Flying Into Newark

Beaferd

After looking at the other locations my concern with them would be getting us and all our luggage to them on our own. This would not be do able without outside help. Not sure if the other hotels offer airport pick up. We are locked into flying into Newark as we had a great price and have purchased out tickets.

Thanks Meg! My bad. You are the Marriott property expert at EWR! Some other poster mentioned they were staying at the Hampton and you could walk to the "R" hotel next door.

Anyway it looks like the two properties are close, but....actually walking between the two might be tricky. Perhaps someone has done this.

No worries... :)

Marriott keeps adding more brands too...making me have migraines....

We are on the Quantum on Feb 2nd. I prepaid Hampton in Elizabeth before I realized that I might be better closer to restaurants. My question would be what is the best way to get to the port. Should we just get a taxi from the hotel or go back to the airport in the morning and take some other transportation to get there. Thanks.

I would try calling Independent Driver...the number is all over here.... you can get the hotel to call you a cab/car service as well....though there's a probability that they're getting a kickback from the company they call....

You're looking at a $50-ish dollar ride each way, and going back to the airport will not save you any money..

You can always call in for food, there are lots of delivery places around....SOME hotel shuttles may also be willing to run you over to the outlet mall...there's a decent food court and a couple other places to eat too.

Beaferd - If managing luggage is a concern, you need to understand how Newark Airport works. To get a hotel shuttle you must take your luggage from baggage claim on the lowest level via escalator or elevator to the highest level to catch the Airtrain to the P4 station which is the pickup point for all hotel shuttles. It is my understanding that you can take luggage carts on the Airtrain, but must use the elevator, not the escalators.

However, if you book private transportation like Independent Driver for 5 people, I believe they can pick you up at the terminal. I seem to remember getting picked up on the baggage level, but perhaps others can comment on this.

All the "airport" hotels offer shuttles, but you do have to get yourself to them. One time with my mother our car was parked at what is now the Doubletree. There was no way I coud get my mom and all our luggage to P4, so I just went out to the cab stand and we took a cab over to the hotel.

This is one reason I've suggested you consider not staying at an airport property and spending the money to go to an off site hotel that would be a better fit for your current plans of sightseeing for one day and hanging out for one day.

Edited by 138east

If managing luggage is a concern, you need to understand how Newark Airport works. To get a hotel shuttle you must take your luggage from baggage claim on the lowest level via escalator or elevator to the highest level to catch the Airtrain to the P4 station which is the pickup point for all hotel shuttles. It is my understanding that you can take luggage carts on the Airtrain, but must use the elevator, not the escalators.

However, if you book private transportation like Independent Driver for 5 people, I believe they can pick you up at the terminal. I seem to remember getting picked up on the baggage level, but perhaps others can comment on this.

I think you're right about private shuttles picking up at terminals...

As for carts on the monorail, I think it depends on the moods of the red-coated guide people....I've seen them allowed and I have witnessed people being told that they can't take them. Might depend on time of day, and how busy the monorail is....

Per the Port Authority's guide to the AirTrain luggage carts are permitted. You can't take them on escalators.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/Travel-Guide-AirTrainNewark.pdf

What can passengers bring on AirTrain?

A: Baggage, luggage carts including the airport’s Smarte

Cartes, baby strollers, service animals as well as pets in

secure carriers are permitted. Smarte Cartes are not

permitted on escalators.

Per the Port Authority's guide to the AirTrain luggage carts are permitted. You can't take them on escalators.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/Travel-Guide-AirTrainNewark.pdf

What can passengers bring on AirTrain?

A: Baggage, luggage carts including the airport’s Smarte

Cartes, baby strollers, service animals as well as pets in

secure carriers are permitted. Smarte Cartes are not

permitted on escalators.

good to know...

what are the odds that info has been communicated to employees? 😳😊

Sent from my iPad