Carnival to Offer Unlimited Social Media for $5/day or $25/week

UnObstructedView

...on select ships.

This just in from Carnival:

MIAMI (January 15, 2015) – Carnival Cruise Line has launched a new free mobile app that provides vacationers aboard Carnival Breeze with a variety of useful information to maximize the fun on their next Carnival cruise. The app includes an innovative “chat” feature that allows guests to exchange messages with their traveling companions using their mobile devices throughout the voyage for a low flat fee of $5 for the entire cruise.

The line is also piloting enhanced Internet access aboard Carnival Freedom, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine that dramatically increases bandwidth and speed and also includes a first-ever social media package providing unlimited access to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and other popular sites for a fee of just $5 per day or $25 per voyage during the testing period.

“Consumers expect a high level of connectivity even while on vacation and these new enhancements provide our guests not only with helpful tools for getting the most out of their cruise but also a convenient and cost-effective way for keeping in touch with their family and friends while on board,” said Gus Antorcha, Carnival’s senior vice president of guest commerce. “We recognize the increasingly important role that technology plays in people’s daily lives and the launch of this application and new Internet packages provides us with a strong platform for introducing additional innovations and ways to use technology to enhance our guest experience even further.”

New Mobile Smartphone App Pilot on Carnival Breeze

Currently being piloted on Carnival Breeze, the new free Carnival Hub app is designed to provide guests with a convenient, at-a-glance view of the ship’s many shipboard facilities and features along with updates on events and happenings taking place on board.

Also available is a “chat” feature where guests can communicate with anyone on board from their mobile devices. The price for the chat feature, which includes a group chat option, is $5 per voyage during the testing period.

The app also includes:

· A day-by-day schedule of hundreds of on-board events, from nightly show times at the Punchliner Comedy Club presented by George Lopez and Playlist Production shows to movies and sporting events on the big screen at Seaside Theatre and Seuss at Sea events

· A “favorites” feature that allows guests to see what events and activities their sailing companions are participating in

· Information on casual dining options such as Guy’s Burger Joint, BlueIguana Cantina and The Taste Bar, along with details on the RedFrog Pub and other popular watering holes

· Searchable deck plans with key areas highlighted, providing a comprehensive layout of the ship’s various on-board offerings

· Itinerary details, including current ship time and arrival/departure times for upcoming port calls

· Real-time information on guests’ current Sail & Sign shipboard account balance

The app is currently available for the Carnival Breeze for iPhone and Android users via their respective app stores with fleetwide rollout planned within the next 18 to 24 months. During this time, the line will continue to add more fun and functional features to help guests have an even more personalized and memorable cruise vacation, such as the ability to purchase shore excursions, view photos taken by the ship’s professional photographers on board, and more.

Enhanced Internet Beta-Testing on Carnival Freedom, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine

Carnival is also piloting new Internet access and plans on Carnival Freedom, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine – including the cruise industry’s first social media package. With these new choices, consumers are offered a wide range of convenient options as well as increased bandwidth, providing enhanced service and connectivity, all at prices that are significantly lower than previous plans.

With the new social media package, guests can use popular apps or sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat and Pinterest for a flat fee of $5 per day or $25 per voyage during the initial testing period. Unlike other Internet packages, the social media package is unique in that it allows guests a convenient, flexible and highly affordable option for updating their favorite social media pages during their cruise at one low price.

Guests can also upgrade to a “value” package that includes unlimited access to the Web for checking email, sports scores, weather updates and a wide range of other applications.

There’s also a “premium” package that provides the fastest available connection speed allowing guests to access video calling sites like Skype.

The mobile app and enhanced Internet packages will roll out to additional ships following successful completion of the initial pilot programs. Additional features and functionality are also in development and will be phased in over time.

