Travel from Civitavacchia to Venice

girljean

This is excellent information being shared. We are planning on traveling to Venice post cruise on debarkation day from Civitavecchia. I have been looking at train logistics but am seriously considering a 1 way car rental from Avis for luggage/stress reasons. I also like the idea of driving through Italy. Though the rental would be costlier than the train, (wish I knew how to drive a standard shift!) but still is within our budget.

The question I have for anyone here that has done this by car is how did you get to your hotel from the rental location? Avis is located at Piazzale Roma. Does anyone know how easy it is to get to a vaporetto or water taxi stop from this location. I looked at maps and really can't tell. Also wondering how difficult it may be to carry luggage onto a vaporetto. Our hotel is about a 1/4 mile from (488 meters) from St. Marks Square so thinking we could walk from there.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!!!

The question I have for anyone here that has done this by car is how did you get to your hotel from the rental location? Avis is located at Piazzale Roma. Does anyone know how easy it is to get to a vaporetto or water taxi stop from this location. I looked at maps and really can't tell. Also wondering how difficult it may be to carry luggage onto a vaporetto. Our hotel is about a 1/4 mile from (488 meters) from St. Marks Square so thinking we could walk from there.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!!!

Piazzale Roma is at the end of a long causeway connecting the islands of Venice to the mainland. It's the connector location to the cruise ship terminals and the Santa Lucia train station. It is also the primo location for Vaporetti and water taxis. The Vaporetti are the buses of Venice ,so occasionally a bit crowded and you can't expect help with bags. If your hotel is on one of the canals, a water taxi might be the best choice. In any event P, Roma is a perfect spot to see and choose between the two.

We took a rental car from Civitavecchia to Venice by way of the Italian alps and Austria, but the principle is the same.

We dropped our rental at the airport and left our two larger suitcases at the left luggage office. We took a small suitcase with us and took a water taxi from there to our hotel. It was sweet!

We could have taken the Alilaguna blue line from the airport for less than 15€ right to St. Marks.

You definitely can take a water taxi from the P. Roma parking garage as well. So you have lots of options

We have a few more responses to issues raised here. For those with mobility issues, the trains can be a real challenge. You might have to deal with steps, long walks in stations, and must also be capable of handling your own luggage at every step of the process. As much as some folks love European trains, DW and I have found they just have too many limitations for most of our own explorations. Trains are excellent for getting from Point A to Point B (mostly larger cities) but fail miserably when one wants to really explore outside the major cities. A rental car solves many problems since you can put your luggage in the car, it can take you just about anywhere, you go on your own schedule, etc. But most rental cars in Italy have a manual transmission (stick) which is tough for many Americans. Renting an automatic can really increase your rental cost....if you can even find such a car.

As to Venice, if we drive into (or out of) Venice we will use the rental car agencies at the Piazale Roma. From that point, one must be able to handle their own luggage. Taking luggage onto a Vaporetto can be a hassle if it is a busy time of day, but it is doable. One piece of luggage is no extra cost, but they can charge you extra for more then 1 piece per person although this is seldom done.

Getting from the Pizzale Roma to a hotel can be done by a few ways. You can walk, you can take a vaporetto (and often still have to walk) or you could hire a water taxi (which usually costs over 100 Euros). There are few other options. The Alilaguna boats are similar to Vaporettos but run their own routes and have their own ticketing. Alilaguna boats do not go to nearly as many places as the Vaporettos.

Hank

Depending on your needs and budget, there are limo companies that will drive 4 people from Civitavecchia to Venice for about 800 euros. It would include two or three sightseeing stops along the way if you choose. When you consider the time, aggravation, physical fitness, carrying luggage, changing trains, renting cars, etc, etc, it could be something to be considered.

We have a few more responses to issues raised here. For those with mobility issues, the trains can be a real challenge. You might have to deal with steps, long walks in stations, and must also be capable of handling your own luggage at every step of the process. As much as some folks love European trains, DW and I have found they just have too many limitations for most of our own explorations. Trains are excellent for getting from Point A to Point B (mostly larger cities) but fail miserably when one wants to really explore outside the major cities. A rental car solves many problems since you can put your luggage in the car, it can take you just about anywhere, you go on your own schedule, etc. But most rental cars in Italy have a manual transmission (stick) which is tough for many Americans. Renting an automatic can really increase your rental cost....if you can even find such a car.

Hank

I'm going to have to think this over. My question is, does the train station in Rome and Venice have big stair cases to go up and down? I can walk up and down hills and a few steps. Larger staircases are a bit of a challenge but I'm trying to get myself stronger to climb those obstacles. One thing I just thought of, how big is the step onto the train?

My first car was a 1969 Toyota Corona. I can drive a stick with the best of them :D

I'm going to have to think this over. My question is, does the train station in Rome and Venice have big stair cases to go up and down? I can walk up and down hills and a few steps. Larger staircases are a bit of a challenge but I'm trying to get myself stronger to climb those obstacles. One thing I just thought of, how big is the step onto the train?

