Are Anytime dining reservations possible??

LPG27

If you selected anytime dining can you make reservations for dinner? If you can, do you have to go to the restaurant to make the reservation or can you just call to reserve? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about this to ensure you get a good reservation? I am leaving on the Grand Saturday for Mexican Riviera. thanks

It depends on which ship you are on. Some allow reservations; some don't. To make a reservation you call the dine line. It should be marked on the phone in your cabin. I just got off the Grand last Saturday and you can make reservations there. If you try to call right at 8 AM be prepared for a long wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Sea Day Cruiser

There's no set policy regarding Anytime dining reservations. It's up to the Maitre d'. Some allow reservations any time, some just before 6pm and after 8pm, some for the whole cruise, some for just that night, and any combination.

When you board, call the DINE line to make a reservation. Check with the head waiter that night to see if you can make a "standing" reservation. Otherwise, call at 8am in the morning of the evening you want to make the reservation.

Going to one of the restaurants won't help as they take reservations only for the specialty restaurants.

I think it also depends on how large your group is. We were a group of 5, 4 adults and one child. We were staying in a suite. We normally want the early dinning but could not get it for that particular cruise. Because of our odd size they would not let us in before 8 which was ridiculous, becuse of the four year old and some medical problems of needing to eat at a certain time.

However we finally got the Matre' D to give us a permanet assigned table and time. I guess what I am saying if you have a larger group or odd size group, they are not always very ameniable in ATD.

I think it also depends on how large your group is. We were a group of 5, 4 adults and one child. We were staying in a suite. We normally want the early dinning but could not get it for that particular cruise. Because of our odd size they would not let us in before 8 which was ridiculous, becuse of the four year old and some medical problems of needing to eat at a certain time.

However we finally got the Matre' D to give us a permanet assigned table and time. I guess what I am saying if you have a larger group or odd size group, they are not always very ameniable in ATD.

Just curious were you staying in a full suite or a mini suite? Normally in a full suite they are falling all over themselves to make you happy. :)

If you selected anytime dining can you make reservations for dinner? If you can, do you have to go to the restaurant to make the reservation or can you just call to reserve? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about this to ensure you get a good reservation? I am leaving on the Grand Saturday for Mexican Riviera. thanks

Not sure how you'd define a "good" reservation. The earlier you call the DINE line, the more likely you are to get what you want. A limited number of tables can be reserved, and as Pam said, not all time slots are necessarily up for grabs. You're more likely to get your wish if you ask for something on the late side, 8:00 or later, and/or if you're willing to dine with a group. Table for two at 6:30? Maybe not.

And though others have had very different experiences, when I've had ATD, I've never had much if any of a wait for a walk-up table after 8:00, except once on NYE.

I have never had to wait for a table when arriving at the MDR after 8 PM. The room was only about half full as most pax like to eat either early or just after 7 PM. The worst line I have seen was the early crowd before 7 PM when the line snaked out to the IC! If you consistently want to eat early, use TD.

As others posted call the DINE line either each day or see the Head Waiter if you wish a standing res.

Some tips: They only take res. in the MDR for certain times, as an example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45. On the ships we have been on res. were not taken for times other then their set times. The Crown Grill and Sabatini's accept reservations for other times.

It's more crowded when you dine early, but if you want to dine at say 8pm you probably will just be able to walk in and it will not be crowded.

Tables to share are easier to get then tables for two.

It is more difficult for larger groups, so if that is your situation you will have to speak with the maitre'd or head waiter.

We normally feel out the passenger demographic during the first few nights then we are able to determine if we need a res.

We usually wait till we find a table and/or the waiters we really like and ask if we can be seated there every night. We usually ask the head waiters on our way out. We like a table for two and like to eat after 8 pm. Never had a problem yet although it can take 2-3 nights before we find just the right table

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just curious were you staying in a full suite or a mini suite? Normally in a full suite they are falling all over themselves to make you happy. :)

We were in one of the family suites. I know we did not take full advantage of everything. We were not sure whas everything was at that time. When we went the first night and went to dinner and they would not let us in with five, I did not push that we were in a suite. I guess I never thought about using that. If I had know that it would have save me a lot of anguish.

I was in a full suite on a ship where the Maitre D allowed no anytime reservations. Being in a full suite meant absolutely nothing despite my calls to the Dine Line.

Note that one reason they do not take reservations for 6 is that to do so they would have to keep the tables clear from when the MDR opens until then, wasting space. Since they fill the MDR with diners usually by 5:30, the next time they can offer is 7:30 because they have to wait for people to eat.

On my recent Regal sailing they allowed a reservation on the dine line at a particular table at 8:30. When we arrived the table was taken and we were seated elsewhere. So they did not honor the table but did the time.

We were also told on another night that the Symphony dining room was filled and we were sent to the Concerto dining room and this was well after 8:00 but it was formal night and I think people tend to eat later on Formal nights.

Perhaps with the concierge in Michael's club for CS and above suites, he/she would make the reservation. Our butler helped us in an S1 to get what we wanted.

Probably works great on Celebrity to do this. Princess doesn't have butlers.

Full suites on Regal and Royal due have a concierge lounge so maybe that applied to them.

I was in a full suite on a ship where the Maitre D allowed no anytime reservations. Being in a full suite meant absolutely nothing despite my calls to the Dine Line.

Guess again it depends on the ship. Just did a 10 day on the Grand in a WS. It got comical that just about every day they would call wanting to know if everything was ok and did we need reservations made for our AT dining.