Surge Protectors

dickinson

Are we allowed to bring surge protectors? I had read on here many months ago about a Belkin 3 outlet surge protector that rotates. I tried to find the thread but found others instead from a few years ago on other cruise lines that said they were sometimes confiscated. What is the deal on Princess?

In my experience I have never had a surge protector/power bar confiscated or unplugged. But than I only plug my phone chargers and laptop on it. I just take 1 power bar with me.

Like most things if you do not go overboard with it there shouldn't be a problem. Those who bring multiple bars and plug them into each other and have wires spiderwebed out from it creating a fire hazard get them removed.

We always take a Belkin mini. On one cruise they brought us another surge protector and asked us to unplug our. They said it was causing interference with their equipment. We were in an aft cabin that time so maybe it had something to do with location.

Are we allowed to bring surge protectors? I had read on here many months ago about a Belkin 3 outlet surge protector that rotates. I tried to find the thread but found others instead from a few years ago on other cruise lines that said they were sometimes confiscated. What is the deal on Princess?

Better to bring a HD extension cord to plug in your Belkin 3 outlet surge protector that rotates. Why? Because it may be a tight fit plugging the Belkin directly into the electrical outlet as the base of the Belkin may interfere or overlap with the light switch and telephone cord next to the electrical outlets.

note in my photo: camera battery power brick plugged directly into the electrical outlet, and it did not fit completely flush. Interferes with the operation of light on/off switch.

BTW: had absolutely no issues with the extension cord or Belkin surge protector on our last Princess cruise on Star.

image.jpg.67b166730ac9bf17cdaf24540cf47119.jpg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Better to bring an extension cord to plug in your Belkin 3 outlet surge protector that rotates. Why? Because it'sa tight fit plugging the belkin directly into the electrical outlet as the base of the Belkin may interfere or overlap with the light switch next to the electrical outlets.

note in my photo: camera battery power brick plugged directly into the electrical outlet, and it did not fit completely flush. Interferes with the operation of light on/off switch.

Thanks. We are in a Window Suite for our 15 day cruise (don't know yet our cabin for our 4 day) and the outlet has plenty of room to the right to rotate the Belkin.

We have not yet bought the Belkin but are planning to do so shortly.

We always take a surge protector with us to use with my cpap machine. It's never been an issue. We also take an extension cord to use if the wall receptacle is too far away for the cpap cord to reach.

This is what we do also, for the same reasons. Never had a problem.:)

We always take a Belkin mini. On one cruise they brought us another surge protector and asked us to unplug our. They said it was causing interference with their equipment. We were in an aft cabin that time so maybe it had something to do with location.

So I could ask the steward for a power strip and a converter plug (sailing on the Golden Princess which is equipped for US standards) and safely recharge my camera and laptop? I normally use the laptop connected to the power point, have found the display is brighter and easier to see for me this way. As a fireman's daughter, am well aware of the risks posed by overheating appliances, a curling iron left on an electric blanket caused a house fire, so am very cautious!

Cruise Critic Forum members have SUCH a wide variety of experience, I personally believe there's no problem unsolvable by them!

Crochetcruise :cool:

So I could ask the steward for a power strip and a converter plug (sailing on the Golden Princess which is equipped for US standards) and safely recharge my camera and laptop? I normally use the laptop connected to the power point, have found the display is brighter and easier to see for me this way. As a fireman's daughter, am well aware of the risks posed by overheating appliances, a curling iron left on an electric blanket caused a house fire, so am very cautious!

Cruise Critic Forum members have SUCH a wide variety of experience, I personally believe there's no problem unsolvable by them!

Crochetcruise :cool:

It wasn't the room steward that brought us the power strip. I don't know what position they held but they were concerned with their telemetry. I kind of doubt they have them on hand for passenger's use and especially doubt they would have a converter. When we travel outside the U.S. we always take our converters and adapter with us. We were in an aft Vista suite on the Sapphire and I really got the impression that our Belkin caused a problem because of the location of our cabin. We've used it a lot on other cruises and never had an issue.

I use the Belkin surge protector but only leave it plugged in while I'm in the stateroom. If they don't see it and don't know you have it because it's kept in a drawer it shouldn't be a problem. It's great because it can be rotated to make the best fit. If it's a tight fit as someone posted bring a short extension cord and plug it into the cord. Remember a possible extra plug where the TV plugs in.

Tom:)

Are we allowed to post links to Amazon products? If not, my apologies, feel free to remove the post.

A few years ago, I considered buying one of those belkin chargers, with the 3 AC plugs and 2 USB ports... pro tip: if you get that, and have an iPad, make sure you get the 2.1 amp version, not the 1.1 or 1.0 amp.. or the iPad won't charge/or will charge really slowly.

The reason I didn't get the Belkin one is due to the shape. Just like Kingofcool1947 mentioned... Yes, it swivels 360 degrees, but sometimes you just don't have the outlet wallplace space to plug it in all the way. I ended up getting a mini power strip.. it's not a surge protection device, bear in mind. But it was half the cost and is smaller than a full on power strip. It runs at 120V 60Hz, which is what the Princess ships use (according to their website) and what most USA electrical systems run, trains, hotels, houses, offices, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by tbonecopper

We cruised on the Diamond Princess in Dec 2014. We brought with us a Kambrook 5 outlets with separate off/on switches and a converter - no problems.

You may like to bring a standard and mini USB to charge your phone to the TV, another cruiser mentioned this to me.

Happy cruising.

Thanks all. Our local Home Depot has it in stock but it is $31.99. That is the most expensive I have seen it. Actually the only place I have physically seen it :( Online I have found it many places and many places it says it is out of stock. It is not even on the Belkin website. Possibly being discontinued? I found many sites where it is a lot less but never mentions that it is 2.1 amps so I am thinking it is the 1 amp model. I do have an IPad so want the 2.1 amp model. I think I will break down and purchase this at Home Depot and just pay the inflated price.

Thanks all. Our local Home Depot has it in stock but it is $31.99. That is the most expensive I have seen it. Actually the only place I have physically seen it :( Online I have found it many places and many places it says it is out of stock. It is not even on the Belkin website. Possibly being discontinued? I found many sites where it is a lot less but never mentions that it is 2.1 amps so I am thinking it is the 1 amp model. I do have an IPad so want the 2.1 amp model. I think I will break down and purchase this at Home Depot and just pay the inflated price.

I was just able to add the 2.1 amp 3 outlet model to my shopping cart on amazon.com for $19.95.

I was just able to add the 2.1 amp 3 outlet model to my shopping cart on amazon.com for $19.95.

That is their price if you have Prime which I do not. I did find it in their marketplace for $16.50 with $4.99 shipping from a 3rd party vendor. Might go with that. They have 97% positive over the last 12 months.

I just bought one on Friday from Amazon. Paid $20. I'm a Prime member os the shipping was free.

Oops, I didn't read page two before I answered. Sorry.

In case you (or anyone else) didn't know, you can have up to three separate households on one Amazon Prime membership. My parent's, my daughter and I all share one Prime acct. We split the cost. We all three live at different addresses.

I just bought one on Friday from Amazon. Paid $20. I'm a Prime member os the shipping was free.

Have used the Belkin and have run into problems with it not fitting into certain outlets in various places. To replace the Belkin we bought this

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F877VDO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a bit bulkier to carry but has worked fine so far and no problems plugging it in anywhere.

Edited by AZJerry