Category upgrade from N to IQ?

sparkles0441

Hi all,

On this Sunday, Jan. 11, I will depart on my first ever cruise! Isn't that exciting? I will be on the Eastern Caribbean itenerary on Nieuw Amsterdam.

It was a last minute booking, and budget minded, so we booked the N-guarantee stateroom. I understand that means that the lowest we can get is the N category (although it doesn't really get lower, does it?), and that the N would be a small inside cabin that is not exactly the most desirable. We were okay with this however, as I'm just excited for the experience.

This week we got our room assignment and was excited to see it was listed as a "Large interior spa room"- category IQ, room 10040. Well I joined Cruise Critic yesterday to learn a bit, and found out that these rooms may actually be the smallest onboard and not really an upgrade. We won't be using the spa, and it doesn't seem as if there will be room enough to use the yoga mat even if I did yoga.

I am looking for advice. Is there anything about these "spa rooms" that would really make them worth it? Is there enough of a difference good or bad from the small N rooms that it would be worth talking to customer service about to see if we could get one of those instead? I certainly wouldn't ask for a cabin above the N-category as that is what we expected and paid for, but according to some posts I saw, the indoor spa may be worse with "extras" we care nothing for...

Thanks for any and all help!

From what I can see on the ship deck plans IQ10040 is on the Panorama deck up by some of the larger veranda spa cabins- to me it looks like any interior cabin we have had on HAL. It does appear to be a long thin room instead of what the N rooms are pictured as a square............. It really doesn't matter- we book interior because we are only in there to sleep and shower! You are close to the elevators but you are on the deck with the same level as the sliding roof of the Lido pool. You will have a wonderful time regardless of where you are. I know our first cruise I stressed about our cabin, but there is so much ship and so much to do, it really is just a landing spot amid all the excitement!:)

Edited by VTcruisenut

We did a transAtlantic on the Eurodam in an IQ and were fine it. The water feature takes up a bit of valuable counterspace (so you may want to ask your room steward if he could store it away somewhere for you. Ours had the cheater window looking to the side of the magradome, so you could at least infer what time of day it was. What I really appreciated was the room location itself. Easy access to the sports deck and outside with Lido, Tamarind and Silk Den not too far away. Scott.

The N and the IQ probably do not differ that much overall.

However, from the "value" point of view, if you had booked that IQ, you would have paid a fair bit more for it than you did for the N.

This is mostly what guarentee bookings are about.

I say a good assignemnt, one I would be happy with.

have a great cruise!!

Thank you all! I did like the location of the room when I looked at it on the map. I tend to overplan/overthing everything when I'm not familiar with a situation, so I just need to take a deep breath and chill. We won't be in the room for any extended amount of time other than to sleep, so it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. There's so many other places on the ship to explore!

Edited by sparkles0441

The first Transatlantic we took, a 27 day cruise, was on the Nieuw Amsterdam in one of the sideways inside cabins, by far the smallest cabin we ever had. Our dining companion (who had one of the largest suites on the ship) came to our cabin to gift us with a bottle of wine. When we opened the door she actually screamed and asked how 2 people could stay in such a small cabin. :) She felt so bad that we were in that cabin but I explained it was our choice to be there since we spent so little time in the cabin and the money saved would be well spent on other things. She really was a lovely lady despite what this may sound like.

Cabin size didn't matter at all! We had a terrific time on a beautiful ship. You will no doubt have a great time. Enjoy!

The first Transatlantic we took, a 27 day cruise, was on the Nieuw Amsterdam in one of the sideways inside cabins, by far the smallest cabin we ever had. Our dining companion (who had one of the largest suites on the ship) came to our cabin to gift us with a bottle of wine. When we opened the door she actually screamed and asked how 2 people could stay in such a small cabin. :) She felt so bad that we were in that cabin but I explained it was our choice to be there since we spent so little time in the cabin and the money saved would be well spent on other things. She really was a lovely lady despite what this may sound like.

Cabin size didn't matter at all! We had a terrific time on a beautiful ship. You will no doubt have a great time. Enjoy!

I'm sorry, but that person was totally classless. It's one thing to think it but to come out and say it is another.

OP, just for further info when you take a guarantee, you can be assigned at that level or higher. There is almost always the opportunity to book a specific room. I almost always book guarantees on HAL because I'm pretty ok with any room. On princess I book an exact room because I don't enjoy where they put me.

I am looking for advice. Is there anything about these "spa rooms" that would really make them worth it?

No. Not a thing. For some reason, HAL has decided that these cabins are desirable; they aren't. They are high up on the hierarchy, but there are many inside cabins that are larger and more well located. If I were moved from one of my preferred insides to one of these, I would feel robbed.

That said, it's no worse than the N-category cabins, either. So long as you can have the "water feature" removed to give you a little more desk space, you are doing at least as well as the category you booked.

