Wine packages

buchsco

They have a modest assortment of bubbly, white, rose and red to choose from. You may purchase 7 bottles (no less, didn't try to get more) and the package price comes out to $42.50/bottle. You may call for these wines to be served to you in any venue and the 18% gratuity is already included.

In our case (November on Insignia), none of the wines in the package were offered on the normal wine list so there was no comparing prices, etc.

We did it on Regatta in November. Only 7 day cruise but we shared with friends and she didn't drink much so it was perfect.

The sommelier helped me choose and was great at telling me what they were and previous list price. We had 2 bottle of an outstanding red that was normally listed for $90+. No idea what it was. Took a photo but my phone died in Belize in the rain and photos too. 😁

Would def do again.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our 20 day Marina cruise in November, the offer was repeated. The selection changed and the better bubbly was no longer there. All the previous postings are accurate. You could buy exactly 7, no less no more.

At what point can one order the wine package and where ?? is it done at the table on the first night??

A couple of pre-statements:

1. We always take the Premium Drinks Package, but we drink primarily wine.

2. We always fly into the embarkment port a couple of days early;

Now;

If one is travelling to Europe, or as we are Oz, the wine package is not a special deal. One can find far better wines, at far lower prices, than what is offered in O's wine packages. For higher caliber wines, one can pay the corkage fee, so to enjoy with dinner, for an outside bottle and still pay far less than O's prices. Even O's package price for the wines are often 2+ times retail.

However, because of tarrifs/duties, etc. this is typically not the case if one embarks in the middle of the S. Pacific, Carribe, or certain other areas.

A simple example of the above. A really nice $40 bottle of wine (retail) will often cost $100-120 on board. If one pays the $40 + $25 corkage, they are well ahead of buying on ship. If the bottle of wine retails at $15 + $25 corkage, one may break even or save very little over buying it on-ship. The greatest prize comes from buying many great wines for up to half price, in the country of orgin, over what they pay retail in the States. The savings can become pleasantly startling.

So the answer primarily lies on where you get on the boat, and what quality of wine you normally drink.

IIRC, there was a table display with the wines set up outside Toscana in the afternoon on embarkation day. The sommelier was beginning to dismantle the display when I happened by, maybe around 4?

Ours was a 7 day cruise so it was only offered once. I believe you can buy in multiples of 7, at least that's what I understood. But you cannot buy 8 or 9 bottles.

Also not all the sommeliers seemed to know how it worked. They have a list of what you have purchased. They help you choose what to drink and you initial the list to indicate that particular selection has been consumed. If they seem confused just tell them to get the list so you can see what is left.

I think we had a sparkler, 2 whites and 4 reds. It worked well for us. We were very pleased with the quality of the wines we chose. When you consider that the 18% gratuity is included, it can be a very good deal, depending on your selections.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

crusingxpert;

Perhaps the system has changed, but on our last cruise there was no set package. The ship had a collection of wines that they were rotating out and bundled those wins into several packages of seven (7). One could pick and choose the package they preferred, as long as supplies lasted. There were not "set" wines in any packages, nor any claim that those wines would appear in any future packages. The PJ you referred to, for example, was not even offered on any of the ship's wine list, as it must have been sold out or replaced with other bubbly for awhile.

We are arriving in Sydney 4 days before our cruise. We fully expect to pick up some wonderful wines there, which are rarely if ever seen in the US market, to enjoy at Jacques and the Polo Grill. Paying the corkage will be a minor inconvenience, and will give us exceptional wines, to go with the great food, at far below total ship prices.

As with many higher end restaurants, O's on ship prices are typically 2.5 - 4.0 times retail prices. With the lower priced wines $7-$15, the market will typically run closer to 4 times.

crusingxpert;

Perhaps the system has changed, but on our last cruise there was no set package. The ship had a collection of wines that they were rotating out and bundled those wins into several packages of seven (7). One could pick and choose the package they preferred, as long as supplies lasted. There were not "set" wines in any packages, nor any claim that those wines would appear in any future packages. The PJ you referred to, for example, was not even offered on any of the ship's wine list, as it must have been sold out or replaced with other bubbly for awhile.

