Idea for Moms 80th!

Hi All,

A group of 8 of us will be celebrating my moms 80th birthday on Brillance of the Seas 5- night out of Tama this coming April.

Only been on a few cruises myself & never on Royal Carribean, so, not very cruise savy. :) Could you give me any ideas on how to make this a bit more special for her?

Our port-of-calls are Grand Cayman (which is on her birthday) and Cozumel.

Should we do a specialty resturant the night of her birthday, instead of main dining room?

Are we allowed to decorate her room?

Thanks for any ideas!

Hi All,

A group of 8 of us will be celebrating my moms 80th birthday on Brillance of the Seas 5- night out of Tama this coming April.

Only been on a few cruises myself & never on Royal Carribean, so, not very cruise savy. :) Could you give me any ideas on how to make this a bit more special for her?

Should we do a specialty resturant the night of her birthday, instead of main dining room?

Thanks for any ideas!

definitely go for a specialty. you can even do some advance planning and maybe get a special treat with whatever dessert she orders

you can also pre order room decorations or flowers or a cake/other goodies.

I just took my mom on Freedom last October for her 80th. We had a group of 5 on board. I splurged for a grand suite for Mom, me and my adult daughter. She is almost Diamond + and had never been in a suite. My daughter brought a pin that lit up and said '80 and awesome' that we made her wear the first day. I also had a wrapped gift for her for every day of the cruise. Nothing hugely expensive - things like a pair of earrings, a tote bag, a colorful scarf, etc. She felt special for the entire 7 days.

We did the italian specialty restaurant to celebrate the actual birthday. Although we did chef's table another night, it was not what I would call a celebration atmosphere. It was more low key. I would save the money and do one of the specialty restaurants.

Whatever you do will be wonderful. Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Barb

Thank you Barb for your ideas! Mom would love a gift everyday! Cute idea about the pin--I was thinking of doing a birthday tiara.

We are just doing a balcony since it is in our budget...but, the suite sounds fabulous.

Anyone else have opinions on speciality restuarant vs. chefs table for birthday dinner?

I meant to ask...Is the chefs table in the Main Dining Room Kitchen or a speciality restuarant?

I know on Radiance (and I assume it's the same on Brilliance), it's held in a sectioned-off area of Chops Grill. You can go into the Cruise Planner on your booking and look at the details of the Chef's Table and it should mention where it's held.

When my mother was 80 the last thing she'd want for her 80th Birthday was dinner with 8 in the evening. Lunch with 8 was more to her liking.

You could ask her how she likes to celebrate.

In MDR and at Chef's Table the time at a table is a consideration.

How is her hearing? Can she enjoy the large group in the MDR?

Does she prefer conversations in a quiet place with a few people at a time.

The ideas here are predominately about dining. I recommend a Specialty Restaurant for flexibility and less commotion.

Thanks for the tip Joe.

Claire I think she would be fine with late dinner...she is such a night owl. Her hearing is pretty good...the most important thing is for her to be with her family--no matter, and will love to be the center of attention...haha. Although, you do bring up a good point about the commotion factor.

At this point I'm leaning toward speciality...because there may be less commotion then the chefs table. Although, maybe someone can comment. The chefs tables I've seen have always been in kitchen, although fun--lots of commotion.

Thanks for the tip Joe.

Claire I think she would be fine with late dinner...she is such a night owl. Her hearing is pretty good...the most important thing is for her to be with her family--no matter, and will love to be the center of attention...haha. Although, you do bring up a good point about the commotion factor.

At this point I'm leaning toward speciality...because there may be less commotion then the chefs table. Although, maybe someone can comment. The chefs tables I've seen have always been in kitchen, although fun--lots of commotion.

Again, I would suggest you check the location of the Chefs Table on Brilliance. It could well be that it's a relatively secluded area of a specialty restaurant and exactly what you're looking for. Regardless, best wishes to your family on your Mom's 80th and hoping it's all you hope for. :)

Edited by joepeka

Apr 4 is my husband birthday, and we will be cruising on BR (apr 2 and Apr 6)

We will have dinner at Giovanni's (our favorite) and during the day, a small get together in our cabin...

Happy Birthday to your Mom!!!

Franca

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Franca

going2alaska, what a fun celebration planned for your mom's 80th on the beautiful Brilliance! With her loving to be the center of attention, definitely place a tiara on her, that's exactly what we did for my Mom's 80th! :D

I like the idea of 'a gift a day' and celebrate every day of the cruise!

You can call Royal Caribbean's Gifts & Gear department at (800) 722-5443 to order the cabin decorations and other bon voyage gifts, such as flowers for her stateroom, slippers, etc. See RCI's website ('Before You Board') for selections.

The Chef's Table is located on Deck 6 (aft), across from the Colony Club. Here is a description:

"Experience a once-in-a-lifetime culinary experience. In this exclusive space, 16 guests will enjoy a five-course menu of gourmet selections specially prepared and personally presented by the Chef de Cuisine. Every course is accompanied by wine pairings chosen to enhance your enjoyment of each dish."