“In creating both the Internet plans and the app, we spent a lot of time listening to our guests to understand their needs and develop these products accordingly,” said Gabriela Gonzalez, Carnival’s vice president of guest technology and photo. “While we trusted the plans and the app would be well received, we are stunned by how quickly and widely they have been embraced during the pilot period. We’re excited to bring these innovations to more ships over the coming months while we continue to work to make them even better,” she added.

Thanks! I hadn't heard about this. I love the idea of the app, to be able to text with others in my family on the ship during our cruise. I have kids, and they're at that age when I give them just a bit of freedom, but not too much. I'd love to be able to find out where they are, whenever I want. Also it would be great when my husband and I are trying to track each other down.

With that said...I hate the social media part. I lead a very "connected" life, as many of us do. One of the things I love about cruising is that it forces me to unplug. I know, I know...you don't have to buy it (and I hope I wouldn't), but I just wish there were some places that were safe from social media.

NCL Has hade this on thier ships for 2 years. Tried it with 14 people in April '14 on the Breakaway, it was Ok But do you really need to carry your phone around the ship! Come On your on Vacation!

After 2 days most everyone stoped using it. I believe it was $4.00 a day.

Definitely plan to use the FunHub app if it is still available when we sail Breeze. It will be much easier than everyone always running back to the cabin to look for notes or leave a note.

I won't use the social media part but mostly because I have T-Mobile and can use service for no charge in most countries of the Caribbean. While I am on the ship I like to be disconnected but once on land I enjoy checking in and posting pictures for family and friends.

Enhanced Internet Beta-Testing on Carnival Freedom, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine

Carnival is also piloting new Internet access and plans on Carnival Freedom, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Sunshine – including the cruise industry’s first social media package. With these new choices, consumers are offered a wide range of convenient options as well as increased bandwidth, providing enhanced service and connectivity, all at prices that are significantly lower than previous plans.

With the new social media package, guests can use popular apps or sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat and Pinterest for a flat fee of $5 per day or $25 per voyage during the initial testing period. Unlike other Internet packages, the social media package is unique in that it allows guests a convenient, flexible and highly affordable option for updating their favorite social media pages during their cruise at one low price.

Guests can also upgrade to a “value” package that includes unlimited access to the Web for checking email, sports scores, weather updates and a wide range of other applications.

There’s also a “premium” package that provides the fastest available connection speed allowing guests to access video calling sites like Skype.

(sorry it wouldnt let me quote....)

Does anyone know WHEN the pilot will start and how to purchase social media package....also, wonder how much it will be to upgrade to the 'value' package...

We used the FunHub app on the December 28th sailing of the Breeze. It was really slick. It was really nice to keep tabs on our kids, or to have them let us know where they were. Well, at least one of them, the 16 y/o. For whatever reason, Carnival wouldn't allow a 12 year old to have the app on his phone. Which is silly since they allow the 12 y/o to come and go as they please from Circle C. So he would have to keep running back to the cabin and leave sticky notes on where he was going to be. I am assuming that when this get's totally rolled out you will be able to get restaurant menus, show times and everything on it. I'd probably pay to use it.

Thanks! I hadn't heard about this. I love the idea of the app, to be able to text with others in my family on the ship during our cruise. I have kids, and they're at that age when I give them just a bit of freedom, but not too much. I'd love to be able to find out where they are, whenever I want. Also it would be great when my husband and I are trying to track each other down.

With that said...I hate the social media part. I lead a very "connected" life, as many of us do. One of the things I love about cruising is that it forces me to unplug. I know, I know...you don't have to buy it (and I hope I wouldn't), but I just wish there were some places that were safe from social media.

You don't have to get the Social Media plan. You can just get the chat. It was on the Breeze for NY's and it was fantastic!

