Last minute cruise

tommy1984

Hey guys and gals..

My wife and I have never been on a cruise before or on a vacation without our 4 and 7 year on at all, so I was planing a cruise for our 10 year anniversary for just the 2 of us.

Well yesterday the news got sprang on us that we are expecting out 3rd child so now I'm in a rush to do this cruise thing before she gets to far along.. Im talking soon, like int he next month..

So I have a couple questions Im hoping you all could help me with.

1. do we HAVE to have our passports to take a Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas and get off and enjoy an excursion?

2. Is there a place where we can search for deals for last minute cruises where they are trying to fill the rooms at a discount?

3. I assume meals and water is included with the cruise with alcohol and specialty restaurants costing extra right? so should we bring cash for this or will it be added to what ever CC we use to pay for the cruise?

If there is anything else you can think to add PLEASE feel free to fill us in, I just want to give her a nice little vacation without tugging around the kids and this is our last chance for several years to come.

Thank you.

Edited by tommy1984

Hey guys and gals..

My wife and I have never been on a cruise before or on a vacation with our 4 and 7 year on at all, so I was planing a cruise for our 10 year anniversary for just the 2 of us.

Well yesterday the news got sprang on us that we are expecting out 3rd child so now I'm in a rush to do this cruise thing before she gets to far along.. Im talking soon, like int he next month..

1. do we HAVE to have out passports to take a Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas and get off and enjoy an excursion? You do NOT have to have it. People generally STRONGLY recommend it. The reason being is anything were to happen and you need to leave the cruise for any unforseen emergency, you have your passport ready to fly. That said, a photo ID and birth certificate is enough to do a cruise that originates, and finishes in the US (also known as a closed loop cruise)

2. Is there a place where we can search for deals for last minute cruises where they are trying to fill the rooms at a discount? I've never tried it, but there is a certain vacation to go site that apparently does just that. I on the other hand have never been lucky enough to just be able to pick up and go last minute. I always have to plan in advance due to work schedules.

3. I assume meals and water is included with the cruise with alcohol and specialty restaurants costing extra right? so should we bring cash for this or will it be added to what ever CC we use to pay for the cruise? You are correct, meals and water are included as are iced tea, lemonade, and regular drip coffee. There is an onboard account that is made when you cruise. You can back the account up with cash, or a credit card. They will then take money from that account if you were to spend on anything while aboard the ship (alcohol, premium restaurant, soft drinks etc).

If there is anything else you can think to add PLEASE feel free to fill us in, I just want to give her a nice little vacation without tugging around the kids and this is our last chance for several years to come.

Thank you.

Do not forget that gratuities will also be added to your account. Generally in the ballpark of $12 per person per day of the cruise. The money is distributed to people that work the ship. Also, if you plan on doing any excursions, you will want to set some money aside for that.

Edited by CAnative1

Hey guys and gals..

My wife and I have never been on a cruise before or on a vacation with our 4 and 7 year on at all, so I was planing a cruise for our 10 year anniversary for just the 2 of us.

1. do we HAVE to have our passports to take a Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas and get off and enjoy an excursion? You're going to get some pretty opinionate answers to this one, but the minimum requirement for US citizens on a closed-loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) is a birth certificate and (for those 16 and over) a government issued photo ID. Unless your cruiseline is one of the ones that requires passports for everyone.

2. Is there a place where we can search for deals for last minute cruises where they are trying to fill the rooms at a discount? My only suggestion is that you need to monitor each cruiseline website and see if they make any offers. Some cruiselines you can sign up for special offer notifications.

3. I assume meals and water is included with the cruise with alcohol and specialty restaurants costing extra right? so should we bring cash for this or will it be added to what ever CC we use to pay for the cruise?Meals in the main dining room and (tap) water are included usually. Bottled water typically must be purchased. Everything onboard is charged to your onboard account via your room card.

Thank you.

My responses in red.

1. You can cruise on a closed loop cruise (starts and ends in the US) IF you have your birth certificates and driver's licenses with you BUT with your wife being pregnant, if there were an emergency and you had to leave the ship in say, Jamaica or some other non-US Caribbean island to go to the hospital and could not board your ship before it departs, then you would be faced with the additional problem of needing to get passports before you could re-enter the USA. It is possible to get a passport fast in the USA before your cruise by using a passport expeditor service. This is just my opinion, but I would NEVER leave the USA on a cruise without my passport.