Probably my fault if it's gone lol. They had Perrier Jouet on the list so we ordered 7 bottles. Wine Steward winked and said "Good choice"

Our last O cruise was the TA, Barcelona/Miami in November. For part of the trip, we took the 7 bottle package. It was early in the voyage so the offerings were very good. Although the trip was 14 nights, we couldn't do two packages because we had wines from other sources, La Reserve, gifts. Seven must be a magic number of sorts. The rationale cannot be to simply force people to order off the wine lists in dining rooms. We've met people in PH's who often dine en suite and drink wines from shore. Their motivation never seemed related to wine prices but rather to just liking dining that way. We also considered it because ordering from specialty restaurant menus is a PH perk. In the end, we never did it but we may next time. Getting glassware isn't an issue because they come with the room. In the end we enjoy our wine no matter how we get it.

Mary

So, stupid question...if you do the wine package can you choose the wines you want in the package? That's how it appeared in the website. It nearly sounds like you need to pre-choose to be safe. Do I have that right?

We're trying to figure out between the wine package and the beverage package. We will probably pick up some wines in Spain but we are doing a transatlantic so the ship will be the focus for part of the cruise.

So, stupid question...if you do the wine package can you choose the wines you want in the package? That's how it appeared in the website. It nearly sounds like you need to pre-choose to be safe. Do I have that right?

We're trying to figure out between the wine package and the beverage package. We will probably pick up some wines in Spain but we are doing a transatlantic so the ship will be the focus for part of the cruise.

We did the 7 bottle wine package in November and we were able to select our own wines from those available. The nice part was that there was one red we selected that we really liked and we were able to "trade out" one of our whites for a second bottle of that red later on during the cruise. Of course, the ability to do this is limited to them still having that bottle available. It is my understanding that this has replaced the prior "Wine Bazaar" that use to be offered.

Cenia

We did the 7 bottle wine package in November and we were able to select our own wines from those available. The nice part was that there was one red we selected that we really liked and we were able to "trade out" one of our whites for a second bottle of that red later on during the cruise. Of course, the ability to do this is limited to them still having that bottle available. It is my understanding that this has replaced the prior "Wine Bazaar" that use to be offered.

Cenia

Thanks Cenia :D So select in advance and then if happy hope you can trade?

We can do that. We're used to selecting as we run out, but we can be very flexible. Much appreciated.

Thanks Cenia :D So select in advance and then if happy hope you can trade?

We can do that. We're used to selecting as we run out, but we can be very flexible. Much appreciated.

Just remember, you can not select before you board the ship. It is something you should do early on the first day you are on board. They will have tables set up outside Terraces and on the "O" ships they had a table set up in the lobby on deck 5.

Cenia

Just remember, you can not select before you board the ship. It is something you should do early on the first day you are on board. They will have tables set up outside Terraces and on the "O" ships they had a table set up in the lobby on deck 5.

Cenia

Thanks again. As you probably guessed I am a newbie on O and you are a huge help. :D

thank you again!

Any recent info on what a basic decent wine by the glass will run? Traveling alone and not sure the seven bottle package makes sense for me. Wondering if it is just better to take a couple of bottles with me for the cabin (not getting on at a good wine port), and do dinners by the glass?

If I were traveling on my own, I'd get wine by the glass.

I often have done so when traveling with my fruit-juice husband as well.

Depending on if you have a wine you like, and the price is right, I often have ordered a bottle which I nurse through several days. The ship will send it to you in all restaurants. You just give them your room number and they will find it. That's somewhat more cost effective on a per glass basis.

But if you are happy with the daily selections, then buying by the glass is a good way to go. I'm not sure about current prices ... they keep increasing!

(But that's true whether you buy by the glass or by the bottle.)

Mura