Officer's Cocktail Party

hessczoo

Hi,

I will be sailing on NCL Epic on Jan 25 in a Haven Suite. I see that Haven guests get a cocktail party with the ship officers. I know NCL offers freestyle cruising but what would acceptable attire be at this function? On other nights would it be out of place to wear suit and tie?

Thanks!

Wear whatever you want.

We do not dress up for it, whatever we are wearing is it.

And if you want to wear a suit & tie, feel free to, everyone wears every imaginative thing, and you would not look out of place in a suit & tie.

It part of Freestyle. :)

We don't do suits or super dressy for anything. Only exception was Chef's Table when DH wore a "fancy" Hawaiian shirt and I wore a silk embroidered pant/shirt combo. You will see all types of dress but if you want a photo of you with the Captain you might want to be a little more dressed up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always attend the Captains VIP party when we are invited. Everyone is always dressed up. It is usually the first sea day or 2nd night of your cruise. We love it.... free drinks and a chance to hang with the officers.

This statement is patently untrue.

We also always attend the VIP party, and are usually in whatever we were already wearing... I've walked the greeting line wearing shorts, sandals & a t-shirt....and I've also done it in jeans & a sports-shirt.

Certainly far from dressed-up.

Stephen

We also always attend the VIP party, and are usually in whatever we were already wearing... I've walked the greeting line wearing shorts, sandals & a t-shirt....and I've also done it in jeans & a sports-shirt.

Stephen

This is 100% the correct answer!! The only ones we ever notice "dressed up" are those going for formal photo's. The Captain and officers are fine with shorts and a tee shirt and so am I. If you wear a suit and tie you will be a very small minority. For all the functions including the VIP parties any casual attire is fine. I might go with dockers and a polo shirt for "dress up".

Stephen

It was just my opinion and statement. I was trying to help the OP based on my experience. On my last cruise, every single person was dressed up. Many men were even in jackets. The party was given on the "dress up or not" night. On the invitation it stated that pictures were going to be taken with the captain.

It was just my opinion and statement. I was trying to help the OP based on my experience. On my last cruise, every single person was dressed up. Many men were even in jackets. The party was given on the "dress up or not" night. On the invitation it stated that pictures were going to be taken with the captain.

And pictures with the Captain were taken as we all entered. He didn't care what any of us were wearing. Three weeks ago there was not a single sports coat/jacket worn by anyone there except the officers. Any clothes allowed on the ship were fine. Our invitation said resort casual.

We were also on the Star, a smaller ship, less Haven cabins.

Maybe that's also why all of the passengers at our captains party are dressed up. NOT Black Tie, just dressed up and yes, 2 men were wearing sports coats.

Just wanted to state the facts that I witnessed to help OP with the question.

Hope to see you all sometime at a captains party!! cheers!

We were also on the Star, a smaller ship, less Haven cabins.

Maybe that's also why all of the passengers at our captains party are dressed up. NOT Black Tie, just dressed up and yes, 2 men were wearing sports coats.

Just wanted to state the facts that I witnessed to help OP with the question.

Hope to see you all sometime at a captains party!! cheers!

I say this without animosity:

If all you wanted was the "state the facts that I witnessed" which included that "2 men were wearing sports coats", then the language you actually used... "EVERYONE is ALWAYS dressed up" seems like hyperbole, and may leave some newcomers to believe they MUST dress up....when in fact there's absolutely no requirement for them to do so.

Stephen

We always attend the Captains VIP party when we are invited. Everyone is always dressed up. It is usually the first sea day or 2nd night of your cruise. We love it.... free drinks and a chance to hang with the officers.

Our party of four had a similar experience attending the Captains reception on a recent cruise. Most of the people attending were in fact 'dressed up'. I don't really care what other people wear but I prefer to know what the norm is for certain situations & since that is what the original poster was asking that's what I am stating; my personal experience.

It's definitely a personal choice; and my option would always be too dressy as opposed to too casual. JMHO.

Cheers

Sandy

Hi,

I will be sailing on NCL Epic on Jan 25 in a Haven Suite. I see that Haven guests get a cocktail party with the ship officers. I know NCL offers freestyle cruising but what would acceptable attire be at this function? On other nights would it be out of place to wear suit and tie?

Thanks!

Hi! We will be sailing with you - also in a Haven Suite. We have done this cruise before.

As stated, I think you will see a bit of everything so wear what makes you comfortable. My husband refuses to take a suit and tie on vacation, thus the the appreciation for freestyle cruising. We have attended the cocktail party in the past and I usually wear white or black jeans with a nice top and my husband wears nice jeans with a polo or dress shirt and "maybe" a casual blazer but we never feel out of place or uncomfortable.

The staff is great, they come around and talk with everyone, ask you how you are enjoying your cruise and make general small talk. By then you will have gotten to meet or know some of the Epic Club staff who work the cocktail party so they will take good care of you.

Have fun - just enjoy the trip in whatever way you like!! :)

My personal experience is that my husband and our friends (2 guys) wore jeans and t-shirts. I the lone female in this group of 4 wore black slacks and a tshirt I bought the day before that had the name of the port splashed on it.

For some reason the Captain spent quite a lot of time with us and we all had a blast. Don't sweat over what to wear, the officers are interested in the person not the clothes on the hanger.