2. Google cheap last minute cruises and all sorts of online travel agencies will come up with lists of cruises. My advice is to choose a newer ship. Newer ship = more amenities, younger passengers, more restaurants, nicer cabins, more things to do onboard. Pick a ship that is more than 1 year old, but less than 5 years old. The largest and most elaborate ships in the world right now are:

RCCL:

Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, Quantum of the Seas

NCL:

Epic, Getaway, Breakaway

Look for deals that include free stuff like this:

Free beverage packages

Free onboard credit

Free specialty dining packages

or all 3 of the above - which is what NCL is doing right now. In fact, all the major cruise lines are running sales right now and sometimes their prices are better than travel agency prices.

3. Meals, water, tea, coffee and lemonade and sometime punch are included. Alcohol, ship boutique purchases and specialty dining is added to your credit card which is tied to your cruise card when you check in prior to embarking on your cruise unless you have bought a dining package before boarding or have received a drinks or dining package. You can see your cruise charges on your cabin's TV - kind of like staying in a hotel.

Hey guys and gals..

My wife and I have never been on a cruise before or on a vacation without our 4 and 7 year on at all, so I was planing a cruise for our 10 year anniversary for just the 2 of us.

1. do we HAVE to have our passports to take a Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas and get off and enjoy an excursion?

2. Is there a place where we can search for deals for last minute cruises where they are trying to fill the rooms at a discount?

3. I assume meals and water is included with the cruise with alcohol and specialty restaurants costing extra right? so should we bring cash for this or will it be added to what ever CC we use to pay for the cruise?

Thank you.

Royal Caribbean has specials each week.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Cruise Critic has special deals and last minute specials.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains/?src=nav

http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains/lastminute.cfm?src=nav

There are other websites you can search for last minute travel deals.

What has been said is great advice but I'd like to add the following. Airfare is usually the biggest cost when traveling from up north to Florida Ports. As Miami and Ft Lauderdale Ports are relatively close by you may want to check airfares first to both Ft Lauderdale (FLL) and Miami (MIA) Airports from your nearby airports. As there are tons of cruises out of both ports you may want to roll the dice on purchasing your airfare first making sure you arrive at least 1 day prior and return 1 day after your cruise ends to avoid any potential travel or cruise issues.

Most close by hotels to the airports offer free shuttles to the port or you can take a cab. I've had no problems returning to either the hotel or airport from the cruise port as there are numerous shuttles and taxis available.

As far as a cheap cruise fare it has been already mentioned on using the 90 day ticker on one of the sites, but Carnivals site offers Pack & Go rates and guarantee cabin rates. You may not get to pick the location of your cabin but they are the best prices and sometime they will upgrade you as well. Go for at least an oceanview or balcony as well They cost more but for your first cruise it's the only way to go.

Thanks every one.. another question we have is about interned access on ships.

Is there a place like a internet coffee shop or something where we can connect to wifi and is there a fee for this?

Most cruise lines offer Internet access packages ( amount of minutes or hours used) and some even have business centers where you can use your own laptop

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

One of the reasons no specific cruise booking agency is listed (sort of because there is one in an earlier post that may vanish) is because Cruise Critic has rules and the posting of any and all agencies is a big no no. You should find a local travel agent if possible.

You are seeking a cruise during the Spring Break season. Prices are high and ships are sailing at capacity or nearly so. The same seasonal effect is felt on air line prices.

The general rule for first time cruisers is low and mid. That translates to a lower deck and as close to midships as possible. Inside cabins are the least expensive but are also not for everyone. If daylight is important to you then seek an oceanview or balcony cabin.

During winter months you will find more recommendations for flying in the day before the cruise. Due to government regulations you MUST be on board 90 minutes before the ship sails.

And follow the recommendations for your homeward bound flight. Just because a ship docks at 6 doesn't mean you can disembark then. A cruise to the Bahamas can dock at any east coast dock in Florida. Fort Lauderdale is a fifteen minute ride to the pier in traffic but Orlando is 45 minutes minimum. So if docking in MIA or FLL book a flight after 11 but book a flight from MCO no earlier than 1. This will be argued but it does offer a small cushion.

