Mornington peninsula

I am sailing on the Pacific Pearl next month and one of the ports we will be visiting will be the Mornington Peninsula, this will be a tender port, does anyone know where we will be dropped off on the shore.

I realise this may be a first time visit by P & O and no information may be available.

At a guess I'd say it would be Sorrento. From what I recall from visiting there, and what I can see from Google Maps, that would be the only place with a suitable wharf for the tenders.

I agree Sorrento would be the logical answer.

I believe the plan is to tender into Mornington township according to what was written in the local newspaper a while back.

Yes, that is what I also read.

Short walk down the main street.

Anyone know what day of the week? It's market day on Wednesdays.

Yes, that is what I also read.

Short walk down the main street.

Anyone know what day of the week? It's market day on Wednesdays.

Thanks to you both for the information.

Will the dock handle it?

They are just finishing off a new breakwater/ jetty rebuild it has a water level pontoon that I imagine the tenders will be able to come along side fairly easily but there isn't much space to have a few of them dockside at the same time but one at a time they'll be fine. Unless they are running a shuttle to Main Street there is a bit of a hill to get up. I'll be sure to pop down and be nosey on how they manage it all.

They are just finishing off a new breakwater/ jetty rebuild it has a water level pontoon that I imagine the tenders will be able to come along side fairly easily but there isn't much space to have a few of them dockside at the same time but one at a time they'll be fine. Unless they are running a shuttle to Main Street there is a bit of a hill to get up. I'll be sure to pop down and be nosey on how they manage it all.

I wasn't aware of the renovations that's why I pumped for Sorrento I honestly didn't think any other jetty,wharf/dock in the area would handle it

Sounds like an interesting stop over.

I would imagine they would have tours to the ex defence force and quarantine area and out to Fort Nepean which gives a great view of the "The Rip" at entrance to Port Phillip Bay as well as the beach where Harold Holt disappeared from in the 50's.

I guess you could have a day trip to Melbourne from there.

Seems odd itineraries, Sydney to Mornington and back 4 day cruise.

To me, too. At first. I thought-Mornington? Why there?

But I am warming to it.

I think decentralising has a lot going for it.

Probably the docks in Melbourne are chockers and booked out a long way in advance and who is to say going to Mornington could not prove to be just as exciting.

Mornington is a quiet sort of area but quite pretty and there is no reason why a tourist industry could not expand there to meet the demand, especially if ships started to stop there regularly.

Mornington has a few historical homes and gardens, art, historic buildings such as Victoria's oldest courthouse, a steam train, panoramic views and an interesting little township.

I don't have any idea what ship tours have been organised but if I were in charge, I would have been negotiating with the people who run some of those places.

And my guess is extra cafes and markets might spring up to cater for the trade once it gets going.

I would hope that people who choose this type of cruise wouldn't see it as a necessity to then travel into Melbourne. It could be done, but my guess is a lot of people on the cruise may already have been there before.

So it could be a real boon to this region of Victoria.

Maybe there need to be more of these sorts of cruises, to various regional places in Australia.

I am going on a 4 day cruise soon to Moreton Island. There's not much there really, it is just a sand island, but the resort seems to have a lot of organised activities and I am looking forward to the break. Quite excited really. I am not upset we aren't going to Brisbane as I was there not that long ago, but there is no reason Sydney cruises couldn't do Brisbane and Moreton Island on some itineraries.

Just speaking for myself here, but sometimes when I look at cruises, I am not necessarily after a long, expensive one. But often the only things around seem to be to the Sth Pacific, or to far north Qld or NZ. I've already done the first 2 and am doing NZ in Feb, so when I saw something different-to Moreton Island-it was quite refreshing.

I hope people get to see Mornington in the same way eventually.

[quote name=Docker123;45188792

Seems odd itineraries' date=' Sydney to Mornington and back 4 day cruise.[/quote]

If this is the cruise at the end of Feb then its an 8 day from sydney via Eden, Mornington, Portland and Kangaroo Island and returning to Sydney. Am booked to do this one as gets me to KI which I've not been to previously.

The four day trips to Moreton Island are terrific especially if can do one over the weekend thus less time off work. We did a couple in 2014 and somehow felt the trips were longer than the reality and we felt really relaxed.

If this is the cruise at the end of Feb then its an 8 day from sydney via Eden, Mornington, Portland and Kangaroo Island and returning to Sydney. Am booked to do this one as gets me to KI which I've not been to previously.

The four day trips to Moreton Island are terrific especially if can do one over the weekend thus less time off work. We did a couple in 2014 and somehow felt the trips were longer than the reality and we felt really relaxed.

The P&O site shows several cruisling cruises that are 4 days. Here is one example

http://www.pocruises.com.au/findacruise/pages/CruiseProfile.aspx?CruiseCode=P510P

• 4 weeks later...

Funny enough just been reading about this.

It's coming into Mornington and lots of things are planned. There special market, as it's here on a Tuesday, not normal market day. Most local tourism traders will be setup at or near the pier for independent tours and the local Hotel is planning to run a shuttle up the hill to Main street for those who don't want to take the short walk up.

We live near to Mornington so this is a"big thing" locally

As big old bird said there will be a special market day out on for the cruisers. Mornington is a beautiful town to visit and they have plenty of shore tours on offer. I have seen the proposed shore tours and they looked great but I cannot remember what they were. I think one was Arthur's seat, wineries.

I am looking forward to coming down to see the ship as I only live 15 minutes away.

Linda

Add. I found the article, here is an snippet

The whole peninsula is set to benefit from a splurge in tourist dollars with Carnival Cruise lines arranging assorted tours, such as Mornington Explorer bus trips, relaxing at Peninsula Hot Springs, enjoying a tipple at Red Hill Estate and Green Olive, a Horseback Winery Adventure, drink at T’Gallant Winemakers, visiting Enchanted Adventure Garden, stand up paddle boarding, Sorrento dolphin swim, snorkelling with sea dragons, dolphin sanctuary kayaking, Mornington fishing experience, and sand sculpting at Frankston.

Edited by victravellers

Funny enough just been reading about this.

It's coming into Mornington and lots of things are planned. There special market, as it's here on a Tuesday, not normal market day. Most local tourism traders will be setup at or near the pier for independent tours and the local Hotel is planning to run a shuttle up the hill to Main street for those who don't want to take the short walk up.

We live near to Mornington so this is a"big thing" locally

As big old bird said there will be a special market day out on for the cruisers. Mornington is a beautiful town to visit and they have plenty of shore tours on offer. I have seen the proposed shore tours and they looked great but I cannot remember what they were. I think one was Arthur's seat, wineries.

I am looking forward to coming down to see the ship as I only live 15 minutes away.

Linda

I'm sure that businesses are very excited and hope it all goes well, it is a beautiful area.

• 1 month later...

I went to Mornington to do some shopping today. One of my favourite stores is there.:)

I remembered when I saw the market and the people that Pacific Jewel? is there today. I drove along the Esplanade and saw her in the harbour.:)