Cancellations

1of4

We were booked on the Nov 1 and Nov 8 cruises -- but never buy insurance until 1 day before final payment. So thankfully we don't have to fight for that money.

Also we buy refundable air line ticket -- just cancelled them. And we do not deal with sites where you can get cheap hotel prices by paying in advance with no refunds when you cancel. That is sometime else who book hotels early and through those no refund sites will have to fight for.

How do you get medical coverage for pre-existing conditions when purchasing the policy so late. You can't be referring to the HAL cancellation policy. That only provides for $10,000 in medical. That's not much better than no coverage at all.

Many of the third party insurance polices many of us in U.S. purchase have to be bought within set number of days after booking in order to be covered for pre-existing conditions. There are a few which can be purchased at final payment time but the ones I like have to be bought earlier.

I so agree HAL should be responsible to cover all costs anyone incurred for for air tickets, non-refundable insurance costs etc No one should be out money because HAL canceled their cruise. This has been an on-going gripe I've had for years. If HAL cancels a cruise, they should not leave anyone holding the bag for verifiable non-refundable costs associated with that cruise.

We are in Canada as you know Sail, my primary insurance company I use doesn't want to put the insurance in place until I have paid the final payment.

This is trip cancellation only. I have separate coverage for medical automatically for 30 days and just top up any additional days we need.

We are in Canada as you know Sail, my primary insurance company I use doesn't want to put the insurance in place until I have paid the final payment.

This is trip cancellation only. I have separate coverage for medical automatically for 30 days and just top up any additional days we need.

That is why I addressed my comment to KK and made it quite clear I was referencing purchasing travel/medical insurance in U.S.

I was pointing out to you it is (mostly) different in U.S., with some exception.

Edited by sail7seas

How we insure for our trips is no one else's concern but ours. ;) Funny this topic came up though as I have spent most of the day sorting out our insurance for our next cruise.

That is why I addressed my comment to KK and made it quite clear I was referencing purchasing travel/medical insurance in U.S.

I was pointing out to you it is (mostly) different in U.S., with some exception.

Well bless my heart, you quoted me as well agreeing that HAL should cover costs and that was why I thought you quoted me. Since there are many CC members that are not from the U.S., different rules apply.

Indeed, because there are many CC'ers from various countries is THE reason I pointed out I was specifically asking KK about insurance written in U.S.

Please let me know if more clarification would be helpful.

:D communication is slow

Edited by sail7seas

How do you get medical coverage for pre-existing conditions when purchasing the policy so late. You can't be referring to the HAL cancellation policy. That only provides for $10,000 in medical. That's not much better than no coverage at all.

I have been way too busy to be on CC today.

We have not bought HAL insurance for our last couple of cruises .

Do not wish to discuss what we are now buying -- but are well protected.

Everyone has to choose according to their medical conditions.

I know that you have mentioned many times that you have MedJet for evacuation and you have said that is important for evacuation from the ship -- is that really true ??.

I know that you have mentioned many times that you have MedJet for evacuation and you have said that is important for evacuation from the ship -- is that really true ??.

Medjet will not evacuate you from the ship, only land.

How we insure for our trips is no one else's concern but ours. ;) Funny this topic came up though as I have spent most of the day sorting out our insurance for our next cruise.

True, but I've learned a thing or two on the boards from people talking about it. It's helpful :).

No, that is not accurate.

MedJet does not evacuate from ships.

True, but I've learned a thing or two on the boards from people talking about it. It's helpful :).

True. But I've also seen a heck of a lot of misinformation. You read it then do your own research. But I would never demand to know what insurance someone else has.

Insurance is one very important thing....the Canadian dollar is a whole other consideration. :mad: I like the gas prices but dislike paying 15 cents more on the dollar. Oh well. Back to deliberations on how much insurance as final payment approaches.

We are lucky to be able to cruise. That is the bottom line. I have been told by teachers that DS and DD are the most worldly students they have ever had in their classes....

Insurance is one very important thing....the Canadian dollar is a whole other consideration. :mad: I like the gas prices but dislike paying 15 cents more on the dollar. Oh well. Back to deliberations on how much insurance as final payment approaches.

We are lucky to be able to cruise. That is the bottom line. I have been told by teachers that DS and DD are the most worldly students they have ever had in their classes....

We liked our lower prices of gas until this week when a new law in our state raised the price by 10 cents to 15 cents per gallon -- for road repairs.

That is what I thought when I looked at MedJet policies a couple of years ago.

MedJet gets very high reviews. I know a doctor and his wife who used it for transfer from Mexico back to Boston after becoming ill while traveling. It beats many other polices as they will bring you to hospital of your choice if possible and you are well enough to travel. Most othesr bring you where they want.

We liked our lower prices of gas until this week when a new law in our state raised the price by 10 cents to 15 cents per gallon -- for road repairs.

Don't feel bad, our state did the same thing. Like our gas taxes weren't hight enough. Probably to help pay for Jerry's train.:mad:

MedJet gets very high reviews. I know a doctor and his wife who used it for transfer from Mexico back to Boston after becoming ill while traveling. It beats many other polices as they will bring you to hospital of your choice if possible and you are well enough to travel. Most othesr bring you where they want.

You must be in a hospital for MedJet to transfer from there to your home. Read their policy (online).

When HAL canceled my cruise back in 2013 because of a charter my TA got them to pay all the costs of changing my flights. Looking at my cruise statement from my TA it looks like my travel insurance was not affected by the change being HAL paid the cancelation charges for the flights.

I know I was upset by the cancelation but we ended up having a great cruise at a better time of year for the Mediterranean and met a great group of CC members.

You must be in a hospital for MedJet to transfer from there to your home. Read their policy (online).

Yes, that is correct.

Where did I say other than that?

I have had MedJet policy for many years and have read every word. ;) .... as did my attorney.

Edited by sail7seas

I like the lower gas prices too but it comes at a price. I worry about up keeping my job every day. When the price of oil is under $50 it's cause to worry more. Eventually it will affect all of Canada when all those royalties companies pay to the government is not going in the coffers.

Edited by cruz chic

A family member had to lay off 160 people today. My entire family and most friends are in the oil industry. I'm sick of people saying low gas prices are good.

When Halliburton and the like lay off thousands in March, and the economy slows to a stall, the toll will be known better.

Edited by sppunk

My father had to lay off 160 people today. My entire family and most friends are in the oil industry. I'm sick of people saying low gas prices are good.

When Halliburton and the like lay off thousands in March, and the economy slows to a stall, the toll will be known better.

I've worked in the oil and gas industry all my working life, about 33 years. Some people think it's such a sweet life. I can't remember that last time I didn't worry about losing my job. I'm quite sure it's taken years off my life. It's nice to hear from someone that understands. Thx.

I've worked in the oil and gas industry all my working life, about 33 years. Some people think it's such a sweet life. I can't remember that last time I didn't worry about losing my job. I'm quite sure it's taken years off my life. It's nice to hear from someone that understands. Thx.

Every single day growing up we'd wait for dad to get home to find out if he had a job still. It's a rough life, indeed.