Which line is best for solo cruisers - price wise?

cpayne

We are avid cruisers and looking to plan a cruise with a group of friends. Most are married couples, but there will be 2 solos w/ us. 1 male and 1 female and prefer their own cabins. Price wise which is our best option as a general rule OR does it all depend?

I know NCL offers the studio cabins on Breakaway, Getaway, Epic and POA. Breakaway is out b/c we do not want to sail from NYC. POA is out b/c we don't want a Hawaiin itinerary.

What is the studio lounge that access comes with for the studio cabins?

Appreciate any input on pricing. Not worried about them traveling "solo" as we will be with a big group. Just want to be price conscious for everyone's budget especially since they'll likely have to pay more.

Thanks.

I think a cruise which appeals to a group of couples and a cruise which has the absolute cheapest solo rates is pretty much mutually exclusive. You're going to have to pick a cruise which appeals to everyone and bite the bullet on price. That's what happens to me traveling with dance groups.

The studios are unlikely to be your cheapest option. There's no single supplement listed because it's already built into the price.

Single supplements vary wildly, depending whether the cruise line is trying to get rid of unsold cabins. Another factor can be a lot of children- they are usually 3rd & 4th occupancy, which means lifeboat capacity is being reached before cabin capacity. All sorts of other reasons, or no discernible reason at all.

Be very cautious when people start quoting percentages- which costs more, 125% of $3000 or 200% of $900 (actual examples, and the $900 dollar ship I actually liked more).

Single supplements vary wildly, depending whether the cruise line is trying to get rid of unsold cabins. Another factor can be a lot of children- they are usually 3rd & 4th occupancy, which means lifeboat capacity is being reached before cabin capacity. All sorts of other reasons, or no discernible reason at all.

Be very cautious when people start quoting percentages- which costs more, 125% of $3000 or 200% of $900 (actual examples, and the $900 dollar ship I actually liked more).

Sorry for the silly question, but.....lots of kids = lifeboat capacity being reached. That makes sense. Does this tend to lead towards better discounts for solo cruisers or more expensive? I would assume better discounts?

The supplement will vary widely, not just based on cruise line, but also on the specific voyage -- often those that are very popular will have higher supplements (but not necessarily higher prices - that depends on the ship and the voyage). It can also vary on when the passage is booked - which relates to how crowded and popular that voyage is. Even on the same ship (my last voyage on Crystal), there was a difference in single supplements paid by solos on board for the same cabin category, apparently based on when the trip was booked.

Are you interested in the lowest price, or the best value for a given budget?

Trying to find the best value for everyone. Trying to be mindful that everyone in our group comes from different financial statuses as well. I want it to be "fair" for everyone and likely going to be difficult to accomplish.

Are you looking at Galveston sailings, or willing to travel further? Between Carnival and RCCL, I think it's a matter of personal preference and the luck of the draw, what's on offer. Disney, I don't know.

I think putting together a group like this is a situation that calls for a good travel agent. Finding one isn't easy. I'd suggest a good question to ask is have they actually traveled on the ship they're recommending.

I agree about finding a good Travel Agent. It sounds as if you are planning a cruise for folks in different budgets.

What if one person is ok spending xx amount? But someone else is not ok with that same amount?

Not sure how it will work out:eek:......maybe a good "CRUISE TA" can give

you some information.

As for what is the "best line"? There is not 1 best line.....everyone has

their own preferences. I have read lots of threads on here over the years.

Some folks sail with NCL, others sail with Royal, others sail with Carnival,

others sail with .....etc....etc...etc.......I sail with Celebrity and have

for many years. I have friends who sail with Royal Caribbean.....

There are lot of cruiselines to choose from. Good luck in your search:)

Edited by Lois R

I've thought of this question myself (I'm the solo) since two couples (all BFFs) are currently on a a Tauck cruise tour in Australia. When I'm retired, I'd love to travel with them, but that tour is $15,000 pp, so double is out of the question. I'd say that the easiest option is NCL Getaway or Epic, a Breakaway or New ship. Sometimes, you can find a great cruise with a low supplement, but I'm guessing I'll have to pick the cruise and get others to join....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just do some dummy bookings and you will find out very quickly how they all work.

Most times its double as a rule.

Some cruiselines have more/better single supplements such as Carnival for certain sailings and times, not all the time.

I use RC, and I have paid 200% and more for a single cabin.

If it comes down to budget, then that will make the decision easier.

Edited by monctonguy

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked an 11 night cruise on the Norwegian Epic. Single occupancy, balcony cabin... $750 inc taxes (after credit).

I'm feeling pretty excited about my first solo cruise right now!

As a comparison, the Allure of the Seas sailing the same day, with an almost identical itinerary is $1400 for an the cheapest ocean view. Insides are going for $2198-3078.

• 1 month later...

Depending on the size of your "large party" and the extent of the friendship, perhaps you could ask the couples to subsidize a bit to make up some of the overage? If you have six couples and each person kicks in an extra $50 so it's quite not as financially painful for the singles, that would help a great deal.

I wouldn't give a second thought to kicking in a bit more for single family members or good friends I really wanted along for the trip. But only you know the dynamics of the relationships and financial status of the participants and whether that's a topic worth raising.