Man Overboard Oasis - Picked up by Disney Magic

ryano

we were on the Oasis last month, when I first read the story I said no way did he get washed over. My first gut reaction is that I remember sitting on deck 5 aft watching the wake of the ship a bit daydreaming and the thought did cross my mind that this would be an easy place to 'jump ship' I hope the get the camera footage to get the real story!

If a "wave" can knock a passneger off a deck on the biggest ship in the world, I'm never stepped outside my cabin on a Carnival ship again :rolleyes:

While many are going to comment on him getting "knocked into the water", the issue that is being discussed and is actually quite scary is that they didn't know he went overboard. Maybe the ship holds too many people and they can't keep track of them? :confused:

At least it has reliable mechanical, and plumbing systems. I'm more concerned with that.

You can make a rather serviceable floating device from a pair of long pants. Take them off, zip them up, tie a knot near the ankles, grasp near the waist, take a deep breath, stick your head inside the waist band and exhale. Repeat. After a few minutes, you will have inflated your floating device. Put a leg under each arm. You may need to add air.

OR you could have the will to survie:eek:

An article was posted on Royal Caribbean's Facebook page about 8 hours ago today about the incident. I tried to copy & paste it here but unsuccessful in that effort. Search for Royal Caribbean's FB page & you'll see the article. In fact, that's how I found out about it & jumped over here to see what the scuttlebutt about it might be.

How? Where? I'm obviously doing something wrong but I don't see anything on their Facebook page about this.

IMO a potential law suit is undercut by the utter absurdity of the story. I HOPE the guy was still drunk when he came up with his story - I hate to think anybody is THAT stupid when sober. A rouge wave swept over the bow and nobody, including the bridge, noticed?:eek: Now that would be REALLY worrisome. This 22 year old kid should get in touch with his inner child - any 4 year old could come up with a more plausible story - heck, I think a chipmunk could come up with a better story.

Yeah, the story seems pretty absurd to experienced cruisers and to experienced boaters. and if it goes to court with that story with out video of the event, there is a very good chance the jury would see right through it. If there is also video refuting the tall wave tale, it should be even easier for the jury to see through it.

maybe by now he is better coached and will claim the rescuers or reporters or whoever hear that story misunderstood...translation and hypothermia...it will be interesting to see if the story evolves. Or maybe the family will have a better plan for this troubled man.

How in the heck did a passenger a) get to the bow, and b) happen to be carrying flares?????

My guess is when spotted, the crew of the Disney ship tossed a flare so they could ensure they could more readily spot him for the rescue. I doubt the passenger himself had and launched the flare.

IMO a potential law suit is undercut by the utter absurdity of the story. I HOPE the guy was still drunk when he came up with his story - I hate to think anybody is THAT stupid when sober. A rouge wave swept over the bow and nobody, including the bridge, noticed?:eek: Now that would be REALLY worrisome. This 22 year old kid should get in touch with his inner child - any 4 year old could come up with a more plausible story - heck, I think a chipmunk could come up with a better story.

Lol! Great post!

Other than the shear stupidity in his story, the fact local NOAA buoys show no such rogue wave activity in the area is going to factually disprove this fib.

How? Where? I'm obviously doing something wrong but I don't see anything on their Facebook page about this.

On the left hand side of the page there's a section called "posts to page". Click on that and it's in there (it's basically a link to the cruise Critic story).

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Y'all are the ones I want to cruise with!!! Not the posters who are sympathetic to this guy that had a death wish and then want to blame Royal Caribbean for not preventing it!
Have several cruises booked for this year, maybe I'll buy you an adult beverage in the CL.....:)...K.O.;)

We're on the Oasis now. The tels us the video clearly shows this guy jumped from deck 5. His family left the ship in Cozumel to meet him in the hospital.

It's been an interesting cruise. A near drowning and a return to Port Everglades, a helicopter evacuation from Labadee an now a guy jumps overboard.

Good luck to all of those affected by these incidents.

We were on this cruise too. Had know idea about this! The only weird thing that happened to my husband and myself is that we were walking on deck 5 when it was raining yesterday and we saw a bright flash right in front of and then a loud bang! Scared us to death to think we were that close to a lightening strike!

We were on this cruise too. Had know idea about this! The only weird thing that happened to my husband and myself is that we were walking on deck 5 when it was raining yesterday and we saw a bright flash right in front of and then a loud bang! Scared us to death to think we were that close to a lightening strike!

Couple things, so this guy jumped from deck 5 I wonder what the distance is from that deck to the water. Usually people have some sort of trauma after a fall or jump, when you hit the water it feels more like concrete and doesn't cushion if you land the wrong way.

Also, please look for not only a health questionnaire when boarding but some sort of psychological test or quiz to determine if you are fit to cruise at some point in the future.

If a "wave" can knock a passneger off a deck on the biggest ship in the world, I'm never stepped outside my cabin on a Carnival ship again :rolleyes:

While many are going to comment on him getting "knocked into the water", the issue that is being discussed and is actually quite scary is that they didn't know he went overboard. Maybe the ship holds too many people and they can't keep track of them? :confused:

Are you serious?? Do we need to assign a crew member to each passenger to keep track of them?:confused: How about they post guards along each railing? Better yet, get rid of open balcony cabins and exterior promenades to prevent one nutcase a year from jumping off a ship.

Simple solution: Don't climb over the railing and jump into the water. And people complain there aren't enough "ocean views" on the Oasis class of ships.

We're on the Oasis now. The tels us the video clearly shows this guy jumped from deck 5. His family left the ship in Cozumel to meet him in the hospital.

It's been an interesting cruise. A near drowning and a return to Port Everglades, a helicopter evacuation from Labadee an now a guy jumps overboard.

Good luck to all of those affected by these incidents.

On one cruise??? Holy crap!

If transmitters were distributed can you imagine all the false alarms when people through them overboard?

Maybe if they are a bit crazy or drunk?

Or maybe so they could ask for compensation when the ship is delayed (and compensation for mental anguish suffered by family while family worried they went overboard)? "I was just minding my own business on deck; I didn't even notice the tracker flying off into the wind. then while I had an extended sit in a public restroom stall, crew went and scared my family." Actually, my made up story sounds more believable than the "swept off Oasis by a wave"

First, a wave that large would have caused other issues on the ship. This would have had to have been a very LARGE wave (rogue).

Secondly, passengers do not fall off of cruise ships. More than likely they are doing something they shouldn't be or they are intoxicated.

The only part of the story I believe is that he did fall off of a ship.

Edited by Esmerelda