Uncomfortable Beds!!!

j&ps

If that is all it takes to say you are going to sail with other companies , then go , enjoy

I am sick of all the I'M GOING TO LEAVE ... threats , just go

Wow - you sure do sound like an unhappy person. I didn't threaten to leave, I said I was leaving. If you had the same back issues that I do including pinching nerves that cause extreme migraine - perhaps you'd be more understanding. Until just a few years ago there was not one bed that was an issue but things change as we age. At least in a hotel/motel, you can change rooms or hotels. For those that don't have back issues, count yourselves very fortunate. Now I think enough has been said about this issue - Happy Sailing.

Now I know, that if the bed is uncomfortable to ask for assistance. Also...through Care Vacations you can rent a recliner, etc., for problem backs. My DH has sever arthritis and we rent a recliner for him which gives him a place to rest comfortably and recharge during our cruises.

Thanks for posting this! I didn't realize this was an option. I am wondering how this fits in a cabin that is already "crowded." Do they remove one of the twin beds?

On my first few cruises, I loved, loved, loved the beds. This was between 2 different cruise lines (Carnival and Royal Caribbean) and 4 different ships. All of them were awesome. Then on my last cruise (on Princess), the bed was awful. I was so excited to sleep on a cruise ship bed knowing how comfortable they were in the past and I was so disappointed. I asked for an egg crate which sort of helped but it was nothing like the previous cruises I went on. I don't believe it was the cruise line or the ship. I just think I had a bad mattress which was just luck of the draw. Next time I'll speak up and ask for a replacement if I end up with another lemon of a mattress.

Guest maddycat

I've been asking for an egg crate on the last few cruises because I find the mattresses to be too hard. I also think that it would help if the mattresses were flipped once in a while.

Next to my own bed, the bed on my recent Allure cruise was the best bed I've ever slept in. I would easily have it in my home.

Now, my bed on the Voyager was hard like a board. Maybe as new ships roll out they are upgrading the beds?

Interesting. I thought Princess was known for their uncomfortable beds and HAL was known for their very comfy beds. I can attest to both of those statements.

However, sounds like each cabin's bed is different on each ship on each cruise line so you never know what you'll get. Bummer.

I had an egg crate and duvet to sleep on and it's still not enough. Need about a 6" memory foam to make a difference. And I'm not a large person.

With back issues, if the mattress doesn't give it puts pressure on other nerves, etc. A real pain - literally and figuratively. We've sailed on several cruise lines - find Holland the best for beds with NCL and Princess before the back issues so don't remember the beds. Guess we'll spend our cruise $ seeing more of America using the car.

If you ever get back on RCCL try taking that duvet (there's usually an extra one under the bed, by the way), and folding it in half. Sleeping on a folded duvet PLUS the mattress foam topper does the trick for me, and I am nicknamed "The Princess and the Pea" by my husband.

Next to my own bed, the bed on my recent Allure cruise was the best bed I've ever slept in. I would easily have it in my home.

Now, my bed on the Voyager was hard like a board. Maybe as new ships roll out they are upgrading the beds?

Or, it could be the Voyager mattresses are a lot older than the ones on Allure. :o

We are just back from a B2B on Jewel of the Seas. The first week we were in 9256 and it was a HORRIBLE mattress. I have never had any problem sleeping on a cruise before but this was the most uncomfortable bed I believe I have ever slept on...anywhere. The 2nd week we were in a Junior Suite, 1586...our first JS. I was absolutely shocked to have a thicker mattress in the JS than in our balcony room...just didn't expect that and had never heard that from cruisers before. My in-laws were with us and they stayed in a balcony cabin the 2nd week. It surprised me so much that I actually measured our mattress and then went down and measured theirs...significantly thicker. Anyway, the thicker mattress in the JS was infinitely more comfortable than the first one.