Bringing Flowers Onboard

LzyCruiser_NWA

I know that taking flowers OFF the ship is a no no but is it possible to buy some flowers before boarding?

We're cruising this march for from san juan and I wanted to get some flowers to celebrate wife's birthday.

Does anyone know if there are any flower stand/shop near the pan american pier where the Summit is departing from?

I've always been able to bring fresh cut flowers on board (including my Baltic cruise last August on the Connie). We requested a vase from our cabin attendant and it was brought to us quickly.

Sorry, not recommendation for a flower shop near the pier.

No problem bringing flowers on board. There is absolutely nothing by the pier except for the liquor store inside the pier. I do not recall them selling flowers there, but I am not positive, perhaps someone else knows. You can pre-order to your room from the ship, but that is pretty expensive I imagine. Your best bet is to try to find some near your hotel if you are staying over the night before. Alternately, you could ask your cab driver to stop on the way from the airport although waiting time could make that as expensive as ordering on the ship I am guessing.

Absolutely no problem bring flowers on board. In fact, when we boarded on our latest cruise, the Assistant Head Housekeeper took the flowers we brought on board to the florist to arrange in two vases. He did a beautiful job. Towards the end of the cruise, when they were starting to drop, we came back one day to find that the remaining flowers had been arranged in a single vase and, from appearances, it looked like they had been returned to the florist to be arranged again.

I am not saying that your flowers will always be arranged by the on board florist - it had never happened to us before - but clearly an officer was quite happy for flowers to be brought on board.

I think this is fine for flowers from a florist shop in a disembarkation city, but I'll caution against bringing them on board from a port stop at a less developed location.

Years ago on a family cruise my wife had a bad headache and stayed on board at a port call at Dominica. We had a private tour that day. I bought a nice bouquet of tropical flowers for her from a street vender at one of the rain forest stops. Fortunately for us the giant ants started crawling out of their hiding place just before we got onto the ship rather than after I presented the flowers to my wife. That was a close one!

Otherwise, we've brought on flowers once or twice but in recent years I've just ordered them from the gifts section of Celebrity, or once on board. Celebrity charges $60 for a dozen roses nicely arranged in a vase and delivered on the day of your choice. Not cheap but cheaper than an equivalent purchase from most retail florists around Chicago and it makes it so much easier. They have other selections starting at a lower price point so I'd check it out before going out of your way to pick up flowers before boarding.

Edited by Lsimon

I have boarded with a large bouquet of flowers on many cruises, most recently from Fort Lauderdale and Miami. I buy them at the Publix grocery store for about $15 and they have looked great at the end of the 2 week cruise. Our room attendant has always found a nice vase for me with no issues.

I guess there can always be issues in foreign ports, but I got the best, most beautiful arrangement ever in Tahiti, gorgeous exotic flowers, for about $15--no bugs, but maybe I got lucky!!

Last year we were not allowed to take flowers onboard the Solstice in Tahiti. I was very disappointed as on a previous Princess cruise I brought a fabulous flower arrangement from the market. I felt very sorry for the vendors sitting with all the flowers they could not sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have brought cut flowers on board on every one of our cruises, both from the US and non US ports. Never had a problem. The only rule I am aware of is that they cannot be potted plants, no dirt allowed from foreign ports.

There is not, as stated a florist near the port in San Juan, Sorry. Enjoy your cruise

• 5 weeks later...
I just called and asked Celebrity and was told it was not allowed? Was this because they would rather just sell them to me?

It is allowed. On our latest cruise, the Assistant Head Housekeeper actually took our flowers and got the on board florist to arrange them in vases for us. Towards the end of the cruise, it appeared that they were returned to the florist and arranged in a single vase as the flowers began to drop. No one tried to get us to purchase flowers at any time.

Edited by Project_gal

• 1 month later...
I just called and asked Celebrity and was told it was not allowed? Was this because they would rather just sell them to me?

My guess is their answer was because they DO NOT KNOW! Celebrity land side is not to be believed most of the time. They give out misinformation constantly.

Trust the answers you are getting from actual cruisers here on Cruise Critic. Yes, you may bring flowers on board! :D

Follow up as the OP. I got a lot of looks from the other guest as we stood in line waiting to board but no one said anything from Celebrity. In fact since they were already in a vase I asked someone in housekeeping if they could have them taken to our room so we didn't have to carry them around until rooms were ready. They showed up that evening no problem.