Walking distance of port

malibudez

Help,

I am really struggling with what to do in St. Lucia. Our excursion $$$ is all spent, and we are looking for a nice easy day of strolling, shopping and beaching, preferably walking distance from port. Short/Cheap cab ride is OK too. It is myself, DW, and 2 DS(ages 12&9). Don't really want to stay on the ship all day.

Thanks for your help.

There is little within an easy walk of the ship. The ship docks in the working capitol of Castries, which is not anywhere near the most scenic parts of the islands, or even much of the highlight. Castries is not a pretty city overall.

You can easily walk to the craft and food market. 10-15 minutes from either pier. Orange roof, large semi-open air market with crafts, souvenirs and food market with fresh spices, sauces, local produce, meat and fish market and eateries.

About 10-20 minutes from the pier is Derek Walcott Square, it's a park area. Another few minutes brings you to the Castries Cathedral.

For beach, it's about a 20-30 minute walk to Vigie Beach, which is a lovely local beach - meaning no amenities such as chairs, umbrellas, restrooms, etc. Plenty of natural shade, sea is great for swimming and there are local eats and drinks by the entrance to the airport.

Othewise, grab a taxi and head to Rodney Bay, about 30 minutes north, cab is $30US for 3-4 people. Long stretch of beach, beach bars and restaurants, chairs and umbrellas for rent, watersports for rent, etc.

It's unfortunate that you didn't save any excursion $$$ for the beautiful island as St Lucia is not know for our beaches, but rather for scenery, Pitons, waterfalls, volcano, etc. Our beaches are fine, but not in the class with Turks & Caicos, or Caymans, etc as we are a volcanic island and our sand ranges from light tan to black, our island is mountainous, thus giving lots of coves, etc. It's a spectacularly beautiful island with lots to see and do, but beaches is low on the list. Perhaps reconsider some time to explore the island itself.

Enjoy, whatever you end up doing...

• 11 months later...
There is little within an easy walk of the ship. The ship docks in the working capitol of Castries, which is not anywhere near the most scenic parts of the islands, or even much of the highlight. Castries is not a pretty city overall.

You can easily walk to the craft and food market. 10-15 minutes from either pier. Orange roof, large semi-open air market with crafts, souvenirs and food market with fresh spices, sauces, local produce, meat and fish market and eateries.

About 10-20 minutes from the pier is Derek Walcott Square, it's a park area. Another few minutes brings you to the Castries Cathedral.

For beach, it's about a 20-30 minute walk to Vigie Beach, which is a lovely local beach - meaning no amenities such as chairs, umbrellas, restrooms, etc. Plenty of natural shade, sea is great for swimming and there are local eats and drinks by the entrance to the airport.

Othewise, grab a taxi and head to Rodney Bay, about 30 minutes north, cab is $30US for 3-4 people. Long stretch of beach, beach bars and restaurants, chairs and umbrellas for rent, watersports for rent, etc.

It's unfortunate that you didn't save any excursion $$$ for the beautiful island as St Lucia is not know for our beaches, but rather for scenery, Pitons, waterfalls, volcano, etc. Our beaches are fine, but not in the class with Turks & Caicos, or Caymans, etc as we are a volcanic island and our sand ranges from light tan to black, our island is mountainous, thus giving lots of coves, etc. It's a spectacularly beautiful island with lots to see and do, but beaches is low on the list. Perhaps reconsider some time to explore the island itself.

Enjoy, whatever you end up doing...

Thank you for the good information. I have been trying to decide if a full day excursion away from the port would be worth it. I am trying to decide between Spencer Ambrose Jalousie Beach Break and his Land and sea tour. I just don't know if 5 hours on the beach is too much...especially since you say the beaches there are not the best. What do you think of this beach? The land and sea tour offers the volcano, waterfall, banana plantation plus 2 hours on the beach. What do you think?? Thanks so much for the information!

Thank you for the good information. I have been trying to decide if a full day excursion away from the port would be worth it. I am trying to decide between Spencer Ambrose Jalousie Beach Break and his Land and sea tour. I just don't know if 5 hours on the beach is too much...especially since you say the beaches there are not the best. What do you think of this beach? The land and sea tour offers the volcano, waterfall, banana plantation plus 2 hours on the beach. What do you think?? Thanks so much for the information!

When I mention that our beaches are not Thr best, I mean in comparison to those of places like Caymans or Turks, etc. We don't have miles upon miles of white sand beaches, we're a volcanic mountainous island and our beaches range from light tan to black sand and are Mainly in beautiful coves. People occasionally find themselves disappointed because their expectations of the Caribbean are Mikes of white sand (obviously, those are the folks who did little research!)

Jalousie Beach is beautiful and the scenery is stunning - nestled in a protected Cove smack between the iconic Pitons, great snorkeling, etc. It is imported white sand - the resort thinks that's important somehow - rather than the natural tan colored. Water is clear, calm, etc. It's a great beach and surroundings can't be beat.

Given the island's uniqueness though, a visit to the volcano, waterfall, etc is definitely a great idea. It's a rare location where you can see so much beauty in one small area!

Enjoy your visit.

we thoroughly enjoyed the land and sea tour with Spencer.

by taking the speed boat you avoid spending hours on a bus, and arrive at the volcano and beach before the crowds descend!

we had lunch and a couple of hours or so at the beach before a slower boat ride back taking time to stop at points along the way for pictures.

the beach was a darker sand, but the water was lovely.

Help,

I am really struggling with what to do in St. Lucia. Our excursion $$$ is all spent, and we are looking for a nice easy day of strolling, shopping and beaching, preferably walking distance from port. Short/Cheap cab ride is OK too. It is myself, DW, and 2 DS(ages 12&9). Don't really want to stay on the ship all day.

Thanks for your help.

To answer your question there are no beaches nearby, but walking through the town might be a good experience for your boys to see the everyday functioning of the local businesses.

To answer your question there are no beaches nearby, but walking through the town might be a good experience for your boys to see the everyday functioning of the local businesses.

As noted above, Vigie Beach is easy walking distance from the port area...15-30 minutes depending on striking speed. Lots of natural shade, local rum and food shacks, calm swimming waters...

Island tour is Always a great option as our Island is somewhat atypical of others with the Pitons, rainforest, mountains, etc...lots to do and see, whatever you may choose...

• 2 weeks later...
As noted above, Vigie Beach is easy walking distance from the port area...15-30 minutes depending on striking speed. Lots of natural shade, local rum and food shacks, calm swimming waters...

Island tour is Always a great option as our Island is somewhat atypical of others with the Pitons, rainforest, mountains, etc...lots to do and see, whatever you may choose...

So how do you get to this beach from the port? I have been there two other times and would just enjoy the walk, beach and local food shacks and some local rum! Thank you

So how do you get to this beach from the port? I have been there two other times and would just enjoy the walk, beach and local food shacks and some local rum! Thank you

Exit whichever pier area you're docked at, hang a left and head towards the airport. Walk up past the end of the runway, hang a left again, pass the graveyard and the beach will be on your right. Can't miss it, food and rum shacks will be down near the airport entrance....

Anyone along the way can help you out...

Exit whichever pier area you're docked at, hang a left and head towards the airport. Walk up past the end of the runway, hang a left again, pass the graveyard and the beach will be on your right. Can't miss it, food and rum shacks will be down near the airport entrance....

Anyone along the way can help you out...

Thank you for the information!