Confused about promotions

dcu

Hi. Thinking of booking Escape for Jan. 2016. See that the promotion of UBP, UDP or $200 (for balcony room) is being offered. Does it include two people in a cabin? (Meaning both in cabin receive the dining promotion)

We are not huge drinkers - at most one drink by the pool and wine every night, so thinking that package is not worth it.

We are definitely interested in the specialty dining, but I calculate that for two in a cabin, if we did specialty dining four of the nights, it would not total over $200. Perhaps I am missing something in trying to figure out which promotion would be best for us?

As always, thank you for the insight.

Here's how I would look at it:

Regardless of how much you DO drink .... the savings from the beverage package (and YES it is for two people) is close to 900 dollars for a 7 night cruise. If you chose to pay for it yourself you would spend that figure purchasing it. So, by getting the UBP for free, any drinks you do buy are for FREE, and you also have the freedom of also trying new things that might not have tried before with no financial risk whatsoever. No one NEEDS to drink alcoholic beverages or soft drinks on a cruise, but it is nice to be able to do so for free and not have to worry about a bill at the end of the week. Just because you have a free beverage package doesn'y mean you have to drink a lot, but it does allow you the peace of mind and freedom to maybe try some new cocktails that you might not do if you had to pay high prices for them.

Now, I'm confused. I did understand that UBP and/or UDP were for each passenger; however, when I was booking a cruise, the OBC showed up as $200. not $400. Did I think is was $200. per person? IDK. I chose AARP discount instead (no combined promo in Dec) as it was a little more. When I contacted my PCC to book, she indicated $200. That would still cover the dining for 4 nights with maybe a couple of glasses of wine depending on which restaurants. I do like the way cliff64 views it. 😉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

If you are having a pool drink and (1?) glass of wine each per night that would probably add up to about $240 (guesstimating $15 per person per day). Dining you are saying would be about $200 (you only want to do 4 meals). Going by these numbers, you would do better to take the UBP and pay the $200 for the dining you want to do.

Now, I'm confused. I did understand that UBP and/or UDP were for each passenger; however, when I was booking a cruise, the OBC showed up as $200. not $400. I chose AARP discount instead (no combined promo in Dec) as it was a little more. When I contacted my PCC to book, she indicated $200. That would still cover the dining for 4 nights. I do like the way cliff64 views it. 😉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The OBC is a single amount is based upon the CABIN category and not the people IN the cabin. For example, we booked a suite, for which we received ALL the promotional items. Along with the UDP and UBP for both of us individually, we received $300 OBC as well... for the cabin... not each of us.

Thanks for clarification. Website says, "Haven and Suites", but perhaps they are one in the same? Website shows - inside, oceanview, balcony, spa, mini suites and Haven. Thanks!!

Some ships don't have a haven so that's why they specify both.

Hi. Thinking of booking Escape for Jan. 2016. See that the promotion of UBP, UDP or $200 (for balcony room) is being offered. Does it include two people in a cabin? (Meaning both in cabin receive the dining promotion)

We are not huge drinkers - at most one drink by the pool and wine every night, so thinking that package is not worth it.

We are definitely interested in the specialty dining, but I calculate that for two in a cabin, if we did specialty dining four of the nights, it would not total over $200. Perhaps I am missing something in trying to figure out which promotion would be best for us?

As always, thank you for the insight.

If WE were booking, we would probably go for the UBP, as drinks are usually our biggest expense on a ship. And we do drink a little more than you, but if it were not offered for free, it would definitely not be cost effective to pay $900 for a UBP when we would only drink $400 worth of booze.

We usually end up in one of the MDRs or buffet or O'Sheehan's 2 or three nights, and if you are the same, the UDP might not give you the biggest bang for your buck. But, if you think you would enjoy a specialty every night, then this might be the best way to go.

Just run a quick estimate on what you'd actually spend on drinks and specialties. If neither add up to $200, then just take the $200 OBC. Just because something is "valued" at $900 (UBP), does not mean it is actually worth that to you, if you will not fully utilize it.

The OBC is a single amount is based upon the CABIN category and not the people IN the cabin. For example, we booked a suite, for which we received ALL the promotional items. Along with the UDP and UBP for both of us individually, we received $300 OBC as well... for the cabin... not each of us.

Thanks. I think I knew that. Makes your UBP suggestion an even better choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Rhea98

A previous post said everyone in the cabin gets UBP. That is incorrect.

Promo until jan 31 choice of:

$200 obc per cabin meaning $100pp for persons 1 and 2. (NCL applies it to each person separately)

Or

UDP for all in cabin regardless of how many

Or

UBP for persons 1 and 2. If there are more the rest get soda package instead.

If hawaii, ubp is replaced with air credit.

UDP is worth $119 per person. OBC is $100pp. So if you think you will drink more than $119 per person on the cruise the UBP is the best choice even if you won't drink the full value. UBP does include soda so even include that into your calculations. Go with whatever will save you money in the long run.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Here's how I would look at it:

Regardless of how much you DO drink .... the savings from the beverage package (and YES it is for two people) is close to 900 dollars for a 7 night cruise. If you chose to pay for it yourself you would spend that figure purchasing it. So, by getting the UBP for free, any drinks you do buy are for FREE, and you also have the freedom of also trying new things that might not have tried before with no financial risk whatsoever. No one NEEDS to drink alcoholic beverages or soft drinks on a cruise, but it is nice to be able to do so for free and not have to worry about a bill at the end of the week. Just because you have a free beverage package doesn'y mean you have to drink a lot, but it does allow you the peace of mind and freedom to maybe try some new cocktails that you might not do if you had to pay high prices for them.

I agree with you. I'm looking forward to booking a cruise on Norwegian Escape during this promotion, and would choose the UBP for the reasons you stated.

A previous post said everyone in the cabin gets UBP. That is incorrect.

Promo until jan 31 choice of:

$200 obc per cabin meaning $100pp for persons 1 and 2. (NCL applies it to each person separately)

Or

UDP for all in cabin regardless of how many

Or

UBP for persons 1 and 2. If there are more the rest get soda package instead.

If hawaii, ubp is replaced with air credit.

UDP is worth $119 per person. OBC is $100pp. So if you think you will drink more than $119 per person on the cruise the UBP is the best choice even if you won't drink the full value. UBP does include soda so even include that into your calculations. Go with whatever will save you money in the long run.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

UDP is not necessarily worth $119 per person. There is no restriction on which venues you choose and how many times you go. If you dine at Cagney's all 7 nights, that is $210 per person and worth much more than a $100 OBC per person.

UDP is not necessarily worth $119 per person. There is no restriction on which venues you choose and how many times you go. If you dine at Cagney's all 7 nights, that is $210 per person and worth much more than a $100 OBC per person.

For a 7 night cruise that is how much it costs to buy the UDP. So regardless of you use it more... at time of booking (with the promo) it only saves you that much.

But the same argument could be used for UBP too. (Worth more than what you "pay")

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Edited by bowbiter

Thanks for clarification. Website says, "Haven and Suites", but perhaps they are one in the same? Website shows - inside, oceanview, balcony, spa, mini suites and Haven. Thanks!!

Some ships - Dawn Class (Dawn and the Star) do not have Havens but have

something darn near close to it - "Garden Villas" !

That is correct make all Bookings before January 31 2015 !

You are not limited to just one !

thanks-have a call and e-mail in to my TA!!

Then it looks like I will soon start bugging everyone in this forum with questions!!:o

What about longer cruises? We are thinking of booking the repositioning cruise in Oct 2015. This cruise is 14 days. I know we will have to book before the end of the month.

Edited by cruiserssandr
added length of cruise