Have a good time, and come back and tell us how you liked the cabin.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will be fine with your cabin. There is so much to do on a ship.

Don't forget to try the Tamarind Restaurant.

And don't forget to come back and tell us all about your first cruise.

Bon Voyage!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I'm in agreement with KK, you will be just fine in your cabin.

Now go have a wonderful cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

A big thank you to all who replied! Even asking the question seems kinda silly now as I knew that there wasn't going to be much of a difference, if any, but Holland America's website really doesn't give you much information on the individual rooms and all the pictures look the same. I'm just trying to wait patiently for Sunday to arrive so that I can board!

I wish I would have found Cruise Critic earlier in this process, but I've learned a lot just browsing the threads over the past few days! I'll come back and let everyone know how my first cruise went :)

A big thank you to all who replied! Even asking the question seems kinda silly now as I knew that there wasn't going to be much of a difference, if any, but Holland America's website really doesn't give you much information on the individual rooms and all the pictures look the same. I'm just trying to wait patiently for Sunday to arrive so that I can board!

I wish I would have found Cruise Critic earlier in this process, but I've learned a lot just browsing the threads over the past few days! I'll come back and let everyone know how my first cruise went :)

You're right on both counts: HAL's website could be more informative and CC is a great informational (and entertaining) site.

We cruised a lot of years before we found it and we've learned SO much!

Have a great cruise and come back and tell us all about it! First cruise ever: what fun!!!!!

Edited by SilvertoGold

• 1 month later...
how was the IQ cabin? how small and how was the set-up. can't fins any pics online of this type of cabin

Oh, I wish I would have remembered to take a picture of the room. It was quite small, with the bed taking up almost all of it. There is a skinny path as you enter the has the closets on one side and the bathroom on the other. In front of the bed was the desk with a stool (top comes off and you can use it for storage), and there was a small table with a single chair. Despite the size, it was fine for the two of us since we weren't there most of the time. At one point we even fit 7 total people in there to open the wine each person was allowed to bring on board and have a drink.

I will say that I don't think they sell many of these. The free water was nice but the room isn't worth paying the full price for. No spa treatments or even any discounts that were advertised. Out of the 5 cabins my group booked, 4 of them were N guarantees and only 1 of the cabins received was N. The other 3 got upgraded to IQ.

the beds were comfy so other than that I wouldn't get too hung up on rooms again. With an indoor cabin and all the excursions I've never slept so soundly or felt so rested. I wish I could sleep in total darkness more often!

If the guarantee is the cheapest, I would go with that, but if its the same price to select a cabin, I like to choose mine. One time, I was upgraded to a better position on the ship, but ended up in a handicap cabin. I lost the bathtub and considerable closet space. So Im hesitant to do guarantees unless there is a savings involved. Im more concerned with the cabin space, than its location....

Thanks for coming back to report on your stateroom. Did you have a good time on your 1st cruise and have you booked a 2nd one for next year? ;)

I absolutely loved my 1st cruise! It was also my first time ever out of the country so it was very memorable. I'm getting married next year, and we have decided on a cruise for our honeymoon, so unless I can convince him that we need a summer cruise that will be our next one. I hear that the ms Koningsdam will be in the water by then :P

I was very impressed with Holland America. Even though we are in our mid-20s we are not crazy partiers or always need something to occupy our time. The slower pace on the ship mixed with the active days on shore worked for us perfectly. I also enjoyed the Dancing with the Stars events. One way or another, I'll be back!

Thanks for coming back and reporting!

What I wonder is how HAL decided who got the N and who got the IQ in your group. I can image all the criteria, but which ones determine this???

Hope you will have great memories of this first cruise!

Thank you! And thank you to all the others who have commented!

It would be interesting to know how all this was determined. This trip was planned at the last minute, with us booking only a month in advance. And the couple who had actually sailed HAL before got the N, the rest of us were HAL newbies although a few had been on carnival/princess.

Either way, I blew the N vs IQ thing out of proportion. They were overall the same size with the N being sideways and with the bed near the hallway instead of having the closets/bathroom as a buffer. The N occupants also complained about noise from the showroom...there was a Christian rock festival on board that would be in there all day, while the 10th floor IQs were pretty quiet.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I'm sorry, but that person was totally classless. It's one thing to think it but to come out and say it is another.

OP, just for further info when you take a guarantee, you can be assigned at that level or higher. There is almost always the opportunity to book a specific room. I almost always book guarantees on HAL because I'm pretty ok with any room. On princess I book an exact room because I don't enjoy where they put me.

Agree 100%! Total lack of class and very rude. Some people are just clueless I guess.

I would not feel obligated to explain why I selected the cabin I did, but I know it is just a reaction to do so. Next time, just tell them it was a free cabin so you could not complain!