On a closed loop cruise, as explained, you do not need a passport. If you have a photo id and you names match then double check the requirements of the cruise line.

I hope this works out for you'll and you can have a nice celebration on your first cruise.

The cruises have both an internet cafe & wifi so you can use your own devices. Connections & speeds are VERY SLOW & they are expensive. I think the big package on my line of choice works out to about $0.40 per minute. You can't stream movies or Skype. There are internet cafes in ports which are cheaper. The connections are fine for keeping in touch back home but not for extended OL sessions.

The cruises have both an internet cafe & wifi so you can use your own devices. Connections & speeds are VERY SLOW & they are expensive. I think the big package on my line of choice works out to about $0.40 per minute. You can't stream movies or Skype. There are internet cafes in ports which are cheaper. The connections are fine for keeping in touch back home but not for extended OL sessions.

Do be careful about wireless in "Internet cafes" for all of the obvious reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey guys and gals..

1. do we HAVE to have our passports to take a Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas and get off and enjoy an excursion? for a closed loop cruise, no. still a smart idea to have them

2. Is there a place where we can search for deals for last minute cruises where they are trying to fill the rooms at a discount? a TA or online website

3. I assume meals and water is included with the cruise with alcohol and specialty restaurants costing extra right? so should we bring cash for this or will it be added to what ever CC we use to pay for the cruise? charges aboard must be guaranteed somehow.. most people use a CC and if they want, pay cash on the last night to lower the amount charged. with the exception of Disney, soda is also extra cost as are many other items such as spa treatments and specialty coffee

Thank you.

if you need to fly to a cruise port that will cost mega bucks as well, especially if you are looking sail SOON. as in it may cost MORE than the cruise to fly on short notice.

OP is in Kentucky - they could drive down - it's just 15 hours from Louisville to Fort Lauderdale, 13 hours to Cocoa Beach or Tampa. Round trip airfare to FLL from $375.

Just 15 hrs? At only $375 air, seems like an easy choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks every one.. another question we have is about interned access on ships.

Is there a place like a internet coffee shop or something where we can connect to wifi and is there a fee for this?

We cruised RCI Liberty of the Seas last November and for a 5-night Caribbean Cruise, for 2 devices unlimited wifi throughout the ship is $130 total. There is instruction in cabin and you can connect directly from your smart devices. Speed is OK to good. Skype call is doable but may drop off sometimes and have to re-connect back.

Hey guys and gals..

Whether you intend to stay on board or not has no bearing on whether you need a passport. Once you figure out which cruise line you're going on, you can check with your TA or booking agent to ask if they have specific requirements (in addition to what's required by the US passport office). As others have said, if you need to fly out from a foreign port, you will need a passport.

Here's where having a TA (not necessarily these online websites) can help. A good one who will keep an eye out for you. And since this is your first cruise, you may find it nice to have someone to go to if any problems come up -- and those websites with the friendly looking operator who can book your cruise, well, that person may have never been on a cruise or even seen the ocean.

And if you can whittle down which cruise lines, you can get on their last minute cruising email list, as pointed out by others here.

When you are checking in, you'll need to present a credit card to have your onboard expenses charged to. They try to have a cashless system on board. If you're sticking with water and whatever else they serve with meals, you won't be charged extra. You also can do without specialty restaurants if you're saving for items for the little one. All meals in the main dining room, buffet meals or snacks, and some other venues on board will be included in your fare. About the only extra expense not included in your fare (once you are on board and not planning to spend money in the ports) are the gratuities. Again, those will be added to your account or will be prepaid, depending on the cruise line.

Thank you.

OP is in Kentucky - they could drive down - it's just 15 hours from Louisville to Fort Lauderdale, 13 hours to Cocoa Beach or Tampa. Round trip airfare to FLL from $375.

That may be an awfully long drive (even with many breaks) for a pregnant woman.

When I went on my preggers cruise, I was about four months along. Generally the deadline is about 24 weeks, again, depending on the line. The second trimester is the easiest time for many pregnant women to travel -- you're not suffering from morning sickness, you're past the time for most miscarriages, your bladder is more cooperative than in the first or third.

So if you can find some decent air fares (that would be the problematic part) and go in at least a day ahead too, it's very doable. But again, don't feel you need to go ASAP as you may have some time.