Holland America vs. Princess for Alaska

keri2000

Hi all:

We are looking at the Amsterdam and Ruby ships on Holland America and Princess lines respectively with very similar itineraries, room sizes and comparable prices (vista suite @$1999/person, 292sqft vs. mini-suite @$2019/person, 323sqft). Based on experiences with both cruise lines, which one would you choose and why? No need to tell me to choose based on the better itinerary. The differences between the price and room size aren't important to me. I'm looking for which ship/cruise-line have better amenities on board (suite specials??)/food quality/bed quality/cleanliness/adult activites/etc. Why would you choose one over the other? The only significant difference right now is the onboard credit - Princess is offering $100 and Holland America is offering $300.

We don't have kids so related activities are unimportant.

Let me add that Royal Caribbean came in significantly higher in price (like $2500 more) so even though I loved cruising with them, I just couldn't justify the price difference.

Thanks!

Keri

Edited by keri2000
Added info about RC

Some thoughts when I went looking for a AK cruise...

• Do you buy pictures when on cruises? Do you buy a lot? Holland offers a AYCE photo packages.... don't think Princess does. This is a deciding factor for me to choose Holland.
  • When I went looking for a room for 3 people (sofa bed's/bunk bed's). Holland had slim selections. Princess seemed to offer much more.

Did you look under REVIEWS, specifically MEMBER REVIEWS for each ship?

It's all subjective ... what one person loves, another hates, but if you read enough reviews you'll often fine a comment that comes up repeatedly for a ship, ie lumpy bed, worn carpet, etc.

Hi all:

No need to tell me to choose based on the better itinerary.

Thanks!

Keri

I know that you say not to select based on itinerary but the bottom line is that for AK, that should be the determining factor. Decide on the basis of

1 - Itinerary

2 - Itinerary - duplication intentional

3 - Total time in each port

4 - Port arrival and departure times

5 - then ship related stuff

DON

I know that you say not to select based on itinerary but the bottom line is that for AK, that should be the determining factor. Decide on the basis of

1 - Itinerary

2 - Itinerary - duplication intentional

3 - Total time in each port

4 - Port arrival and departure times

5 - then ship related stuff

DON

I tend to agree. I want to know the itinerary first. Those who haven't been to Alaska may think they are similar but there could be huge differences that those of us who have been to Alaska can point out. For example - arriving at Juneau at 2 pm is not desirable. What month you are going and the glacier you are going to also makes a huge difference.

Beds are better on HAL. Activities are better on Princess.

I haven't been in a Vista Suite on HAL but usually sail on Mini Suites on Princess. A mini suite on Princess is not considered a suite and the only benefit (besides space) is a glass of champagne at sailaway. I would want a covered mini suite on Princess and those are only on Emerald Deck and may already be taken.

Food quality can always change but I would call it even. I prefer the buffet on HAL but others complain as a lot of it is made to order and people prefer the quickness of Princess's buffet. The times at Princess's buffet are better. The International Cafe at Princess is good and open 24 hours a day. The dining room food is probably similar in quality.

Like I said in my original post, the itineraries are nearly identical and both go to Glacier Bay. In fact the one I am looking at on HAL I did 5 years ago so I was strictly looking for a comparison between the two cruise lines since I have experienced HAL already and not Princess. I understand wanting to be in Juneau for a longer period of time because I got married there on my stop on the HAL cruise. Thank you for letting me know about the beds. That's appreciated.

I guess it is all subjective. I just wanted to ensure that one cruise line wasn't superior over the other. I'll throw a dart at the wall and see which one it lands on.

Traveled on both Vista Suite and mini suite to Alaska. Since they are junior suites, there are no suite amenities. I prefer the "feel" of Princess ships. Princess MDRs tend to have better service than HAL (IMHO). Do you prefer big ships or small ships? The Amsterdam is less than half the size of the Ruby.

Like I said in my original post, the itineraries are nearly identical and both go to Glacier Bay. In fact the one I am looking at on HAL I did 5 years ago so I was strictly looking for a comparison between the two cruise lines since I have experienced HAL already and not Princess. I understand wanting to be in Juneau for a longer period of time because I got married there on my stop on the HAL cruise. Thank you for letting me know about the beds. That's appreciated.

I guess it is all subjective. I just wanted to ensure that one cruise line wasn't superior over the other. I'll throw a dart at the wall and see which one it lands on.

Check to see if there is a substantial difference in public viewing areas. Even though you are going to book a balcony, you will still want to get out to the public areas for some of the sightseeing. Additionally, does one ship leave on a weekend and the other on a weekday? The weekday departure would give a slight edge in my consideration, as you may end up sharing the Alaska ports with fewer other ships.

I'm a little strange, but one of things I noticed with HAL in Alaska is they often get the "best" (closest) docking areas. Right downtown and the closest to whats in. Made it easy to walk up the gangplank to grab anything from the room or drop off purchases so we did not have to carry them around.

Not sure where Princess docks, but I know some ships end up far enough away from the towns the cruise line runs a shuttle, which is a pain.

I'm a little strange, but one of things I noticed with HAL in Alaska is they often get the "best" (closest) docking areas. Right downtown and the closest to whats in. Made it easy to walk up the gangplank to grab anything from the room or drop off purchases so we did not have to carry them around.

Perhaps... but on my Zuiderdam trip in Juneau 2013.... I was told to use the lifeboat as Juneau ran out of dock space. Wheelchair passengers were out of luck. Swimming was not an option.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=juneau+Zuiderdam+tender&tbm=isch

I wish we had the option of a plank on that trip. It was wet that day too.

Edited by xlxo

Not sure where Princess docks, but I know some ships end up far enough away from the towns the cruise line runs a shuttle, which is a pain.

Princess does dock farther out. The reason being is to "save energy". When they built those docks, they built them with a hookup to "Juneau's power and systems to save emissions". Pretty impressive! This is opposed to running their diesel engines the entire time in port.

http://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess-Ships-Clear-the-Air-with-Shore-Power-Connections.html#.VLYkeMb3-04

Honestly, unless one has a disability, the walk is not a big deal. And there are shuttles running constantly.

Edited by Coral

I prefer the smaller HAL ships with the teak wrap-around Promenade deck. They are easy to traverse, no being told "you can't get there from here". We would leisurely walk all the way around the ship, and HAL usually opens up the bow on Glacier viewing day. And serves hot chocolate and pea soup on the Promenade deck on Glacier viewing day.

The Ruby at over 113,000 gross tons carrying over 3,000 passengers is not the cruise ship for me.

The Amsterdam at 63,000 gross tons with 1,400 passengers is plenty big enough for me.

It's just whatever a person prefers. Only OP can decide which is the better offer for them.

Both Princess and HAL have been sailing in Alaska a long time and both have quite an infrastructure. The larger ships maybe why Princess has to dock farther away.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise. Alaska is an awesome destination.

Edited by agabbymama

Here's a link to see what ships are in each port for the upcoming season

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=318

Just checked our already booked 14 day collector on the Zaandam and was pleasantly surprised at our good fortune.

It also includes the Seattle and Vancouver ports to check departure and arrival traffic issues :)

Carla

Edited by Dobermangal

Both Princess and HAL have been sailing in Alaska a long time and both have quite an infrastructure. The larger ships maybe why Princess has to dock farther away.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise. Alaska is an awesome destination.

Actually - Princess docks farther away because they built new docks with power hookups so that they can run off of Juneau electricity as opposed to the ship's diesel when in port. Princess has equipped most of their ships (even their 90,000 tonn ships) to benefit from this. It helps the planet :)

Edited by Coral