Room service alcohol, bringing wine in from ports- Regal

Jane T

We are sailing soon on the Regal and I am wondering if anyone has a room service menu that includes the alcohol and wine available. Also, can anyone tell me about their experience with bringing wine in from St Thomas or St Martin - can you pay corkage and bring it directly to your room?

We are sailing soon on the Regal and I am wondering if anyone has a room service menu that includes the alcohol and wine available. Also, can anyone tell me about their experience with bringing wine in from St Thomas or St Martin - can you pay corkage and bring it directly to your room?

Wine will be seized when you board , stored and returned to you the night before disembarkation. Two bottle of wine are only allowed on embarkation day for consumption in your room. Sometimes you might even have to visit the naughty room to retrieve it.

Edited by Kamloops50

Wine will be seized when you board , stored and returned to you the night before disembarkation. Two bottle of wine are only allowed on embarkation day for consumption in your room. Sometimes you might even have to visit the naughty room to retrieve it.

I'm not sure if this answer is quite right. I believe I've read here on Cruise Critics that you can bring as much wine as you want. You just have to pay a $15 corkage fee for all bottles except the first two. We've order liquor via a room service and it's fairly reasonable in price. For vodka and rum it's $17 for half of a fifth.

That has not been my experience & I've brought wine on from ports numerous times. Ship's security knew we were bringing wine from ports & has even commented "nice bottle of wine" & even though they didn't charge corkage I am prepared to pay it. If it's a bottle of wine I want to take home & they want to charge a fee, then they will hold it until the last night. Many of my friends have had the same experience & it's been posted that Princess has confirmed that this is the correct procedure.

At embarkation wine should be carried on & not in a checked bag and when the policy changed to limit the number of fee-free bottles we had to go to the naughty room to show them it was wine & not booze. :o

Jane T...you can bring on wine at ports & if you are exceeding your 1) 750 mL bottle of wine per adult passenger then you are subject to the $15 corkage fee for each additional bottle. After paying the fee thing you can enjoy it anywhere onboard including in the dining rooms without any additional fee being charged. I have not brought on wine from St. Thomas or St. Martin however my experience has been that it shouldn't be a problem but be prepared to pay the $15/bottle corkage fee. :)

Here's a list of items you can preorder & usually available from room service:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm not sure if this answer is quite right. I believe I've read here on Cruise Critics that you can bring as much wine as you want. You just have to pay a $15 corkage fee for all bottles except the first two. We've order liquor via a room service and it's fairly reasonable in price. For vodka and rum it's $17 for half of a fifth.

This only true for embarkation day . Bringing alcohol on board in ports hasn't changed lately.

Here is the link to the Princess site.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp#Alcohol_Policy

This only true for embarkation day . Bringing alcohol on board in ports hasn't changed lately.

This port policy is highly dependent on the port and/or ship and security working at the time. Very often they let wine onboard or don't have the wine/liquor collection table manned.

I saw a post from someone who worked security saying his ship wasn't staffed enough at the gangway to do this, his team was busy making sure the right people and no weapons came onboard, not collecting booze for delivery.

In fact with the Dufry store delivering some things purchased in port directly to the ship, the odds are probably good that you can walk on with wine from another vendor at those ports.

It's been posted many times that Princess has clarified that not bringing "alcoholic beverages" from ports to mean booze & not wine...booze is "collected & returned". Princess realizes that part of the enjoyment of a cruise is having locally produced wines during a cruise & since they don't carry such wine they allow us to enjoy it during our cruise. Going to countries such as Italy without enjoying their wine would be wrong & my experience and that of many others is that they allow wine from ports subject to a $15 corkage fee. :)

We have booked a Back to Back. We spend a day mid-cruise in fort Lauderdale. Are we entitled to get off the ship and purchase one bottle of wine per person for the second leg of the cruise. Anyone have any experience doing this during the layover. I understand there is all kinds of places to purchase wine on 17th street.

Edited by donh1
wine not win

Half a Fifth - is that a Tenth?

We have booked a Back to Back. We spend a day mid-cruise in fort Lauderdale. Are we entitled to get off the ship and purchase one bottle of wine per person for the second leg of the cruise. Anyone have any experience doing this during the layover. I understand thereg is all kinds of places to purchase wine on 17th street.

Yes, that's fine.

Very limited selection are available for order on the ship and the prices are not at all reasonable unless you compare it to ordering individual drinks at the bar.

Yes, I was comparing it to an individual drink. I drink vodka and cranberry which I get charged $5.95 to $7.95 before tip depending on where and how it's rung up. I bring my own cranberry juice. I think I get around 8 drinks out of a bottle so I consider ordering from room service a cheaper alternative. I still order individual drinks but not as many.

