What don't I get with the Classic Pkg?

Musigurl

.......................Glenlivet on Classic? That's a new one, the best I've ever seen is Glenfiddich, and when they were out really couldn't be talked into substituting Glenlivet..................

ORV, you are absolutely correct, I stand corrected: it was Glenfiddich on the Classic. Guess I was having too much fun trying the Scotch. Regarding the wine, I still think the upgrade was worth it; compared to most, Celebrity supposedly has the best selection of wines. But their prices are outrageous.

You have cruised a lot, go and look at some of the cabin statements you brought home. Based on what you have bought before, you will have the best road map ever! If OJ out of a 5 gallon concentrate mix is pleasing to your taste buds, and the same for what they want to convince us is coffee, you will be Okie dokie:D

You get the fresh squeezed with classic. Not sure where people get their info.....

I love Chardonnay. Last time on Reflection I upgraded to premium to get a good glass.

That was in 2013. Will I need to upgrade again in 2014? Do they have anything good on classic?

PS I really liked the Celebrity Cellarmaster's Chardonnay.

At that time it wasn't on the Classic package.

So, if I walk up to a bar and order, say, a martini, how will I tell them I am classic so I don't pay extra? Sorry if I am being stupid!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They'll see it on the card and take care of you. Don't worry! If they can't they'll tell you. Worked well for us.

I love Chardonnay. Last time on Reflection I upgraded to premium to get a good glass.

That was in 2013. Will I need to upgrade again in 2014? Do they have anything good on classic?

PS I really liked the Celebrity Cellarmaster's Chardonnay.

At that time it wasn't on the Classic package.

From what I understand the menus are always changing. I tried ordering several of the wines and were told they did not have any. We ended up settling on a wine that was covered under classic but not listed on the menu.

I had asked the sommelier if there was a better selection at cellar masters and I should go to cellar masters for my glass of wine before dinner. She told me they had the same selection at cellar masters as the MDR for classic package wines.

I've read here about the sommeliers being very helpful. I did not find mine to be particularly knowledgeable or helpful. She couldn't even pour a glass of wine properly (no flick of the wrist at the end of the pour) and was always spilling wine drops on our table. This was on Reflection. Can't recall her name, but I doubt there are too many female sommeliers.

From what I understand the menus are always changing. I tried ordering several of the wines and were told they did not have any. We ended up settling on a wine that was covered under classic but not listed on the menu.

I had asked the sommelier if there was a better selection at cellar masters and I should go to cellar masters for my glass of wine before dinner. She told me they had the same selection at cellar masters as the MDR for classic package wines.

I've read here about the sommeliers being very helpful. I did not find mine to be particularly knowledgeable or helpful. She couldn't even pour a glass of wine properly (no flick of the wrist at the end of the pour) and was always spilling wine drops on our table. This was on Reflection. Can't recall her name, but I doubt there are too many female sommeliers.

Thank you

I had the premium last time and visited Cellar Masters. The chard they recommended wasn't that good, and that was premium. I think I'll try the sommeliers in the MDR as suggested, perhaps I'll have better luck.

If not, I'll try all kinds and switch over if I can't find one I like.

That will be fun!:p

Thanks for all the responses! I've actually had (courtesy of TA) the Premium Alcohol package before. Loved it, but didn't really pay attention to whether or not what I was drinking would have been covered if I'd only had the Classic.

For my upcoming cruise, I have (again courtesy of TA) the Classic package, plus $150/person obc. So, the big question is -- do I stick with the Classic, or use my obc to upgrade to the Premium?

I don't have any of my invoices from previous cruises to compare (do people actually keep those?)

I think I'll try the Classic for the first couple of nights, and if I keep being denied my favourites, I'll upgrade.

One thing I noticed on my August cruise on the Connie was the inconsistency of wine availability in the bars. We had the classic package and half the bars had the classic wines and the others didn't. What worked out really well was when the bar did not have what was supposed to be available on the classic package they usually had a substitute which was often better than what was supposed to be available.

A good idea to start out with the classic then upgrade when you get bored with the limited wine selection or when you decide you want a better quality wine.

And to the poster who was worried about paying for a martini about the classic, don't be shy. They may see your card but nothing wrong saying you have the classic package and want to know what is available. Saves time.

Edited by RickT

You will get bottled water, but not sparkling water. Many cocktails are included. There are a few martinis that are available in a smaller size (cosmo, appletini, among a couple others). DH was able to get his rusty nail (scotch and Drambuie). I believe Smoothies are in the premium. Had no problem getting frozen drinks (pina coladas; frozen margaritas; frozen daiquiries; drink of the day - without the souvenir glass). Soda is included in the package. The Molecular Bar and the Martini Bar are mostly premium drinks (see comment above about the smaller martinis).

We originally planned on upgrading on board, but never felt the need to.

You can upgrade to premium up until the third day before disembarkation. You therefore have the time to check out the classic and then upgrade if you want to.

What mom said. It worked well for us. No drink up charges.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful information on this thread. Question: If I were to upgrade from classic to premium midway through, would I still have to pay the difference for every day of the entire cruise, or just the number of days after I chose the upgrade?

Thanks for all the helpful information on this thread. Question: If I were to upgrade from classic to premium midway through, would I still have to pay the difference for every day of the entire cruise, or just the number of days after I chose the upgrade?

Greetings

Only the days remaining. You can "test drive" the Classic package and then decide if you need to upgrade. You only are charged for the number of upgraded days. You have to upgrade for all remaining days, i.e. you can't upgrade just days 3,4,5 of a 7 day cruise.

Good Sailing

Tom

FYI....I can tell you that on one cruise, on the last day, I actually saw a bartender pouring Absolute in the Grey Goose bottle. So.....:eek:

I don't doubt it. A friendly bartender indicated the Beefeater in the Elite package was not really Beefeater at least at his venue. We didn't have to be told, believe me.

But this leads to another question: what government authority, if any, is responsible for oversight. Once at sea I guess all bets are off.

One of the big benefits to us was being able to pay the difference in more expensive wines by the glass. With the classic you have to pay the whole thing, not just the difference.

This is what we found. We found the wines in the Classic Package lacking over a longer cruise, especially in Murano. For spirits, the Classic Package is more than adequate.

Thanks, Tunaman Tom! One more question if you don't mind -- if we start out with no beverage package, and then partway through the cruise we decide to sign-up, would we pay for just the days used, or have to also 'back-pay?'

Thanks, Tunaman Tom! One more question if you don't mind -- if we start out with no beverage package, and then partway through the cruise we decide to sign-up, would we pay for just the days used, or have to also 'back-pay?'

Greetings

You only pay for the remaining days of your cruise. If you sign up on day 2 of a 7 day cruise you pay for 6 days.

Good Sailing

Tom

Thanks for that link, Gordoncruichshank. Looking at some of the posts I was beginning to think there was nothing drinkable on the Classic package. However, we will be well satisfied with what is on offer ....... but I didn't see any Laphroaig or Isle of Jura!!!!!