First time cruise on Majesty of the Seas

EJH55

Hello All,

I'm preparing for a first time 4 day cruise on Majesty of the Seas, departing March 2nd. Very much looking forward to it, but also slightly daunted!

Had a couple of questions I was hoping some wiser heads could assist with.

1) We're in a junior suite - do these cabins come with a hairdryer (question from girlfriend!!)

2) How formal is 'formal' on Royal Caribbean? Being British, formal means Tuxedo, which I am planning to pack, along with a couple of smart jackets and trousers for semi formal evenings. Would this suffice?

3) As someone who enjoys wine with lunch and dinner, a couple of pre dinner cocktails, and perhaps a whisky before bed, would people recommend one of the drinks packages?

4) How early should one arrive to check in for a 4pm sailing?

Many thanks all! :)

#4 arrive at the pier about 10:30 = 11am and be onboard before noon enjoying your first lunch

#2. formal night can be what you want. U will find a lot of different people dressed in different ways.

with luggage restrictions packing tuxs are just not worth the added space

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You do not need all those fancy clothes. In fact you need only a formal outfit if even that. Some of the shorter 3 and 4 day cruises do not have a formal night. But if you plan to go to a specialty restaurant one night you will need either a suit or jacket and tie.

Otherwise it will be smart casual.

I could not find a Roll Call for your cruise, but you can start one at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=265&order=desc

I live in Miami and I have sailed Majesty probably 50 times since she's been here.

Yes, there is a hair dryer. However, if she has long or thick hair, she may want to consider bringing her own. Cruise ship hair dryers, like in hotels, are pretty weak.

The short itinerary Majesty cruise is perhaps the least formal cruise in Royal Caribbean. You will see about 50% of the passengers dressed up, and maybe 1 or 2 in tuxedos. I recommend leaving the tux at home and maybe just wearing a dinner jacket on formal night.

Yes, I do recommend the drinks package for you. Check out the different packages and pick the one best suited for the types of drinks you desire.

Majesty almost always begins boarding at 11 am. If you're already in Miami, i recommend getting to pier around 10:30 - 10:45. You'll be one of the first on and you'll have all that much more time to explore and enjoy the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cruzaholic41

The 4 day voyage on the Majesty was my 1st cruise too. Can't believe that was more than 10 years ago. :cool:

We dressed up for formal night -- me in a sequined cocktail dress, him in a tux. we were among the very few on board who did & within an hour after dinner was over, everyone else on board was back in shorts. I would never pack fancy clothes for that cruise again ever.

If you like quiet, head up to the Viking Crown lounge for the panoramic views. Few people were ever up there on our trip.

Only you know whether the beverage package works for you. You know what you drink (make sure it's included) and how much. Do the math.

Hello All,

I'm preparing for a first time 4 day cruise on Majesty of the Seas, departing March 2nd. Very much looking forward to it, but also slightly daunted!

1) We're in a junior suite - do these cabins come with a hairdryer (question from girlfriend!!)

2) How formal is 'formal' on Royal Caribbean? Being British, formal means Tuxedo, which I am planning to pack, along with a couple of smart jackets and trousers for semi formal evenings. Would this suffice?

3) As someone who enjoys wine with lunch and dinner, a couple of pre dinner cocktails, and perhaps a whisky before bed, would people recommend one of the drinks packages?

One thing to think about with the drink package is at least last time I was on RCL, is that if one adult in the cabin gets all inclusive package, all adults had to get it. Which like in my case I drink a little more than the DW so it made it not worth it.

Bill

One thing to think about with the drink package is at least last time I was on RCL, is that if one adult in the cabin gets all inclusive package, all adults had to get it. Which like in my case I drink a little more than the DW so it made it not worth it.

They don't do that anymore.

On your 4 nighter, you will have 1 "formal" night, and the rest are casual....slacks and collared shirt will be fine! Even on "formal' night, very few will actually wear a tux/gown....a suit/cocktail dress is more along the lines of what short cruises consider "formal". That said...a tux and gown will not be considered "overdressed"!

Thanks very much all - very good tips. We're spending a couple of days in Miami before the sailing and eating at The Forge, which I understand is quite smart. So I will pack one suit (not a tux) and a couple of smart jackets to wear with chinos.

Im a stickler for time keeping so will probably be at the check in for 10.45 as suggested!

Is there a bar in the Viking Lounge? It sounds like an ideal place for an after-dinner drink!

Hello All,

As you can see, you get very different views on this loaded question, some of them wrong...I am a cruise agent & have cruised 30 times, including the Majesty..as for formal night, it is entirely up to you- I do not do formal anymore..I do not want to wear a suit or tux on my cruise holiday- that would be like the mailman taking a walk on his day off..I just wear a nice shirt & trousers..I don't even bring a jacket or tie..this is my VACATION, why would I want to dress for business??? BUT, wear what you feel comfortable with...

If you like cocktails, consider the drink package, but look at closely and MAKE SURE it includes what you drink...there are some that are just wine & beer, so check it out..

I like to arrive around 11:30 so we can board, eat lunch ( in the Windjammer probably), and tour the ship..cabins are normally ready around 1 or 1:30...make sure you check out the Schooner Bar ( deck 4), Boleros ( latin music, deck 7), and the Viking Crown Lounge ( deck 12, aft)..she is a small & old ship, but nice for a short cruise..no British Pub like the newer, bigger ships...any questions, give a shout..Cheers..

Big Al

Thanks very much all - very good tips. We're spending a couple of days in Miami before the sailing and eating at The Forge, which I understand is quite smart. So I will pack one suit (not a tux) and a couple of smart jackets to wear with chinos.

Im a stickler for time keeping so will probably be at the check in for 10.45 as suggested!

Is there a bar in the Viking Lounge? It sounds like an ideal place for an after-dinner drink!

Yes there is a bar in the Viking.

Miami is a casual city. You might be OK with just the jackets & dress pants rather than a suit & tie