Yes, I was comparing it to an individual drink. I drink vodka and cranberry which I get charged $5.95 to $7.95 before tip depending on where and how it's rung up. I bring my own cranberry juice. I think I get around 8 drinks out of a bottle so I consider ordering from room service a cheaper alternative. I still order individual drinks but not as many.

They have cranberry juice at the Horizon buffet but you have to ask for it. My wife brings her large insulated mug with her in the morning & as were leaving to go back to the room has one of the guys fill it to be stored in the refrigerator to have later in the day.

They have cranberry juice at the Horizon buffet but you have to ask for it. My wife brings her large insulated mug with her in the morning & as were leaving to go back to the room has one of the guys fill it to be stored in the refrigerator to have later in the day.

Good to know. Is it free? I thought you had to buy the ultimate drink card to get cranberry juice. It's the one that is a step above the soda card but doesn't include alcohol.

We took a chance on embarkation and took 2 bottles of wine each in our carry on bags, this wasn't challenged and our steward left wine glasses without being asked to. The drinks table was manned at every port. We didn't bring any wine on board during this cruise, although, we have on previous cruises and not been sent to the naughty table.... Yet.

There is a small selection of room service bottles of wine or you can order the 4 small bottles for your fridge.

On sea days you can buy a bottle of wine at lunch time , have a glass then take the bottle back to your stateroom fridge to drink later.

The ship this time was the Coral.

Good to know. Is it free? I thought you had to buy the ultimate drink card to get cranberry juice. It's the one that is a step above the soda card but doesn't include alcohol.

It's free at breakfast time in the Horizon up until around 11 AM of so. They also have V8, prune and I think pineapple.

We also bring a lager plastic bottle/disposable to store extra juice in the fridge for drinks later in the day with out own stock.

Two bottle of wine are only allowed on embarkation day for consumption in your room.

This was the sentence that chloe45 was questioning. It is indeed a mischaracterization of the policy. On embarkation day, there is no limit to the number of bottles one can bring on board for consumption in the cabin. Only a limit to the number of free bottles that one can bring on board, and that number is one per person, not two.

It's still astounding to me how many people have no fear, nor second thought, nor hesistation about posting something about which they know nothing at all. JimmyWine is correct: we were on the Ruby Princess out of FLL first week of December and brought a case of wine (that's 12 bottles) in a proper shipping carton. It was held for hours until, well after we sailed, I pestered the purser's desk and it was brought to our cabin. It had been opened, and 10 bottles had little "Princess" stickers on them, 2 were free. I was charged $15/ bottle on those bottles, as I expected to be, paid the freight and enjoyed every bottle. That's the way they did it that day, on that ship. Your experience might be different. s

This was the sentence that chloe45 was questioning. It is indeed a mischaracterization of the policy. On embarkation day, there is no limit to the number of bottles one can bring on board for consumption in the cabin. Only a limit to the number of free bottles that one can bring on board, and that number is one per person, not two.

Yes, that was what I was responded too. I mentioned 2 bottles because there are usually 2 adults per cabin. I know it's one per person.

We have booked a Back to Back. We spend a day mid-cruise in fort Lauderdale. Are we entitled to get off the ship and purchase one bottle of wine per person for the second leg of the cruise. Anyone have any experience doing this during the layover. I understand there is all kinds of places to purchase wine on 17th street.

Yes, you can do that. There is a Total Wine and a Publix supermarket in the shopping center near the Embassy Suites. There are also several liquor stores and a Winn Dixie on the north side. All have ample supplies of wine.

I am not fussy about wine and last voyage brought a 1-litre box wine. Security paused for about a second as my bag passed through and let it pass. My experience is that they will let it pass if it is a) small or b) does not look like a wine or liquor bottle.

Hi Don, Wayne and did this exact thing when we did our back to back Canada/New England/eastern Caribbean. That's how you got your birthday wine lol. You don't even have to get back in the long boarding line, there is a special entrance for you. Have a great cruise.

We're doing a 32 day cruise from FLL to Valpariso, Chile on the Ruby soon, and I am hoping we will be able to bring back an occasional bottle of local wine from the ports for consumption in the cabin. I don't mind if we have to pay the corkage fee.

In Europe, on the Ruby in 2012 and the Pacific in 2013, there was never a question about wine being brought on board from ports. Never charged a corkage fee either!

We're doing a 32 day cruise from FLL to Valpariso, Chile on the Ruby soon, and I am hoping we will be able to bring back an occasional bottle of local wine from the ports for consumption in the cabin. I don't mind if we have to pay the corkage fee.

In Europe, on the Ruby in 2012 and the Pacific in 2013, there was never a question about wine being brought on board from ports. Never charged a corkage fee either!

Last March we sailed Buenos Aires to LA & bought the wine package. However the few times we brought a bottle for our cabin there was no problem & as I recall most checks were by port personnel. Boarding in BA Princess staff also checked bags & had a desk to monitor wine brought onboard.