If your mom would enjoy gourmet dining, that sounds wonderful. Personally, my mother and I would prefer a reservation at Chops Grille, for a delicious filet. (Also, Giovanni's Table is a casual Italian trattoria that serves family-style).

Just wanted to mention a few things about the ship. You will enjoy views everywhere, with her three acres of glass, including glass elevators! Relax at the adult-only Solarium pool, with nearby Park Cafe for salads, paninis, sandwiches, coffee, etc. Also, the MDR is good for breakfast and lunch, be waited on and order off the menu instead of going to the Windjammer buffet.

Btw, two bottles of wine per stateroom are permitted to be brought on board.

Have a wonderful celebration and best wishes to your mom! :)

Hi All,

Thanks for any ideas!

If your mom is up for it health and mobility-wise, I'd consider an excursion to Stingray City on Grand Cayman. We have been to the Caymans three times and have done this each time. That would make a memorable adventure on her 80th. There are many tour companies for this. We used one called Duncan's...can't link the website here but do a Google search. One of their recent reviews mentions a family whose 80-year old Grandma got into the water and was "kissed" by a stingray. The crew takes pictures so you'd have an awesome memory of her birthday. Even if she chose not to get off of the boat, it is a beautiful ride there and fun to see all the stingrays.

Hi All,

Thanks for any ideas!

Maybe treat her to a manicure in the spa onboard or Grand Cayman has a ton of shopping. Maybe buy her a small piece of jewelry to remember the trip and her birthday by!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

I'm looking into sting ray excursion. Not sure she can handle that, but, still going to check it out.

Was thinking about doing messages ocean side (at Cozumel), in lieu of ship spa.

Also, still going to consider chefs table....dosen't sound like your typical 'chefs table'. Went on RCI web site and read a bit on it.

The more people comment about this ship, the more I think I picked the right one! Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

If cabin types have a budget, I would pass on Chef's table since its pretty pricey. I would instead do Portofino (the Italian specialty) which will serve family style, isn't so stuffy/snooty. You'll be able to have fun, laugh, drink vino, sing happy birthday....make her feel special.

Have fun, its a great celebration. Make sure you are say in the Viking Crown lounge when you go under the sky bridge the day you leave. The captain will make an announcement. Unfortunately most people are eating dinner or getting ready, but don't miss it. Looks like you are going to hit it, but of course you don't.

Make sure you are say in the Viking Crown lounge when you go under the sky bridge the day you leave. The captain will make an announcement. Unfortunately most people are eating dinner or getting ready, but don't miss it. Looks like you are going to hit it, but of course you don't.

By any chance would you know how long it takes after sail away to pass under the bridge? Currently our departure is at 4pm. Sounds like something fun not to miss.

Thanks!

By any chance would you know how long it takes after sail away to pass under the bridge? Currently our departure is at 4pm. Sounds like something fun not to miss.

Thanks!

Apparently a couple of hours, around 6 p.m. (when many people are at first seating for dinner). The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is beautiful, and I've driven over the old one as well. :eek: Would love to sail under it! This is from a Brilliance review last year:

Brilliance slowly slips her moorings a little before 4pm and we make our way out of the port of Tampa. 2 hours later we gather with a lot of the other passengers on the top forward deck as we sail beneath the Sunshine Skyway Bridge that spans the entrance to the causeway.

12913248353_96957ff097_c.jpg

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

I'm looking into sting ray excursion. Not sure she can handle that, but, still going to check it out.

Was thinking about doing messages ocean side (at Cozumel), in lieu of ship spa.

Also, still going to consider chefs table....dosen't sound like your typical 'chefs table'. Went on RCI web site and read a bit on it.

The more people comment about this ship, the more I think I picked the right one! Many thanks for taking the time to respond!

If you decide to do Stingray City, be sure you choose a boat that will be easy for Mom to get off and back on if she should so choose. Many of the boats have ladders which she might find difficult to climb. Marineland Tours has a boat, the Cayman Explorer, they use for Stingray City with a wide stairway used to enter and exit the water, and is also wheelchair accessible if necessary. Cayman Explorer also has a large, flat deck area with regular tables and chairs so she might be more comfortable if she decides to stay on board.

A couple of other ideas for Grand Cayman are the Turtle Farm where Mom could see a turtle about the same age as she is. You can book directly with the Turtle Farm on their website, and it is easy to get to by taxi. The QE2 Botanical Garden is nice, but it is a little bit of a ride from port, and the Pedro St James castle is nice as well.

I am sure that you will have a great time whatever you decide to do. I hope your Mom has a very happy 80th birthday.

Thank you jmf for info going under the bridge!

Perfect Match appreciate the info on the boats. I think if we do that excursion, the cayman explorer sounds like the way to go. But, I do like your other suggestions and going to look into them too. Thank you!