We used the FunHub app on the December 28th sailing of the Breeze. It was really slick. It was really nice to keep tabs on our kids, or to have them let us know where they were. Well, at least one of them, the 16 y/o. For whatever reason, Carnival wouldn't allow a 12 year old to have the app on his phone. Which is silly since they allow the 12 y/o to come and go as they please from Circle C. So he would have to keep running back to the cabin and leave sticky notes on where he was going to be. I am assuming that when this get's totally rolled out you will be able to get restaurant menus, show times and everything on it. I'd probably pay to use it.

I used it to keep track of my 16 year old too! Maybe they were together!! LOL.

I have a feeling the parents are gonna have to keep this a secret from the kids.

No it was great to have my 16 year old hooked up to it. He could also text his friend when he got back on the ship or if he couldn't find them. Although once I woke up at 4:30 am and he was texting under the covers!!

(sorry it wouldnt let me quote....)

Does anyone know WHEN the pilot will start and how to purchase social media package....also, wonder how much it will be to upgrade to the 'value' package...

It has already been started on the Sunshine. $5 a day for social media or $16 a day for enhanced internet (anything)

Just curious how the social media package works. Are you given a password to log in with? I guess I don't understand the difference between the social media and the internet package. you have to internet (Wi-Fi) to get on social media, and I assume you are doing it from your own device (phone, tablet, etc.) so how are you stopped from checking things like email, etc.. and what is considered 'social media'....obviously facebook, but what about twitter, snapchat , IM, ....

can it be used on more than one or your devices....

ugghh, I'm so confused!!! this blonde moment is lasting way to long!

we were recently on a cruise with 14 people. my niece took great nephew to camp carnival. camp carnival gave her a cell phone incase they needed her. it was nice to be able to call her on the ship to find out where they were etc... I think communication with your other family members onboard is great since the ships are so big.

We were on the Freedom for the New Years cruise and used the Social Media package for $25.00. We both have iPhones so we were able to use the iMessage feature and text each other which worked much better than trying to use Walkie Talkies like we've done in the past. To do that we each had to get the package but it was well worth it for our 8 day cruise. Plus our kids were staying with their grandparents and we were able to text them back home as well on the iPods.

My daughter and I both purchased while on the Breeze at Christmas. Worked well to let me use facebook to message my husband and able to chat with my mother too. My daughter also kept in touch with friends through facebook and also the snap chat. Worked pretty well for us. Though I had more issues late at night. It was almost like they turned it off for the evening, just a little odd. Never really encountered issues during the day.

Worried about getting phone calls while my phone is not in airplane mode when using the app. How does that work? Do you turn off cellular? The idea is very cool just don't want any AT&T charges when I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Worried about getting phone calls while my phone is not in airplane mode when using the app. How does that work? Do you turn off cellular?

Turn off roaming, either on your phone or through your carrier. If you don't know how to do either, call your carrier.

Turn off roaming, either on your phone or through your carrier. If you don't know how to do either, call your carrier.

Turning off roaming is not going to help if you put the phone in airplane mode. I, too, do not want to get hit with high charges from Verizon or Cellular at Sea. Does this app work if your phone is in Airplane mode? I am not as worried about phone calls as other apps using airtime.

You can connect to WiFi in Airplane Mode on an iPhone.

Turn on Airplane Mode then turn on Wifi.

I'm posting this using Wifi in Airplane Mode.

Edited by SadieN

No thanks. I go on a cruise to get away from my phones!

You'll likely get lonesome with no one to talk to face to face. All you'll see is people's eyes glued to their phones. Kind of a feeling alone in a crowd feeling.

You can't go anywhere now and truly socialize anymore.

So those of u that have used just the HUB, how do u connect to people? Thinking this eill, be great for keeping contact with my teens. But wouldnalso, love to be able to connect with my roll call peeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

So those of u that have used just the HUB, how do u connect to people? Thinking this eill, be great for keeping contact with my teens. But wouldnalso, love to be able to connect with my roll call peeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

You need to download the APP then when you're on board you can sign on put in your room# and agree to pay the fee and your all set. Just find out what other rooms your family and friends are in and put them in as contacts.