Change of itinerary due to bad weather?

I will be on a South Pacific cruise next week, going to Noumea, Lifou, Mystery Island and Isle of Pines. Looking at the forecast, it looks like it is going to rain everyday. My questions are:-

1) I have read that cruise ships avoid bad weather these days by changing itinerary, do cruise ship change itinerary in extremely bad weather only?

2) what are the chances that they will go to other ports or re-arrange itinerary just to avoid rain and thunderstorms?

3) what other ports are likely? I want to research ahead on what to do.

4) does anyone know of any websites to see if it is just rain being predicted or cyclone?

I know it is the cyclone season now, and some people will say that this weather is expected. However, January is the best time to travel for me, I know the risks when I booked, just want to be better prepared.

Last month we missed a port stop at Dravuni, Fiji, due to high winds making it unsafe to anchor the ship and to operate the tenders.

We had rain at Port Denarau, mainly in the afternoon, which didn't really affect anything other than making it unpleasantly humid coming back to the ship on the tender.

I understand that ships do avoid cyclones but I'm not sure about lesser storms or rain.

Weather forecasts can be misleading. If you look at Sydney forecasts you'll often see rain and storms predicted, and half the time they never happen.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4) For cyclone forecasts in that region, you want to keep monitoring here:

http://www.met.gov.fj/tc_outlook.pdf

As you can see, nothing is expected at the moment. Often, rain is just... rain. ;-)

You're partially right that ships will try to avoid bad weather. However, that is while sailing... they won't cancel ports just because of forecast rain. OTOH, if a cyclone is forecast they will adjust port schedules.

The captain will change course and itinerary if the ship may be in danger but also for the comfort of passengers and crew. The captain doesn't want people getting sea sick due to rough weather if he can avoid it, sickness can ruin people's cruise and it also enhances the spread of noro virus which causes everyone problems. That said, rain will not be a factor but winds and seas will.

I doubt that alternate ports would be offered if a port is cancelled due to bad weather, as the ships itinerary is set in stone well in advance. Ships require clearances to visit ports.

We had our visit to Lifou cancelled last November due to high winds and choppy seas making tender operations too dangerous. We were at the mooring point when the decision was made between the pilot and the captain not to stay. We sailed almost immediately and spent the extra day at sea. On the previous day it was raining at Mare, but we got ashore because the weather permitted tender operations.

Good luck with your trip. Long range weather reports generally aren't reliable. Hope for sunshine or at worst a bit of drizzle.

I doubt that alternate ports would be offered if a port is cancelled due to bad weather, as the ships itinerary is set in stone well in advance. Ships require clearances to visit ports.

We had our visit to Lifou cancelled last November due to high winds and choppy seas making tender operations too dangerous. We were at the mooring point when the decision was made between the pilot and the captain not to stay. We sailed almost immediately and spent the extra day at sea. On the previous day it was raining at Mare, but we got ashore because the weather permitted tender operations.

Good luck with your trip. Long range weather reports generally aren't reliable. Hope for sunshine or at worst a bit of drizzle.

on About half my cruises ports have been cancelled due to weather each and every time some other port has been inserted.

My last cruise they couldn't get into Melbourne on Wednesday due to winds so we swapped and went to Burnie Wednesday and Melbourne Thursday, it was supposed to be Melb then Burnie.

On an earlier cruise we ht a Cyclone and missed three ports so stayed in one port a day extra and revisited one port a second time.

on About half my cruises ports have been cancelled due to weather each and every time some other port has been inserted.

My last cruise they couldn't get into Melbourne on Wednesday due to winds so we swapped and went to Burnie Wednesday and Melbourne Thursday, it was supposed to be Melb then Burnie.

On an earlier cruise we ht a Cyclone and missed three ports so stayed in one port a day extra and revisited one port a second time.

So GUT2407, basically what you are saying is that you are jinxed.:p

LOL:D

The small print of your cruise contract allows captains/cruiselines to do whatever is in the best interests of safety and comfort of the ship and passengers.

So GUT2407, basically what you are saying is that you are jinxed.:p

LOL:D

The small print of your cruise contract allows captains/cruiselines to do whatever is in the best interests of safety and comfort of the ship and passengers.

Yep jinxed I is, you ought to see some of the strange characters I meet on cruises.

I always say if a particular port on a particular day is make or break for you don't cruise to get there.

I was really disappointed about one Port as now few if any cruises go there and flying is out for us, but knew that was a risk.

I would be very surprised if you got rain all day every day. I hope that it works out better than that, but may I ask, where did you see the forecast for rain every day? Was it rain with a high percentage, or was it showers, with some low percentage chances of rain? Weather forecasters like to hedge their bets and it seems to me like they often forecast a chance of some rain just in case.

I checked out this site, and it seemed like very specific forecasting per hour. I would take that with a grain of salt. The humidity though, I would believe that will be very high at this time of year.

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/New-Caledonia-Island/Noumea/14-Day-Forecast.aspx

Yep jinxed I is, you ought to see some of the strange characters I meet on cruises.

I always say if a particular port on a particular day is make or break for you don't cruise to get there.

I was really disappointed about one Port as now few if any cruises go there and flying is out for us, but knew that was a risk.

Agreed:D

They will try to organise an alternative port. With island destinations where things are a little less hectic with other bookings, they can come up with alternatives a short while out. No guarantees of course, but it can be possible.

I would be very surprised if you got rain all day every day. I hope that it works out better than that, but may I ask, where did you see the forecast for rain every day? Was it rain with a high percentage, or was it showers, with some low percentage chances of rain? Weather forecasters like to hedge their bets and it seems to me like they often forecast a chance of some rain just in case.

I checked out this site, and it seemed like very specific forecasting per hour. I would take that with a grain of salt. The humidity though, I would believe that will be very high at this time of year.

http://www.myweather2.com/City-Town/New-Caledonia-Island/Noumea/14-Day-Forecast.aspx

I just google extended weather forecast and looked at a few sites. Saw the rain picture next to the days we will be there. Didn't look at percentage, rain vs shower, etc. Replies from everyone thus far are encouraging though, hopefully it is just a tropical shower or two and no cyclone.

thanks everyone.

I just google extended weather forecast and looked at a few sites. Saw the rain picture next to the days we will be there. Didn't look at percentage, rain vs shower, etc. Replies from everyone thus far are encouraging though, hopefully it is just a tropical shower or two and no cyclone.

thanks everyone.

Bring a lite rain jacket or poncho in case of the usual rain storm in the afternoon.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We had pouring rain most of the day when we were at Mystery Island, they still ran tenders but when it became obvious that most people were staying on board they put on lots of extra activities to keep everyone entertained. So you could find similar happens if you get washed out at any of the ports.

They will try to organise an alternative port. With island destinations where things are a little less hectic with other bookings, they can come up with alternatives a short while out. No guarantees of course, but it can be possible.

That's fair enough. I guess when you're talking about small island ports and the frequency that these ships are visiting then anything is possible.

My experience has been quite different and I suppose somewhat unique having sailed on warships all over the world for 12+ years.

[QUOTE=Greensteam;45272274]That's fair enough. I guess when you're talking about small island ports and the frequency that these ships are visiting then anything is possible.

My experience has been quite different and I suppose somewhat unique having sailed on warships all over the world for 12+ years.[/quote]

Ahh haa ..........so it's you that's been "making the waves" at these ports so people can't get in p:D:D :eek:

Edited by dizzy1948