My first car was a 1969 Toyota Corona. I can drive a stick with the best of them :D

At both stations you should not have to go up/down any stairs for the platforms. There will be a pretty long walk between trains if you switch at Termini, however, so give yourself plenty of time. Climbing into the trains there will be a couple of steps, but if my 67-year-old mother with bum knees can haul herself into the trains, you should be able to as well... :D

Edited by Twickenham

Depending on your needs and budget, there are limo companies that will drive 4 people from Civitavecchia to Venice for about 800 euros. It would include two or three sightseeing stops along the way if you choose. When you consider the time, aggravation, physical fitness, carrying luggage, changing trains, renting cars, etc, etc, it could be something to be considered.

Yeah, I'd MUCH rather save 700 euros and drive myself!!!

Yeah, I'd MUCH rather save 700 euros and drive myself!!!

I'd save myself the €750 and take the train :-) If I was worried about hauling suitcase up and down the underpass at C'vecchia, there will be plenty of cruisers there that would be more than happy to help, especially if you flip then 10€

Of course, your choice and your budget. But some travelers would rather pay for the convenience, especially if they have physical problems. It is one of the many available options and it bears mentioning along with the others. You can't assume that all posters on these boards have the same requirements or preferences.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me expand on my earlier post. All the European railroads (i.e. Trenitalia, SNCF, RENFE, etc) have their own web sites. Nearly all the European railroads will sell tickets directly on their web site, and sometimes have some amazing prices. But, if booking European rail from outside the EU, one might find they are quickly directed (by their browser) to third party sites like Raileurope (for North Americans). These sites are owned by third parties and often have a contract to sell tickets in certain countries (i.e. Raileurope in the USA). And many times you will pay a big premium for using these sites.

So, some of us have learned how to deal with these situations. For example, if you try to book a SNCF (French Railroad) ticket on the SNCF site and say you live in the USA (it will ask this question) then you will immediately be steered towards the Rail Europe site with its higher prices. But if you tell that SNCF site that you live in France, then you will be able to buy normally cheaper tickets on the SNCF site and simply print out your ticket.

We have found even crazier situations. When recently trying to buy a ticket on New Zealand Tranzalpine line we were shocked at the high cost. It turns out that if your computer is located outside of New Zealand or Australia you are only offered high priced tickets. But if you fool their server into thinking that you are physically located in NZ or Australia you will get much cheaper fares (over 40% off) and you can put them on your credit card and print out the tickets (no matter where your location). Of course one needs to have the computer knowledge in how to fool their server (it can be done with open source browsers such as Tor or by using a VPN located within those countries).

Life on the internet is getting more interesting. We live in Mexico for part of the year and discovered that we can no longer connect to our health care drug provider on the internet. As soon as it realizes we are outside the USA it says "Not authorized to connect to the server." But if we use something like TOR Browser and program it to indicate we are inside the USA, there is no problem connecting (and ordering our prescriptions).

Many folks still do not understand that when you use the internet the other end knows where you are located! And pricing is often varied depending on your location (i.e. lets charge the rich American's more money). We think that practice truly sucks and it is unfortunate that most folks are either unaware or do not have the knowledge/ability to get around these pricing schemes.

Hank

I booked our train tickets yesterday with no problem. Thanks again to you and Cruisemom for all the info and help! 97 days, but who's counting :)

• 1 month later...

I have another train question. Just to recap, we are booked on Frecciargento Rome to Venice. Do you know if this is a non-stop or does this make a stop anywhere?

I have tried looking this up online and can't find the answer. I do know it is a 3 hour 20 min trip.

I have another train question. Just to recap, we are booked on Frecciargento Rome to Venice. Do you know if this is a non-stop or does this make a stop anywhere?

I have tried looking this up online and can't find the answer. I do know it is a 3 hour 20 min trip.

There are a few stops. Assuming you board the train at Termini and get off at Venezia -- Santa Lucia, there are 5 stops in between. You can see them if you go to the Trenitalia site, enter the info as if you are going to book a ticket, then when the available trains are displayed, click on the tiny "i" (for Informazione) underneath the number of the train, in the 4th column.

Roma Termini -- Roma Tiburtina -- Firenze S. M. Novella -- Bologna Centrale -- Padova -- Venezia Mestre -- Venezia S. Lucia

• 2 months later...

There are a few different explanations here on steps inside the Rome train station....could someone with first hand recent knowledge advise how many stairs there are to get to the express train to Venice?

Also are there steps on the Venice end?

It will be a factor in our packing for sure if there are lots of steps on either end.

Thanks for any help...

The only steps you'll deal with at Termini are those up onto the train itself. If you are using the station at Civitavecchia there are two full flights of stairs to deal with. In Venice you'll only have the train steps but once you leave the station going anywhere in Venice requires steps at each bridge.

The only steps you'll deal with at Termini are those up onto the train itself. If you are using the station at Civitavecchia there are two full flights of stairs to deal with. In Venice you'll only have the train steps but once you leave the station going anywhere in Venice requires steps at each bridge.

Thank you..