aren't any alternatives that currently work for us.

I emailed HAL reservations with the hope that our concessions we had on that cruise can be transferred over to our upcoming 14-day Caribbean. We had a decent amount in benefits from various sources that were being applied to it, (from previous feedback, to gifts from our on board cruise consultant, etc). All-in-all, it is about $700 of OBC, a 3-bottle Wine Package, 2 dinners for two at the Pinnacle, and some chocolates in the room.

I'll be mighty ticked if they don't transfer them from the cancelled TA to our Caribbean.

What is with the cancellations? I have read of 3 cancelled cruises on 3 different threads today. Not one was the topic of the thread but mentioned in a reply so I couldn't find them again if asked. Just wondering if anyone else noticed?

I sure did notice this. Very sad for a lot of people. I know things change, but I know once I choose a cruise I have my heart set on it and I suspect I'm not the only one.

I read about 1 cancellation - but not three.

Lots of cancellations in the threads KK. I think there are actually more than 3!

I sure did notice this. Very sad for a lot of people. I know things change, but I know once I choose a cruise I have my heart set on it and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Lots of cancellations in the threads KK. I think there are actually more than 3!

I am hunting for them now.

We may be affected by this as well.

Are we notified by HAL if booked cruises are cancelled or do we find out here?

You should be notified by HAL or your TA (if you used a TA) but sometimes you can find out faster here ;) Seriously, you do get notified.

If you purchase trip cancellation insurance and HAL cancels will the insurance reimburse the plane tickets?

yes they should. Here's the catch, some companies don't want you to buy the trip insurance until you have made final payment. If HAL cancels before final payment, you might not have the trip insurance yet. IMO, if HAL cancels, they should be coming good for non-recoverable costs. Guess I am in a nasty mood today ;)

Are we notified by HAL if booked cruises are cancelled or do we find out here?

I notified our TA this morning.

Called her at home and she rushed into work early.

Read the fax from HAL -- and by that time she had several calls waiting for her from others who had booked the Nieuw Amsterdam.

By the time she got hold of Seattle, they were swamped with calls.

You need to ask HAL if they are going to pay for the insurance you paid for.

You are so right. If they cancel we should get every penny that was paid to go on this trip. Just not right. I'm not booked on this one, BTW, I just feel it is unfair to those of you who are.

We were booked on the Nov 1 and Nov 8 cruises -- but never buy insurance until 1 day before final payment. So thankfully we don't have to fight for that money.

Also we buy refundable air line ticket -- just cancelled them. And we do not deal with sites where you can get cheap hotel prices by paying in advance with no refunds when you cancel. That is sometime else who book hotels early and through those no refund sites will have to fight for.

yes they should. Here's the catch, some companies don't want you to buy the trip insurance until you have made final payment. If HAL cancels before final payment, you might not have the trip insurance yet. IMO, if HAL cancels, they should be coming good for non-recoverable costs. Guess I am in a nasty mood today ;)

We were booked on the Nov 1 and Nov 8 cruises -- but never buy insurance until 1 day before final payment. So thankfully we don't have to fight for that money.

Also we buy refundable air line ticket -- just cancelled them. And we do not deal with sites where you can get cheap hotel prices by paying in advance with no refunds when you cancel. That is sometime else who book hotels early and through those no refund sites will have to fight for.

Many of the third party insurance polices many of us in U.S. purchase have to be bought within set number of days after booking in order to be covered for pre-existing conditions. There are a few which can be purchased at final payment time but the ones I like have to be bought earlier.

I so agree HAL should be responsible to cover all costs anyone incurred for for air tickets, non-refundable insurance costs etc No one should be out money because HAL canceled their cruise. This has been an on-going gripe I've had for years. If HAL cancels a cruise, they should not leave anyone holding the bag for verifiable non-refundable costs associated with that cruise.