Never again on Celebrity

superdee

Pits happen!

I've been enjoying this thread from the beginning but until now I had not noticed one crucial aspect of OPs story: pits is an anagram of "spit". No wonder they are spitting mad.

BTW, I lost a crown and broke a tooth chewing on a tender piece of chicken on a transatlantic flight 10-15 years ago. I never even thought about getting compensation from the airline. Silly me.

When I look at the description [recipe] for bread I see no mention of a stone, so it is a foreign object.

When I look at the description of a Cherry, I see a seed [pit] so it's not a foreign object.

If fruit with seeds are not fit for human consumption a lot of produce stores [or wherever you buy your fruit] must be in big trouble.

Indeed.

I just want to say as a fellow Canadian, also not living too far from you, that I would like the name of your dentist.

I have just finished a root canal and the price was $ 1 ,000 for that molar??

Just don't know how you got such a deal unless it was your cousin!

When I look at the description [recipe] for bread I see no mention of a stone, so it is a foreign object.

When I look at the description of a Cherry, I see a seed [pit] so it's not a foreign object.

If fruit with seeds are not fit for human consumption a lot of produce stores [or wherever you buy your fruit] must be in big trouble.

You may be aware that grain such as wheat is grown in fields. of dirt. often with stones. That is how stones occasionally come to be in wheat, or dried legumes, or bread. That doesn't mean it belongs in my food or that it cannot injure me if it appears. The same is true of seeds, pits, bones, etc. If I am served a turkey burger and end up injuring myself on a bone, the person who prepared and served the burger has some responsibility to make me whole, since I had the reasonable expectation that there would be no bones in the burger. That is true even though bones are an intrinsic part of turkeys. Likewise with the cherry. If the cherry is reasonably expected to be pit-free, and then I break my tooth on the cherry, there is reason to think I should be made whole.

Naturally, depending on the details and circumstances, a company may or may not acknowledge responsibility, especially upon first contact. That doesn't mean they are or are not responsible. In my case with the bread company, they were responsive initially but then went into a long hibernation, at which time I considered seeking legal representation. In the end, that was not necessary.

Would I be more forceful with a lawyer if I were served food on a cruise ship that injured me? It depends on the circumstances.

You may be aware that grain such as wheat is grown in fields. of dirt. often with stones. That is how stones occasionally come to be in wheat, or dried legumes, or bread. That doesn't mean it belongs in my food or that it cannot injure me if it appears. The same is true of seeds, pits, bones, etc. If I am served a turkey burger and end up injuring myself on a bone, the person who prepared and served the burger has some responsibility to make me whole, since I had the reasonable expectation that there would be no bones in the burger. That is true even though bones are an intrinsic part of turkeys. Likewise with the cherry. If the cherry is reasonably expected to be pit-free, and then I break my tooth on the cherry, there is reason to think I should be made whole.

According to http://www.lawqa.com/qa/is-broken-teeth-grounds-for-lawsuit "Too complicated to explain, but I will give you an example: Cherry pie. Bite into a piece and break your tooth on a cherry pit. Pits are in cherries, so there is no foreign object, and so no case. However, bite into the pie and break your tooth on a rock. Definitely a foreign object and so there would be a case. If what broke your tooth was a piece of bone, perhaps no case."

Here's an interesting read: http://www.eater.com/2014/12/4/7333083/chick-fil-a-milkshake-caused-heart-attack-lawsuit

I just want to say as a fellow Canadian, also not living too far from you, that I would like the name of your dentist.

I have just finished a root canal and the price was $ 1 ,000 for that molar??

Just don't know how you got such a deal unless it was your cousin!

In August I paid $750 for two root canals and two crowns. Had it done in Algodennes Mexico. Just about everyone I know, without dental insurance, goes there. In the past, I've had four root canals, and crowns, in the U.S. And the quality of the work was identical. It was also painless. Root canals were done one day and the crowns were put on the next day. The only difference being is, when you walk into the office, it's like you time traveled back to the 60s.

I'm sure you have heard, or could find horror stories, but if you read Cruise Critic, you can find them about cruises also. It might not work for everyone, but it sure works for us people on a fixed income with no dental insurance.

In August I paid $750 for two root canals and two crowns. Had it done in Algodennes Mexico. Just about everyone I know, without dental insurance, goes there. In the past, I've had four root canals, and crowns, in the U.S. And the quality of the work was identical. It was also painless. Root canals were done one day and the crowns were put on the next day. The only difference being is, when you walk into the office, it's like you time traveled back to the 60s.

I'm sure you have heard, or could find horror stories, but if you read Cruise Critic, you can find them about cruises also. It might not work for everyone, but it sure works for us people on a fixed income with no dental insurance.

I had bone grafts and 4 implants done in Costa Rica for a fraction of what it would cost in Canada. My dentist was impressed and all materials used were the same as his. My surgeon in CR sent post Xrays to my dentist and follows up with me by email. I guess my experience was a bit different as the office was very modern in CR. It should be noted that we consider CR our second home and we love this small country.

Edited by Christine Frances

I saw this on Judge Judy once. Guy was suing a restaurant because he cut himself/broke a tooth/something on a piece of crab shell in a crab salad/sandwich. She kept repeating to him, "are you sure it was a crab shell? It wasn't a rock or a piece of metal?" "no, no it was definitely a crab shell".

He lost the case for the same reasons as above - it's naturally occurring, not a foreign object, so there is no responsibility.

I just went to look...on our jar of maraschino cherries in the fridge, and on a jar of olives we have, both say something like "cherries contain pits, please be careful".

Edited by warmwinds

Well I finally heard from Celebrity about my broken and cracked tooth that I got on a Cherry pit in the Opus dining Room. They said they were sorry and sad about it but not as much as me as I am on the hook for $ 700.00 for the tooth repair and the root canal. We sailed the Reflection Dec 6-13 and I will never sail on Celebrity again as the overall experience sucked compared to HAL. The Reflection is a nice ship but the food is sub par and seems that they try to dollar you to death and force you to go to all the specialty resturants. The chair hogs and people stuffing their face sin the buffet lines are a big disappointment and the fact that nobody enforces the chair hog rules. The lawn area at the top is basically for the rich and famous as who the hell wants to pay $ 150.00 for a frigging cabana a day. I really liked the idea of the lawn but really hated the stench of cigar smoke and it seemed always roped off. The Reflection's poor quality of food, overall money grab and the missing little things the HAL provides turned me completely off and come hell or high water I will never sail with Royal or Celebrity again.

You have insurance,right?? Submit the bill to them. I think you should be covered. It's understandable that you're upset, but with people trying to defraud(watch staged slips & falls in Vegas on Youtube!)Considering the last root canal cost me well over what you're paying, I think it's not a bad price. Don't understand the rant about the lawn club. Noones forcing you to rent a cabana, so lighten up a bit!I've always heard the food onHAL is ok, but no where near as good as Cunard or Celebrity(unless you book the Pinnacle Grill)As to smoking, I find that HAL has many more smokers, with the exception of European cruiselines.Even there, though they are cutting back on smokers ability.