Key Card

jamesnnb

Not really just a Princess question. We were watching the old "Love Boat" and laughed at how you just walked on and Julie would tell you your cabin number ("up those stairs and to the right....") and check you off her clipboard. Anyway, we were wondering what you were given before Key Cards? We sailed back then (pre-key-cards) but don't really recall getting a key that you kept in your pocket. I imagine we did -- just don't remember a key. Is that what they gave you in the "good ol' days"?

Not really just a Princess question. We were watching the old "Love Boat" and laughed at how you just walked on and Julie would tell you your cabin number ("up those stairs and to the right....") and check you off her clipboard. Anyway, we were wondering what you were given before Key Cards? We sailed back then (pre-key-cards) but don't really recall getting a key that you kept in your pocket. I imagine we did -- just don't remember a key. Is that what they gave you in the "good ol' days"?

It was a pre cut key with a tag.

Yep, in the old days, we actually got a key. We were told to leave it in the cabin when we left at the end of the cruise. I think we just signed for purchases with our cabin number.

Stan

Thanks, all. Yes, it must have just been a key with a tag. So common back then we didn't even think about it. They probably didn't change the locks back then, either. Ah, a different world.

Just like in Hotels back "in the day".

Indeed some Motor Inns [Motels] still operate that way.

And for future, excuse me, WAY future cruises, our sea pass will be our thumb print electronic/biometric data to expire on the date the cruise ends. Or there may be optic readers in our cabin's door that will also expire when the cruise ends.:)

Edited by Treven

After metal keys, I remember 'Ving Cards':

http://www.skypadsolutions.com/transfer/Ving-Card.jpg

This was before my time:

http://www.skypadsolutions.com/transfer/Old-Key.jpg

Thanks to this poster for the references:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42143041&postcount=347

Edited by pablo222