Question: Dropping off luggage at San Pedro terminal

ktcruiser

We're jumping on the Norovirus Ship... er... I mean the Crown Princess :D tomorrow and have a few questions about dropping off our luggage:

We'd like to drop off the luggage at the ship pretty early and then jump on the San Pedro Trolley to tour around town for a while.

How early do you think we could drop our luggage off? Would they be accepting luggage at 10 AM?

I think I saw someone post (perhaps Bruin Steve?) that they jumped on the trolley at the terminal - so the terminal area is pedestrian friendly? Some terminal areas (i'm envisioning Miami) are very pedestrian UNfriendly, want to make sure we can walk back out and in again easily.

And i've just hit Platinum status with Princess - at peak times, are the Preferred check-in lines noticeably shorter? Just curious. We probably won't get back until about 2 pm, after boarding starts.

Thanks in advance! :)

Karyn

We're jumping on the Norovirus Ship... er... I mean the Crown Princess :D tomorrow and have a few questions about dropping off our luggage:

We'd like to drop off the luggage at the ship pretty early and then jump on the San Pedro Trolley to tour around town for a while.

How early do you think we could drop our luggage off? Would they be accepting luggage at 10 AM?

I think I saw someone post (perhaps Bruin Steve?) that they jumped on the trolley at the terminal - so the terminal area is pedestrian friendly? Some terminal areas (i'm envisioning Miami) are very pedestrian UNfriendly, want to make sure we can walk back out and in again easily.

And i've just hit Platinum status with Princess - at peak times, are the Preferred check-in lines noticeably shorter? Just curious. We probably won't get back until about 2 pm, after boarding starts.

Thanks in advance! :)

Karyn

Based on the prior cruise and if there are no issues, they will start taking luggage wround 9:30.

You will hand your luggage off to a porter (with the usual tip of course) and there should be problem with doing that at 1000. With your new Platinum status you will get priority boarding and likely can do that between 1130 and noon.

You can drop off your luggage any time from 10am on. You could possibly drop it off at 9:30am but for safety's sake, I'd say 10am. It'll happen very fast so have your cash tip handy. The porters will be at your car practically before you stop. Boom... boom... and your luggage is gone. :)

Yes, the trolley leaves from the Cruise port entrance. You shouldn't have any problem parking your car and walking to the entrance. Here's a link to the trolley. Stop at the Ports O' Call for shopping and an early lunch. :) http://www.sanpedro.com/SPCOM/sanpedrotrolley.htm

I always arrive at San Pedro between 10AM and 10:30AM, and have always been able to drop off the luggage with a porter. Here's a tip: Don't enter the parking area right away. Circle around on the perimeter road and drop the luggage off in front of the terminal. Then enter the parking area. This is usually a good time to park, since the passengers from the previous cruise are leaving, and most of the passengers for your cruise haven't arrived yet. I'm usually able to park pretty close to the terminal building. One thing to be aware of, though, is that the parking charge runs on a strict 24 hour schedule. If you arrive at 10AM and leave 7 days later at 10:05AM, you will be charged for an extra day.

Edited by Jasperdo

Thanks, everyone! Any sense on how much time to allow for the trolley tour? We won't stop anywhere to eat, just down by the coast for strolling and pics.

Karyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, forgot to mention, relative to luggage drop off at 10 AM, that our boarding starts at 1 PM.

If you are referring to the "emergency" email, I think everyone who is sailing on Princess out of San Pedro gets this. We have back in 2010 and again in 2012, but we have arrived much earlier, and have never been told we're too early.

In all honesty, I don't think there's three hours worth of sightseeing in San Pedro.

There are several things you might consider in addition to the trolley ride and a visit to the USS Iowa. Very nearby is a small interesting Maritime Museum housed in the old San Pedro-Terminal Island Ferry landing. The trolley ride takes you as far as 22nd street, past Ports O'Call where there are short port boat rides available and ends near the sport fishing landings and in the vicinity of the last operating WW II Liberty ship.

There is not too much of interest in downtown San Pedro but it does hold historic interest to California history buffs who are interested in the development and demise of the fishing industry based here and the ethnic makeup of those that founded the fishing fleets.