Dare We Rent a Car?

We are on Brilliance's transatlantic in May. Thinking of renting a car in Cherbourg to drive to DDAY beaches. We have never driven in France. First, are there car rental offices near the ship? Is this an easy drive? Will we have enough time? Time in port is 2-9 pm.

Edited by GulfCoastCruiser
new title

We did it a few years ago. Pre booked a car from http://www.europcar.com/ (and got a free upgrade!). They come and pick you up from the port and take you to their office (about 1 mile away), and they'll drop you back at the end of the day. All the D Day sites are well signposted...it is a big tourist attraction! All you have to remember is one main road runs from Cherbourg - Bayeaux - Caens. If you get lost going to the beaches etc, just head south until you hit it and you just turn west to head back to Cherbourg...no problem at all and its by far the best way to see what you want. You should have time to see the US beaches, Pont du Hoch, St Mere l'Eglise and associated museums. Head to the furthest point east and work your way back (so you won't be caught out by the clock!) A nice day out!

Simon

I've toured the Landing Beaches several times. Due to your time in port, and location, I suggest driving only to one of the beaches - you won't have time for anything more.

The closest is Utah - it has a great museum there - it closes at 6pm. I would do that one . You can spend 2 hours in the museum easily - it's a very nice one! IMO, it's the nicest museum in all of the beaches.

The next beach is Omaha, which has the most to see, but some of the stuff there closes at 5pm. The American Cemetery (opening scene of Saving Private Ryan) is there. Point Du Hoc is close, but its museums are OK - imo, not as good as Utah's. The Utah museum is directly on the beach too, which is cool.

But, as far as renting a car - no problem!

You will also have plenty of daylight - the sun sets at around 9pm in May.

Edited by Toddcan

Please note that rental cars are marked with a special decal. Thieves target theses cars so make sure you leave nothing of value in the car. I learned this the hard way when I got out of the car for just a quick stop and had my back pack in trunk. Within a few minutes the thieves had taken the bags. I didn't even realize they were gone until we stopped again.

Renting and returning the car was easy enough.